NC Civil Rights

southslider

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

I'm on my way out as we speak.  Done with it.  

We moved here 15 years ago.  We LOVE it.  My wife has mentioned moving out of NC before (in times of political/social embarrassment), but I'd never SERIOUSLY considered it until last week.  And now we're talking about it again.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, grodney said:

We moved here 15 years ago.  We LOVE it.  My wife has mentioned moving out of NC before (in times of political/social embarrassment), but I'd never SERIOUSLY considered it until last week.  And now we're talking about it again.

Anecdotally, of the people I'm still close with from high school, the vast majority are electing to move elsewhere upon graduation from college. Few of them have any desire to return to their roots in Charlotte, especially after the events of this year. This is in contrast with my peers from Boston, DC, New York, Seattle, etc. who can't wait to move back to their home cities... Makes me curious as to the proportion of Charlotte-born Millennials and Gen Z-ers who return after college.

I'm at the point that I can't see leaving my hometown. I've done my travel thing plenty, but the way I see it this place now needs me more than ever.

It's like leaving the country because of a president-elect you hate: some would argue if you really care you'd stay and do something about it (however, not having family roots somewhere helps one to detach much more easily)

5 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm at the point that I can't see leaving my hometown. I've done my travel thing plenty, but the way I see it this place now needs me more than ever.

It's like leaving the country because of a president-elect you hate: if you really care you'd stay and do something about it.

This is exactly my take on this whole situation. I've lived in the area for 10 years. Met my wife here. Have a family here. Made a lot of great friends. We're deeply rooted from jobs to schools to places we frequent. I hate HB2 like the plague. It's an embarrassment. But the community needs people that won't stand for it. If people leave because of HB2, it's only a victory to those that support it. One thing we've taken from it, among others, is that it's a teaching point to our kids. It's not acceptable to hate or discriminate against anyone. The urban centers of the state need to keep fighting the good fight. We will eventually get there.

I was born here in 1992. Always planned to stay because I loved the progress, etc. over the past 4 years. I'm ready to move. I don't foresee change coming, folks. I'm actually wanting to head down to Miami. I understand FL isn't liberal paradise but I'm not looking for liberal holy land. 

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I was born here in 1992. Always planned to stay because I loved the progress, etc. over the past 4 years. I'm ready to move. I don't foresee change coming, folks. I'm actually wanting to head down to Miami. I understand FL isn't liberal paradise but I'm not looking for liberal holy land. 

So I currently live in Miami, born in Charlotte, raised between Southern California and Charlotte. There are a lot of cool places in the country but in my opinion I get no greater feeling than when I'm back home in Charlotte. HB2 will pass, and Charlotte will continue to flourish. If I could I would move back, I can't right now because of my work. But I will move back someday. Not to sound overly poetic, but no matter where I live, Charlotte will always be home.

1 hour ago, saamh said:

So I currently live in Miami, born in Charlotte, raised between Southern California and Charlotte. There are a lot of cool places in the country but in my opinion I get no greater feeling than when I'm back home in Charlotte. HB2 will pass, and Charlotte will continue to flourish. If I could I would move back, I can't right now because of my work. But I will move back someday. Not to sound overly poetic, but no matter where I live, Charlotte will always be home.

I'm sure I'll always feel Charlotte is home, rippity robbity ru, butttt, I'm ready for miami because of all places I would choose like Denver, Portland. I'll take sunshine and still close enough to home. But the desire to stay has been slipping for different reasons for the past 4 years. 

24 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I'm sure I'll always feel Charlotte is home, rippity robbity ru, butttt, I'm ready for miami because of all places I would choose like Denver, Portland. I'll take sunshine and still close enough to home. But the desire to stay has been slipping for different reasons for the past 4 years. 

You're not going to get more sunshine than Denver and there are 4 directs per day. it's really hard to beat Denver's all around package right now.  I hear you on the distance though.

On 12/23/2016 at 8:45 AM, kermit said:

This is truley horrifying. While it's an op-ed it cites and sources solid data from several comparative studies.

Check out @jonathanweisman's Tweet: 

Some articles are just plain stupid. This is a prime example. Anyone that agrees with this has obviously never traveled or obtained any intelligence about the real world. 

I think where he's coming from is that the study uses cold, isolated metrics (so, lets be honest here: all sciences, psuedo-sciences, and studies do to some extent, by their very nature). So that if you were reading about these different societies on paper, observing the measurable factors of election fairness and civilian/politician control over policy, etc then they reach the conclusions in the article. But if you live in the respective states/nation-states, then obviously the on-the-ground experience will be different. There are many other factors that are considered into "quality-of-life" than any given entitiy's political model.

^ but that was exactly the point of the op-ed: we need to be aware of the erosion of democracy before conditions get worse.

Lets not forget that democratic candidates for the NCGA received the majority of votes over the past three elections yet republicans have maintained legislative supermajorities by virtue of their gerrymander-- that fact alone means that some NC voters are taken more seriously than others. This, simply put, is a failure of democracy.

I'm just sick and tired of having NC in the spotlight for such negative reasons. Why can't we all just get along?

I love my state across the board except for the fact that people feel the need to antagonize each other and make every issue us vs. them. We have great cities, rural areas, farmland, breweries, beaches, mountains, traditional/old school southern traditions, new age super progressiveness, a thorough mix of races and ideals, and many other things. 

How about we focus on building the state up rather than tearing it down just to spite others?

On 16/12/2016 at 5:33 PM, CLT704 said:

Just get it sent to court already and have it found unconstitutional. I'm so glad there is a special election next year.

There appears to be very little movement from Cooper about the power stripping bills, I get that it has just been Xmas but still. Can these laws actually be challenged in court?

On 12/27/2016 at 2:11 AM, CLT704 said:

There appears to be very little movement from Cooper about the power stripping bills, I get that it has just been Xmas but still. Can these laws actually be challenged in court?

here is the first:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived