NC Civil Rights

southslider

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CLT704 said:

Just get it sent to court already and have it found unconstitutional. I'm so glad there is a special election next year.

I am confused on the special election. Does that mean if democrats show up and the system isn't quite as rigged as it is now...the dems have a shot at breaking the death grip next year? Don't have to wait until 2018?

1 minute ago, Jayvee said:

I am confused on the special election. Does that mean if democrats show up and the system isn't quite as rigged as it is now...the dems have a shot at breaking the death grip next year? Don't have to wait until 2018?

Theoretically yes.

I mean, this mess along with HB2 could end up being the best thing that's happened to NC in recent years; this "coup" could be the final straw that makes the populace disavow the NC GOP in the coming elections. If redistricting gains traction this could be the beginning of a new era in state politics... :tw_fearful:

Pat McCrory  made an ass of him self after the election.  All the GOPs in the NCGA I would like see replaced.   I know this want happen because most of these turkeys are from counties that are losing population and their hope is these turkeys will bail them out.

The large Metros in NC is what is moving NC forward, but the NCGA treats them like  the enemy.

What the hell is going on now?  The Charlotte City Council just surprise-decided to rescind the non-discrimination ordinance?!?!!  WHAT?

http://www.wbtv.com/story/34087152/charlotte-council-repeals-non-discrimination-ordinance-in-deal-to-repeal-hb2

Repealing that ordinance sucks.  I mean, even if they're trying to trick the legislature into repealing HB2, and after repeal they'll put the ordinance back, the legislature can just hold another damn special session to re-instate HB2.  I mean they have veto-proof majorities.  They can do whatever they want.

2 minutes ago, grodney said:

Obviously we'll see how it plays out, but this just makes them (and Charlotte) look weak right now.  Better to wait for the courts to overturn HB2.  In my opinion.

I think the optics will be good. Roy Cooper gets rid of HB2, companies will applaud the overturn of HB2. 

I'm actually glad Charlotte did this. I mean. Why should we take a disproportionate shellacking? I just think there are more appropriate ways to fight discrimination rather than scorched earth. 

3 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I think the optics will be good. Roy Cooper gets rid of HB2, companies will applaud the overturn of HB2. 

I'm actually glad Charlotte did this. I mean. Why should we take a disproportionate shellacking? I just think there are more appropriate ways to fight discrimination rather than scorched earth. 

I think Robert's effectively lost the race. I applaud her for her advocacy for LBGT. When these 4 years are up and the tide turns towards civil rights again, this issue won't be forgotten. 

7 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Difference of opinion.  I say do the right thing and wait for the right thing to prevail.  Obviously some/lots disagree.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article121729973.html 

Following a surprise move by the Charlotte City Council, Gov.-elect Roy Cooper said Monday that Legislative leaders have promised him to call a special session Tuesday to repeal House Bill 2.

“Senate Leader Phil Berger and House Speaker Tim Moore assured me that as a result of Charlotte’s vote, a special session will be called for Tuesday to repeal HB 2 in full,” Cooper said in a statement. “I hope they will keep their word to me and with the help of Democrats in the legislature, HB2 will be repealed in full.

This is going to get interesting. 

24 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I presume we either are about to get a major win(s), or have a major loss(es) economy wise, and that Charlotte City Council decided that governing a city is always about more than 1 single issue.

I'm actually expecting a very "Coincidental" jobs announcement as soon as HB2 is repealed. I think someone corporate and very influential had a hand in this sudden reversal. 

Very interesting...I'm glad they are limiting the damage but sad to think how much was needlessly inflicted over the past year (lost business, events, reputation, etc.).  I have ZERO inside information but I suspect that there is more to this than simply Charlotte repeals and GA repeals....that deal has been on the table for months apparently and Charlotte refused to proceed.  I guess it's possible that the losses have increased pressure on the city council to do something but I think it's more likely that there will be a new city ordinance following the GA repeal that simply avoids the bathroom issue.  I could be completely wrong but I hope not...letting the terrorists in the GA win might be good for business in the short-term but in the long-term it would set a bad precedence (or is that "presidents"?).

Addendum-If HB2 is repealed, there is 0 chance (again IMO) that the GA will pass something similar, even if the Charlotte city council turns around and passes another ordinance.  They've been looking for a way out of this for months.  Despite the blow back from the HRC (I'm not fond of that organization despite my position on this issue), this is going to turn out well eventually for the LGBT community and NC, I think.

yea, this is multi-layered. Something is up with McCrory only signing one of the two special session power-grab bills from last week and I suspect its connected (it was the appointments bill, it will become law without his signature  but not before Cooper has a chance to appoint his people)

I really don't trust NCGA to do the right thing, they might repeal HB2 but I suspect it will be attached to a handful of additional BS.

Archived