NC Civil Rights

southslider

12 hours ago, JBS said:

...Houston wasn't penalized when citizens defeated a non-discrimination ordinance there (but Charlotte was when our city council passed one).  Fairness and consistency is lacking.  

Not sure I agree that this is an equivalence. Houston's failure to pass their ordinance simply maintained an ambiguous status quo. HB2 actively legalized discrimination throughout the state -- so it went well beyond maintaining the pre-Charlotte ordinance status quo.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kermit said:

Not sure I agree that this is an equivalence. Houston's failure to pass their ordinance simply maintained an ambiguous status quo. HB2 actively legalized discrimination throughout the state -- so it went well beyond maintaining the pre-Charlotte ordinance status quo.

Not equivalent.  Houston's citizens voted against, Charlotte's citizens elected people who campaigned on ordinance and passed.  Hence, Houston's actions far worse than Charlotte's.  Note, I'm talking about the city and not the state.  The nut-jobs in Raleigh certainly went beyond what Houston did.  Still don't think punishing Charlotte is fair under the circumstances.  We're on the same side, just a little different perspective...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sounds like Adidas rejected Guilford Co for $60 million manufacturing facility due to HB2 (its not recent, just news continuing to trickle out after the HB2 was initially passed)

http://www.greensboro.com/news/government/guilford-state-tripped-up-by-hb/article_8ba7da23-4dd5-5648-9615-7020d792137d.html

The scorecard of HB2 losses (from memory):

Pay Pal: Charlotte
Deutsche Bank: Raleigh
Costar: Charlotte
Adidas: High Point

plus all the others that we still have no idea about

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Maybe this'll teach the NBA that there are sometimes costs to virtue-signaling. Maybe it doesn't care.

I think the NBA could a sent a more powerful message to the nation in support of Charlotte while encouraging fans to spend only within the City of Charlotte (keeping the bulk of the dollars locally).

16 hours ago, Dale said:

Maybe this'll teach the NBA that there are sometimes costs to virtue-signaling. Maybe it doesn't care.

Or maybe they calculated that the short-term cost of "virtue-signaling" was lower than the long-term cost of failing to.

2 hours ago, grodney said:

I don't think it cares.  Human rights are more important than money......I think they get that.

I think everyone on this board probably agrees that this is true.  I'm not sure the NBA does however.  I suspect the NBA did a cost benefit analysis and in the end decided it was ultimately good for business/the brand to move the game.  I doubt virtue had anything to do with it.

29 minutes ago, JBS said:

I think everyone on this board probably agrees that this is true.  I'm not sure the NBA does however.  I suspect the NBA did a cost benefit analysis and in the end decided it was ultimately good for business/the brand to move the game.  I doubt virtue had anything to do with it.

So, the NBA's calculus was the sort of posturing necessary for the best dollar return ? That would be even more cynical than I care to imagine.

I'm a huge proponent of the separation of sports entertainment and politics. Although I grant that my side is losing at present.

16 minutes ago, Dale said:

Carve out a group of people, pretend that they are under siege, grant them leverage over others and call it "human rights."

Diplomatically: There's nothing to say other than "you don't understand".  Try talking to a transgender person sometime....one on one.  If you still don't understand, well.......I don't know what.  I guess some probably never will understand.

p.s. What you have said above is wildly ignorant and insulting.  And/or a troll.  If the latter, good job!  But it's still pretty ugly.

2 hours ago, HopHead said:

Now we have some mystery company calling the NCGOP's bluff. Will be interesting to see if this moves the needle anymore since it's on their "home" turf. Probably not. 

Theres a bigger job announcement for Charlotte being thrown at the GOP, not sure they care.

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Theres a bigger job announcement for Charlotte being thrown at the GOP, not sure they care.

Yep...Don't think mega jobs announcements in Wake County and Charlotte will move the needle too much. In fact, because these jobs would be for the big, bad, wicked cities, our legislature will probably be less likely to repeal it now.  If the announcements were for Nash and Onslow counties on the other hand, they'd have HB2 repealed within an hour.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:38 PM, caterpillar2 said:

Some liberal mo mo at the observer writes an article and we are supposed to believe it? ROTFL

I have never cared about politics until the joke that was 2016...that's when I finally saw what liberals are about...I must say...I have never been so disgusted.

Archived