NC Civil Rights

southslider

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is some muddy waters, house of cards type, dirty politics.

No doubt in my mind the dems in Charlotte waited until Roy Cooper won before moving this forward.  You're blind if you think otherwise.  I still think the NC GOP is absolute trash and an embarrassment to this state, but the dems aren't squeaky clean either.  Honestly I didn't think they had it in them.

Hmm...not sure how to feel about this just yet.  To be a 10-0 vote by the council makes me think there is more to this story than we know right now.  I'm glad HB2 may get repealed, but let's not sell out the folks we were trying to protect in the first place.  

5 hours ago, atlrvr said:

I presume we either are about to get a major win(s), or have a major loss(es) economy wise, and that Charlotte City Council decided that governing a city is always about more than 1 single issue.

This was one of the first things I thought of as well. The fact that council voted 10-0 in favor of repeal leads me to believe this very well be the case. But AH's House of Cards comment is very believable as well. 

I am glad to see that this entire stalemate is possibly going to come to some sort of resolution soon.

My other greater concern is the latest power grab by the GA limiting the powers of Cooper.  That is twice within the same year.  It angers me to no end that our elected officials are allowed, and that there is a legal precedent that permits them to do such things so underhandedly.  Jeff Jackson had something on Charlotte Agenda late yesterday or early today that walked us through how things unfolded and it is just mind numbing.

Outside of the special election, does anyone know if we, the voting public (that put these individuals into office) have the legal right to rescind that position?  And now if there are lawsuits against the Republican GA, guess who ends up paying for that in terms of higher taxes and other sly ways that they will go about it to weasel their way through this.

I would honestly like to see people that are unbiased, not paid off, have morals and are willing to listen and compromise on issues that face our state.  How the hell do we get to that point?

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think that ship has sailed. 

I do find it intriguing that Paypal has yet to announce an alternative site after their Charlotte cancellation.  Not even the runner up sites to Charlotte which included Tampa FL have been mentioned.  The only place that I can find via Google, is the possibility of Providence RI back in September of this year.

20 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Supposedly there's a condition that if HB2 isn't repealed by December 31st, CLT CC will reinstate the ordinance as a symbolic move. 

It's actually stronger than that.....the Charlotte repeal ordinance contains a clause that says if HB2 (S.L.2016-3) isn't repealed by Dec 31, then the Charlotte repeal ordinance is not valid.  Specifically: "Section 5. This ordinance shall be effective upon adoption.  However, should S.L.2016-3 not be repealed in its entirety by December 31, 2016, this ordinance shall not be valid."

On 12/19/2016 at 3:57 PM, CLT704 said:

Just started watching HoC! Great show, this whole situation does seem a lot like HoC. 

You'll love it. One of, if not the best shows I've ever seen. But it's terrifying to think that what goes on in the show probably isn't that far from the reality when you think about it. The tit for tat nature of passing laws. The heinous lobbying. The corruption. It's all probably happening pretty regularly.

On another note (on topic), I'm a pretty skeptical person but I actually think this was a step forward for NC. Maybe some actual compromise for once. However, my hopes aren't exactly high.

It's all imploding. I wouldn't expect to see HB2 repealed today. 

Seems like 1 of 2 things are happening:

1. City Council tried to be sneaky and didn't fully repeal, the GOP noticed and are now saying they're not repealing hb2 without further work by the city

2. The GOP knows they have the city by the balls and are now forcing them to do other things in order to get hb2 repealed, and masking it as the former. 

Id lean towards 2. Jennifer Roberts is seriously a joke. She's been in over her head since day one. She's an opportunist that gambled with the city and I have no idea why people supportered her over Mayor Moustache. She has got to go. (Doesn't excuse the ineptitude of the rest of the council either)

10 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

She's an opportunist that gambled with the city and I have no idea why people supportered her over Mayor Moustache. She has got to go. (Doesn't excuse the ineptitude of the rest of the council either)

That's why I hoping Vi Lyles does actually launch a bid for Mayor, and if she does I'll support her all the way. If Roberts continues to be the Democratic nominee, then they will be an even closer fight for Mayor than usual. 

Funny, after I read the exact text of the Charlotte Repeal Ordinance, I almost posted here that they didn't repeal the whole non-discrim ordinance (which I thought was strange).....but since what they DID repeal included all the public accommodation stuff, I figured it didn't matter.  So yeah, I'm not sure what the GOP are hung up on.......other than extreme bigotry and not wanting LGBT to be a protected class for ANYTHING.  Which actually makes sense knowing them.

Let's face it, the NCGA is not looking out for the state's best interest. Economic development be damned. Charlotte City Council have played their cards crappily, but I still place ALL of the blame on ALL of this the General Assembly. Phil Berger and Tim Moore are diabolical. 

Never forget all of their attempted and successful power grabs over the past four years: Charlotte Airport, Asheville Airport, Asheville water, Greensboro City Council, Wake County School Board, etc...make no mistake, the General Assembly hates cities. I guess they forget it's cities that provide the rest of the state with the revenue it needs just get by. 

I'm actually OK with what CCC did...they apparently repealed the part of the ordinance that they never should have passed (IMO) and kept the rest that they should have (again, IMO).  Repealing HB2 is the first priority but I think this was worth the gamble.  The GA has the cover it needed and should just proceed with repeal but they likely won't (which is why CCC is meeting again today).  It was worth a shot, in my opinion, and I'm glad that it was a unanimous vote.

Totally unrelated aside but I met Mayor Roberts on the top of Crowders Mountain on Thanksgiving afternoon...couldn't have been nicer.  Her handling of this issue initially (pushing too far, too fast IMO) wasn't great but I don't think she is a terrible Mayor.  She seems to really love the city.  Even though I disagree with her frequently, I view her more as a principled politician than an opportunist.  Being Mayor isn't that big of a deal, I don't think...

The city supposedly repealed only the portions preempted  by HB2 but left the other parts of the non-discrimination ordinance intact.  I think what was left were pieces involving individuals with disabilities.  So "resetting" to the way things were in early 2015 wasn't enough for the NCGA; they wanted us to reset to the way things were in 1915, or we are not acting in good faith as they say.  It sounds now as if perhaps there was no appetite to repeal, and this is their way of backing out and shifting blame to Charlotte.  

I have no words to describe my anger for the group of buffoons in Raleigh.  If you've ever wondered what living under in a dictatorship is like, just live in North Carolina where now it appears the only institutionalized protections will be the ones that allow the legislators to maintain a stranglehold on their seats.  

The republicans of the NCGA are Hitler's wet dream; they are the purveyors of the Fourth Reich.  I am sure Hitler smiles as he looks on them from hell.

13 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

The city supposedly repealed only the portions preempted  by HB2 but left the other parts of the non-discrimination ordinance intact.  I think what was left were pieces involving individuals with disabilities.  So "resetting" to the way things were in early 2015 wasn't enough for the NCGA; they wanted us to reset to the way things were in 1915, or we are not acting in good faith as they say.  It sounds now as if perhaps there was no appetite to repeal, and this is their way of backing out and shifting blame to Charlotte.  

I have no words to describe my anger for the group of buffoons in Raleigh.  If you've ever wondered what living under in a dictatorship is like, just live in North Carolina where now it appears the only institutionalized protections will be the ones that allow the legislators to maintain a stranglehold on their seats.  

The republicans of the NCGA are Hitler's wet dream; they are the purveyors of the Fourth Reich.  I am sure Hitler smiles as he looks on them from hell.

Godwin's law definitely applies here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

This isn't over, HB2 will be repealed.  The GA is awful.  Support term limits and non-partisan redistricting.

Archived