NC Civil Rights

southslider

Speaker of the House, Tim Moore (R), gets to score a win. Job announcement for 113 manufacturing jobs in Shelby (Cleveland County) from Mafic USA today. This will add ammunition to secure the rural vote and allow them to convince their base in rural areas that they are not impacted by HB2 and only liberal companies that would be in liberal cities are impacted.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Speaker of the House, Tim Moore (R), gets to score a win. Job announcement for 113 manufacturing jobs in Shelby (Cleveland County) from Mafic USA today. This will add ammunition to secure the rural vote and allow them to convince their base in rural areas that they are not impacted by HB2 and only liberal companies that would be in liberal cities are impacted.

Also conveniently announced just a week before the election...

Supreme Court to Rule in Transgender Access Case

The Supreme Court on Friday entered the national debate over transgender rights, announcing that it would decide whether a transgender boy may use the boys’ bathroom in a Virginia high school.

The court is acting just a year after it established a constitutional right to same-sex marriage, as state laws and federal actions on transgender rights have prompted a welter of lawsuits. In taking the case, the court signaled that it may move more quickly in the area of transgender rights than it has in expanding gay rights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/us/politics/supreme-court-to-rule-in-transgender-access-case.html?_r=0

1 hour ago, Dale said:

The Horror!

Good one with Halloween and all.  And to add to that from a national perspective, I for one am glad Killery's "crimes" came out when it did and hope the investigation continues to dig dip for absolutely nothing.  Now, with Obamacare's negative news and this coming out 1-2 weeks before the election, hopefully that shuts up the fuss about the "librul" media/press and other ridiculous conspiracies and allow this con-man to slither back to NYC in peace to BS other suckers out of cash.

6 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

Good one with Halloween and all.  And to add to that from a national perspective, I for one am glad Killery's "crimes" came out when it did and hope the investigation continues to dig dip for absolutely nothing.  Now, with Obamacare's negative news and this coming out 1-2 weeks before the election, hopefully that shuts up the fuss about the "librul" media/press and other ridiculous conspiracies and allow this con-man to slither back to NYC in peace to BS other suckers out of cash.

When I look at Trump and Hillary I see Clown and Clowner and lament that one or the other is going to win.

11 hours ago, Dale said:

When I look at Trump and Hillary I see Clown and Clowner and lament that one or the other is going to win.

This election has forced many people to new heights of false equivalency and I can't shrug it off anymore. Personally, I'll take the uninspiring overly-shrewd moderate with some potential but unproven skeletons in their closet over the literal aspiring fascist. That is factoring in the specter of investigation against one and not the numerous accusations against the other, and not even mentioning the subject of character flaws, and it still seems lopsided.

11 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

This election has forced many people to new heights of false equivalency and I can't shrug it off anymore. Personally, I'll take the uninspiring overly-shrewd moderate with some potential but unproven skeletons in their closet over the literal aspiring fascist. That is factoring in the specter of investigation against one and not the numerous accusations against the other, and not even mentioning the subject of character flaws, and it still seems lopsided.

Yes, Clinton seems like she's awkwardly bullsh---ing us half the time, but Trump is so clearly literally lying with everything he says. Like, it is so obvious he doesn't believe anything he says, it's unbelievable. 

13 hours ago, Dale said:

I agree with nonlogicall that this is a ridiculous equivalence.

here is a handy comparison  of the transgressions of each candidate: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/10/clinton_vs_trump_whose_crimes_are_worse.html

^^

It's ridiculous to suggest that Clinton is anything more than a craven, corrupt, incompetent and power hungry politician.  It's not a false equivalency, they ARE both horrible people.  It's a shame that people on the left and right are so willing to compromise their integrity and support either candidate.  I can understand voting for one as the lesser of evils (I won't be but it's not unreasonable)...I can't understand any enthusiastic support for either.    

BTW, McCrory made a few terrible decisions as Governor (HB2 most prominent among them) but his overall record is quite good.  Compared to his predecessors, he made NC a genuinely better place for business (and as a result most residents).  If I vote for any Republican, it will be him.

3 hours ago, kermit said:

I agree with nonlogicall that this is a ridiculous equivalence.

here is a handy comparison  of the transgressions of each candidate: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/10/clinton_vs_trump_whose_crimes_are_worse.html

lol  Slate.com

That post would only be handy if you ran out of toilet paper.

Make no mistake, Trump is a political buffoon and one of these worst candidates for higher office in the history of the United States.  But so is Clinton.

The biggest difference I see is you know what you're getting with Trump as he is either not skilled enough or simply does not bother to put on a persona.  With Clinton...well that's just not the case.  She has contradicted herself so often that people just stoped counting.  Mostly because there are people out there who think things like that Slate article are a good run down of her transgressions.  

We lose no matter who wins.

4 hours ago, JBS said:

^^

It's ridiculous to suggest that Clinton is anything more than a craven, corrupt, incompetent and power hungry politician.  It's not a false equivalency, they ARE both horrible people.  It's a shame that people on the left and right are so willing to compromise their integrity and support either candidate.  I can understand voting for one as the lesser of evils (I won't be but it's not unreasonable)...I can't understand any enthusiastic support for either.    

BTW, McCrory made a few terrible decisions as Governor (HB2 most prominent among them) but his overall record is quite good.  Compared to his predecessors, he made NC a genuinely better place for business (and as a result most residents).  If I vote for any Republican, it will be him.

Difference is the media has been able to create this horrible caricature of Clinton since she spent many years in the public service and sector which is the ire of so many people who really think  that there is more wrong with the government than right.  In my opinion it's the opposite and a new day.  These instant media/information delivery platforms like the internet, social media, etc have provided insight into the human nature and personality of leaders at an unprecedented level.  I highly doubt any of yesteryears perceived high integrity leaders could withstand the barrage of negativity relentless spewed in 24-hour fashion today. 

Donald Trump is a throwback-old-white-male bully accustomed to mouthing off without any recourse.  Well, they've twisted the rhetoric to call it being too "PC", meaning if an old windbag like that can't spew slurs or degrading talk once acceptable in that circle it is because others are too sensitive, BS.  He wasn't created by the media but by an America that has hard a time realizing the ideals outlined by this country's forefathers, who also fell extremely short enforcing those ideals.  He's simply the last of a dying breed that will continue to struggle with the notion that 50's Happy Days was a façade with an underbelly of frustration that erupted during the 60s....that America is gone, good riddance if you ask me.

Technology has globalized the supply chain and industry, those jobs ain't coming back and even if they did, the unintended consequence of product price surge will surely be a sticker shock.  It's a new day, Americans have to ante up skill sets and innovation, unfortunately the rest of the world is catching/caught up, we've got to modify and adapt. I know it sounds harsh but the reality of sitting at job for 30 years attaching widgets at 30+ dollars an hour are over. 

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

lol  Slate.com

That post would only be handy if you ran out of toilet paper.

Make no mistake, Trump is a political buffoon and one of these worst candidates for higher office in the history of the United States.  But so is Clinton.

The biggest difference I see is you know what you're getting with Trump as he is either not skilled enough or simply does not bother to put on a persona.  With Clinton...well that's just not the case.  She has contradicted herself so often that people just stoped counting.  Mostly because there are people out there who think things like that Slate article are a good run down of her transgressions.  

We lose no matter who wins.

Trump is a confessed felon who thousands of experts believe will destroy the country: http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2016/11/01/prominent-economists-including-eight-nobel-laureates-do-not-vote-for-donald-trump/

Clinton has served effectively as a senator and secretary of state and is arguably the most experienced presidential candidate we have ever had. Nearly every decision she has made has been extensively investigated and she has been found culpable of nothing more than bad email management.

I think its very clear that we loose more with Trump. There is no similarity between the two candidates.

7 minutes ago, kermit said:

Trump is a confessed felon who thousands of experts believe will destroy the country: http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2016/11/01/prominent-economists-including-eight-nobel-laureates-do-not-vote-for-donald-trump/

Clinton has served effectively as a senator and secretary of state and is arguably the most experienced presidential candidate we have ever had. Nearly every decision she has made has been extensively investigated and she has been found culpable of nothing more than bad email management.

I think its very clear that we loose more with Trump. There is no similarity between the two candidates.

Ya.  No.  

Not going to argue with you about Trump.  Not going to bother correcting your delusions on Clinton either.    

38 minutes ago, kermit said:

You are half right.  Trump would destroy the country and, personally, I think it's likely that he will do the most damage to the country (not to mention the Republican Party).

Your view of Clinton is as detached from reality as the view of Trump's supporters of their candidate.  She's a terrible person and it's baffling to me that an obviously intelligent individual like yourself would speak well of her.  

We have no chance to fix what is wrong with our country until good and smart people look beyond partisan concerns AND their own narrow interests and vote for honest and intelligent candidates.  

22 minutes ago, JBS said:

You are half right.  Trump would destroy the country and, personally, I think it's likely that he will do the most damage to the country (not to mention the Republican Party).

Your view of Clinton is as detached from reality as the view of Trump's supporters of their candidate.  She's a terrible person and it's baffling to me that an obviously intelligent individual like yourself would speak well of her.  

We have no chance to fix what is wrong with our country until good and smart people look beyond partisan concerns AND their own narrow interests and vote for honest and intelligent candidates.  

I have tried to do my research with non-partisan sources but every scandalous issue concerning her does seem to come with a rational caveat, a lack of evidence, or a thorough investigation that found no wrong-doing or at least no ill intent. Definitely not squeaky clean like Obama was as he was campaigning, but not dripping with corruption as is the popular narrative. The false equivalency I speak of means that if Trump has 50 scandals to report on and Clinton has 2, those 2 must carry the weight and attention of 25 of Trump's each. I'm not a big fan of hers (don't like how timid her social stances have been in the past, or the hawkishness of her foreign policy, and of course just not being all that charismatic), but man does she look golden next to her opponent and I honestly don't see much ammunition to paint her as a "terrible person".

As for honest and intelligent candidates, this sounds like a call to vote 3rd party, but this election I find those choices unacceptable too. Of all the people who threw their hat in the ring for every party this year, for me Clinton still comes in second, albeit an admittedly distant second, behind Bernie as an acceptable candidate. 

I'm just ready for both political parties to re-define themselves. It'll happen sooner with the GOP of course (maybe they'll start bringing actual solutions to the table), but President Clinton will need to be given a tough time the moment she's elected. Fortunately Sanders, Warren, and any future coalition politicians will be at the forefront.

The two parties will still, of course, be the safeguarders of big business at home and abroad, but we've got to make baby steps with a country this big.

18 hours ago, kermit said:

Agreed.

And for me, it's pretty simple: I'll the support the candidate that's not being endorsed by the alt-right and White supremacist groups. 

As a (conscious) Black guy, that makes Trump a million times worse than Clinton.

17 hours ago, JBS said:

Wish I could "Like" this statement 1000 times. It applies to all of us, regardless of party.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2016 at 3:04 PM, kermit said:

I was wrong, its not five laws overturned by the courts, its actually six. HB2 appears likely to be the 7th. Regardless of how you feel about the specific legislation, each one of these is an indicator of McCrory and the GA serving the public incompetently.

"State or federal courts have rejected the legislature on:

• Separation of powers – The state Supreme Court ruled the legislature over-reached when it sought to control a panel set up to deal with the state’s coal ash crisis.
  • Congressional redistricting – Unconstitutional gerrymandering forced federal courts to demand a special primary election this year for members of the U.S. House of Representatives.
  • Local school board and county commissioner districts – Unprompted, the legislature redrew Wake County Commission and School Board districts, which federal courts rejected.
  • Teacher association payroll deduction – State courts found the legislature’s effort to prevent the N.C. Association of Educators from using payroll deduction to collect dues was illegal.
  • Judicial “retention” elections – The state Supreme Court rejected an effort to change direct election of state Supreme Court justices to so-called retention elections, a thinly-veiled attempt to protect Republican justices.
  • Voter ID and other ballot-access changes – In a scathing and unsparing opinion the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals just last week labeled unconstitutional and racist, a series of changes to the state’s elections laws that curtailed voting rights of African Americans."

From http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2016/08/01/editorial-list-of-nc-laws-struck-down-as-unconstitutional-continues-to-grow/#sthash.9VlnXpyE.dpuf

It really should be a no brainier for conservatives since they spend so much time talking about how small government and government that is "close to the people" is the best government. Seems like the right needs legal assistance to be ideologically consistent these days. 

Add another one to this list, as a Federal Court has ordered more re-drawing of maps, and a special election next year based on the new maps:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article117843388.html

14 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Even if Trump turned out to be the great president of all time a liberal would never admit it.

So, have ya'll left the cry rooms yet? Given up the play-doh? The aroma therapy? etc??? lol...what a sissy generation we live in.

Image result for bait

Archived