NC Civil Rights

southslider

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While it won't end HB2 by itself NC now has a new governor!

While the NC Guv's office has very little power Cooper will be able to:

1) appoint new county election boards
2) appoint a substantial number (1/3?) of UNC Board of Governors seats
3) Veto some of the batsh1t insane legislation that will inevitably come out of the NCGA. The vetoes will get overturned but at least there will be a formal note of protest that actually represents the majority of NC voters. Its my hope that overturned vetos will highlight some of the yall'qaeda's idiocy in the press as well as reduce some of the damage being done to our image by letting the world know that at least some North Carolinian's disagree with all the rightwing BS.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

3) Veto some of the batsh1t insane legislation that will inevitably come out of the NCGA. The vetoes will get overturned but at least there will be a formal note of protest that actually represents the majority of NC voters. Its my hope that overturned vetos will highlight some of the yall'qaeda's idiocy in the press as well as reduce some of the damage being done to our image by letting the world know that at least some North Carolinian's disagree with all the rightwing BS.

With the special election next year, I hoping that the Democrats will at least gain enough seats to stop the GOP having it's veto-proof majority. But my pipe dream is the Dems retaking both chambers! Lol!

Interesting article on the special session that was called and court packing. I really had never heard of this before, and curious as to other people's thoughts. Could this still happen even though McCrory has conceded? 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/12/02/mccrory_calls_for_special_legislative_session_is_a_court_packing_bill_coming.html

4 hours ago, Crown said:

Interesting article on the special session that was called and court packing. I really had never heard of this before, and curious as to other people's thoughts. Could this still happen even though McCrory has conceded? 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/12/02/mccrory_calls_for_special_legislative_session_is_a_court_packing_bill_coming.html

The short answer is (I think) yes.

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

So, apparently McCrory's razor-thin loss was NOT due to opposition to HB2. If it was, then NC voters had a funny way of showing it, effecting a Red Wave everywhere else.

I think there are probably enough voters in this state who don't care about the actual civil rights damage done by HB2 but do care that we lost out on some jobs and major sports events. A lot of those voters may also be uninformed enough to think it was 100% McCrory's doing, but even if not, may live in districts where there was never any hope of kicking out an incumbent Republican state representative. 

6 hours ago, Dale said:

So, apparently McCrory's razor-thin loss was NOT due to opposition to HB2. If it was, then NC voters had a funny way of showing it, effecting a Red Wave everywhere else.

I took it to reflect the exact opposite.  Virtually every big ticket Republican won in NC except McCrory.  Wouldn't that suggest he felt the direct effect of the HB2 fallout?  What else would explain the deviation?

On 12/9/2016 at 6:49 PM, ah59396 said:

I took it to reflect the exact opposite.  Virtually every big ticket Republican won in NC except McCrory.  Wouldn't that suggest he felt the direct effect of the HB2 fallout?  What else would explain the deviation?

HB2 hurt McCrory for sure.  But so did the toll lanes and the coal ash spills.  Those are the 3 different reasons I have gotten over and over and over again.....

On 12/9/2016 at 6:49 PM, ah59396 said:

The I-77 toll lanes hurt McCrory too. We'd have to check my math (and memory), but I think if McCrory had gotten the same number of votes this year as he did in 2012 from the districts most affected by the toll lanes, he would have won. This is NOT to say that HB2 wasn't also a factor. I live at LKN and HB2 was personally a bigger factor for me not voting for McCrory than the toll lanes (although I don't like those either). I'm probably in the minority of republicans along I-77, and those two issues, though.

20 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

HB2 hurt McCrory for sure.  But so did the toll lanes and the coal ash spills.  Those are the 3 different reasons I have gotten over and over and over again.....

18 minutes ago, jednc said:

The I-77 toll lanes hurt McCrory too. We'd have to check my math (and memory), but I think if McCrory had gotten the same number of votes this year as he did in 2012 from the districts most affected by the toll lanes, he would have won. This is NOT to say that HB2 wasn't also a factor. I live at LKN and HB2 was personally a bigger factor for me not voting for McCrory than the toll lanes (although I don't like those either). I'm probably in the minority of republicans along I-77, and those two issues, though.

Fair points.  What a shame.  I had very high hopes for him going into office and he just got his butt kicked up there in Raleigh.

^^

Agree with all of the above.  In the end, he lost me on the CoStar deal.  I viewed his denial of lost business as dishonest and even though I see him as a better choice than Cooper, I didn't vote for him and feel he got what he deserved.  HB2 was a terrible decision, as were the toll lanes.  I don't know enough about the coal ash issue to blame him for that...  

^^

What Republicans are doing now is beyond partisan...it's disqualifying them of consideration of ever getting my support in the future.  It's possible (likely?) Democrats would do the same in the same situation but it's breathtakingly brazen and corrupt regardless.  This is the party that was for non-partisan redistricting, until they were in power and switched positions with Dem's (who did the exact opposite).  It's time to take back the government from these weirdos!  Term limits and non-partisan redistricting is our only chance to do that.  

Archived