NC Civil Rights

southslider

What a mess.

Monday's ordinance removed specific parts of the Charlotte code.....specifically those parts invalidated by HB2.  And as I pointed out up-thread, the Monday ordinance also said that if HB2 wasn't repealed by Dec 31, the Monday ordinance was null and void.

TODAY's ordinance simply repeals the original non-discrim ordinance as well as repeal Monday's ordinance.  And it makes no mention of contingency for whether HB2 gets repealed.  Maybe they'll add that on before they pass it.....who knows.

Meanwhile, the GOP's late-night drunken statement makes them look even more stupid....if that's even possible.  I mean once you get past the spelling, grammar, and formatting errors, the hyperbole and the insinuation that Charlotte sneakily didn't actually repeal the bathroom portion is just laughable.  And of course the conservative public is EATING UP the "fact" (trumpian fact) that Charlotte lied to the NCGA and was trying to pull a fast one and didn't really repeal the transgender ped0phile enabling parts of the original ordinance.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^I've been comparing them to Nazis for a long time.  Is it hyperbolic? Sure.   but if you look at the way they conduct themselves, you will find some parallels. For example they have attempted to consolidate all power in the state in themselves.  They always have a scapegoat.  And if you look at the list of people groups that have lost protection under them, you will notice that it is starting to look like the list of groups that lost protection under the reign of the Fuhrer.  So while they aren't opening concentration camps or trying to take over neighboring states, many of their actions look like plays straight from a Nazi playbook.

Edit: this post meant as a reply to JBS' post on the previous page.

Okay well the Charlotte side is a done deal.  They repealed the Feb non-discrim ordinance in full, and repealed Monday's ordinance in full, and there is no tie/contingency to/on HB2 repeal.

So now the GOP will just say "see they were trying to trick us and we caught them so we're not repealing HB2".

I will be SHOCKED if HB2 is repealed in full with nothing else tied to it.

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Jennifer Roberts is seriously a joke. She's been in over her head since day one. She's an opportunist that gambled with the city and I have no idea why people supportered her over Mayor Moustache. She has got to go. (Doesn't excuse the ineptitude of the rest of the council either)

Have been blasted online for saying the same thing.  She could have pushed the agenda differently and could have prevented much of the damage to the Charlotte economy but she was played like a fiddle.  This of course does not speak to the disgusting actions of the GA either.  Both are horrible and change is needed everywhere.  

Why remove the contingency of HB2 repeal though? To have a sensible amount of caution built in to the ordinance removal and then remove that too (was this part even a sticking point with the GOP?) just seems to show weakness. If NCGA pulls a fast one and backs out or tries to tack on something insidious, which I am fairly certain of, what happens? HB2 itself makes it so we could not re-pass the ordinance, right? It would be awful to cave on this and get nothing out of it. 

Just now, nonillogical said:

Why remove the contingency of HB2 repeal though? To have a sensible amount of caution built in to the ordinance removal and then remove that too (was this part even a sticking point with the GOP?) just seems to show weakness. If NCGA pulls a fast one and backs out or tries to tack on something insidious, which I am fairly certain of, what happens? HB2 itself makes it so we could not re-pass the ordinance, right? It would be awful to cave on this and get nothing out of it. 

Well, they didn't put the HB2 repeal stuff in because either 1) They were so hasty this morning they didn't include it, or 2) They had to completely dumb down anything they did today so that the NCGA would understand it, or 3) Leaving it in would give the NCGA yet another "out" for not repealing HB2 (i.e. "Charlotte is still playing games look at that extra clause they put in there why can't they just repeal it?!?!?!!!").

The good thing is, if they DON'T repeal HB2, then as far as I know the court filings are still active, and HB2 will be overturned anyway (and at that point Charlotte can enact anything they want).  That's a big reason I don't WANT repeal of HB2.....because if they repeal it they can always reinstate it.  Whereas if the courts strike it down, they're done.

2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

The ordinance was superceded by HB2 anyway so the ordinance was just symbolically sitting on the books, wasn't doing anything. So if the state pulls a fast one (spoiler alert: they will) then HB2 will stand and we just took a law off the books that wasn't doing anything. 

In which case I wish we still symbolically kept it (and our dignity), and as Grodney said simply wait for HB2 to be struck down by the courts. I'll wait and see what happens today but I have a strong feeling that attempting to reach across the aisle with this group means losing your hand.

So a couple of Republican legislators have filed to adjourn the special session Sine Die (adjourn without further action), calling the special session to repeal HB2 "unconstitutional" because there is no "extraordinary circumstance" to justify it.  Why then didn't they question the constitutionality of the special session to pass HB2?  Was there an extraordinary circumstance to justify it?

3 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Why then didn't they question the constitutionality of the special session to pass HB2?  

Or last week's coup session?  They're so lame.

The argument now being put forth by the Lt Gov is that if they repeal HB2 then Charlotte or any other municipality can enact any non-discrim they want, and we'll be right back to what "caused" HB2.  So yeah in other words we're bigots and we need to keep this in place.

12 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

So a couple of Republican legislators have filed to adjourn the special session Sine Die (adjourn without further action), calling the special session to repeal HB2 "unconstitutional" because there is no "extraordinary circumstance" to justify it.  Why then didn't they question the constitutionality of the special session to pass HB2?  Was there an extraordinary circumstance to justify it?

We should put names to these a**holes.  

Rep. Jeff Collins of Nash County

Rep. Michael Speciale of New Bern

Sen. Tommy Tucker of Waxhaw

One report* says the repeal is likely to come with a 6-month moratorium on any local measures being passed like Charlotte's.  Which, ummmmm, means the repeal isn't really a repeal.  "Okay we're repealing the law that says you can't pass any of those laws, but you can't pass any of those laws for 6 months (which by then we'll re-instate it anyway)." 

I don't know whether to play Send In The Clowns or the Benny Hill theme.

*I realize this is just speculation and we could do this all day.

27 minutes ago, grodney said:

One report* says the repeal is likely to come with a 6-month moratorium on any local measures being passed like Charlotte's.  Which, ummmmm, means the repeal isn't really a repeal.  "Okay we're repealing the law that says you can't pass any of those laws, but you can't pass any of those laws for 6 months (which by then we'll re-instate it anyway)." 

I don't know whether to play Send In The Clowns or the Benny Hill theme.

*I realize this is just speculation and we could do this all day.

I personally like Benny Hill.  Should be the NCGOPs "walkout" song.  Every time they enter the House/Senate chambers it should be played over the PA system.

19 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I personally like Benny Hill.  Should be the NCGOPs "walkout" song.  Every time they enter the House/Senate chambers it should be played over the PA system.

Here's another good theme song for the NCGA

Maybe the Senate could use this and the House could use Benny Hill

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

I don't see any universe in which HB2 is repealed today...

We'll see...I still think it happens.  If it doesn't, these morons are dumber than they look.  I saw the Lt Governor come out strongly against repeal, which is really unbelievable.  HB2 doesn't protect anyone and it doesn't make anyone behave differently.  It only hurts our state.  These guys are like the sheriff in Blazing Saddles with the gun at his head except they are ready to pull the trigger.

Berger introduced a bill to repeal HB2 but it has a "cooling off" period of 180 days where cities cant enact stuff like what CLT did. Dems have a problem with this. It's stalled.

While I think the "cooling off" period is stupid and GOP is stretching for a victory, I think the dems REALLY need to get their act together and think long term. Let the GOP have this small victory, regroup, redraw the districts, hope for a break in the supermajority then cities can enact whatever they want. The fact they are not letting this go is just insanity. Why not pass it, bi-partisan, spin it all nice in the media...open "NC back for business" and move on? All of these people are so slimy and want their own little victories. 

3 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Berger introduced a bill to repeal HB2 but it has a "cooling off" period of 180 days where cities cant enact stuff like what CLT did. Dems have a problem with this. It's stalled.

While I think the "cooling off" period is stupid and GOP is stretching for a victory, I think the dems REALLY need to get their act together and think long term. Let the GOP have this small victory, regroup, redraw the districts, hope for a break in the supermajority then cities can enact whatever they want. The fact they are not letting this go is just insanity. Why not pass it, bi-partisan, spin it all nice in the media...open "NC back for business" and move on? All of these people are so slimy and want their own little victories. 

12 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

While I agree with you, many disagree with you. This is non-negotiable for many on both sides unfortunately 

23 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

While I agree with you, many disagree with you. This is non-negotiable for many on both sides unfortunately 

But I don't get the WHY other than petty bickering and wanting to "win". The dems HAVE to realize they are vastly outnumbered and aren't going to "win" with the state leg the way it is sided right now. Why not go bi-partisan, vote for SB4, let them have their little cooling off period and move the state forward. How the democrats will "win" is to get their people out there and vote and break the supermajority. Then CLT can enact anything they want after the cooling off period and the GOP can't really do anything about it. I just don't get how these people are so stupid, it's really the dems screwing us right now, beggars cant be choosers. 

9 minutes ago, grodney said:

The Dems can't stop it from being passed.  Bi-partisan or not......the GOP can pass it if they want. 

Exactly, that makes it even WORSE for the dems. Repubs can say "look we repealed HB2 without any support from the dems, etc" and can spin it however they want to ensure they come out looking like the good guy. If the dems would just suck it up and bi-partisan vote it helps, fighting this hurts. Either that or the GOP says "we tried" and throw this out and the end result is we are left with HB2. 

Update: And now its coming out there will not be a house vote for HB2 repeal today. Comes full circle to how terribly J-Rob mismanaged this entire thing since day 1.

Archived