NC Civil Rights

southslider

I'm a full-fledged bleeding Liberal and yet when HB2 first came up, I couldn't explain to my friends why the Charlotte Ordinance was necessary in the first place.  I had to research the topic, read about the issues, actually speak to two different transgender people, before I really understood.  It takes work sometimes, especially for things that are out of our own personal "norm".

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, grodney said:

I'm a full-fledged bleeding Liberal and yet when HB2 first came up, I couldn't explain to my friends why the Charlotte Ordinance was necessary in the first place.  I had to research the topic, read about the issues, actually speak to two different transgender people, before I really understood.  It takes work sometimes, especially for things that are out of our own personal "norm".

Were you able to explain to your liberal friends why the Charlotte ordinance (that occasioned HB2) was necessary ? Apparently, the Charlotte Observer doesn't think so.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, Durhamite said:

Let those with a gender-based identity issues remain in a state of bewilderment or simply let them die off.  It' the American way, we got bigger fish to fry.  Who's gonna miss them?  Seriously though, it's a very convoluted topic but I'd rather side on the listening, understanding and accommodating approach. However, overcoming the fear inertia is formidable and usually requires critics and opponent decades to mentally evolve or realize a workable solution.  This isn't America's first foray beckoning upon a societal "norm" shift.  Once we've advanced beyond the baseless fears and muzzle the fringe noise we'll be able to appropriately accommodate these Americans. 

Males who think they're females are having an out-sized effect on public policy. At last check, anorexics outnumber them 30, 50, maybe 100 times ... and maybe more than that. Maybe they should lobby to force the rest of us to skip lunch so as to enjoy solidarity with them.

12 minutes ago, Dale said:

Were you able to explain to your liberal friends why the Charlotte ordinance (that occasioned HB2) was necessary ?

A) They aren't liberal friends(...why would you assume that?).  They are friends.  5 of them.  It happened to be on a guys trip where we drink beer and throw frisbees and sometimes even talk about stuff.  If it matters, 2 are Conservative, 2 are Liberal, and 1 is Other.

B) Yes, I was.  At least much better than when I was ignorant.

11 minutes ago, grodney said:

A) They aren't liberal friends(...why would you assume that?).  They are friends.  5 of them.  It happened to be on a guys trip where we drink beer and throw frisbees and sometimes even talk about stuff.  If it matters, 2 are Conservative, 2 are Liberal, and 1 is Other.

B) Yes, I was.  At least much better than when I was ignorant.

Don't leave me hanging. Why was the Charlotte ordinance necessary ?

55 minutes ago, HopHead said:

This board would benefit from this thread being locked for a while. 

Disagree.  This is a coffeehouse thread and generally the discussion has been meaningful and civil.  For example, grodney and cjd5050 appear to have different views on the suicide issue but my impression was that both posted provocative and thoughtful comments.  There are others who pretty obviously are here for a fight and have no interest in considering a differing viewpoint or having a rational discussion.  I suggest we simply ignore those posters.  Just my two cents.

27 minutes ago, JBS said:

Disagree.  This is a coffeehouse thread and generally the discussion has been meaningful and civil.  For example, grodney and cjd5050 appear to have different views on the suicide issue but my impression was that both posted provocative and thoughtful comments.  There are others who pretty obviously are here for a fight and have no interest in considering a differing viewpoint or having a rational discussion.  I suggest we simply ignore those posters.  Just my two cents.

Fair enough. 100% agree with what grodney and cjd5050 are doing. It's thoughtful commentary. It's certain individuals here that act like 10 year olds in their mom's basement that do nothing but troll. Need to remember that ignore poster feature exists for a reason.. 

6 minutes ago, JBS said:

4Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. 5Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Decisions, decisions...I'll take verse 4 for $100, Alex.

*Beats other forumers over the head with a heavily-edited Bible*

5 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Fair enough. 100% agree with what grodney and cjd5050 are doing. It's thoughtful commentary. It's certain individuals here that act like 10 year olds in their mom's basement that do nothing but troll. Need to remember that ignore poster feature. 

... or decide whether to allow for dissent or cordon off the thread as a safe place (which is so grown-up).

7 minutes ago, southslider said:

Y'all can keep on posting as much as your little hearts want to.

Just find it fascinating how much interest straight-identifying, cisgender men take in LGBT issues.

Well, it's a huge economic issue for the State and Charlotte.  Furthermore, I don't have to be African American to care about civil rights or a woman to care about wage inequity or an immigrant to care about immigrant rights or poor to care about poverty.  I'm straight but I oppose discrimination and HB2 but welcome rational viewpoints on all issues.  Not sure I understand your comment...  

1 hour ago, southslider said:

Just find it fascinating how much interest straight-identifying, cisgender men take in LGBT issues.

Tis an interesting perspective.  Those of us who grew up in the Bible Belt are well aware that the Good Lord hand-selected drunks, hookers & hos, thieves, adulterers, etc to handle the more arduous holy tasks.  I'm sure he's got a Transgender in queue to either cure cancer or to achieve world peace. Not in the sense that TGs are "sinners" but seemingly an outcast and morally inept to the high and mighty thumpers.  I've come to the conclusion that I don't understand why the universe exists, at all.  I do understand that I don't understand....maybe that's why I try to be more understanding instead of boxed in conventional thought.  I don't think this will be an issue at all in 20 years, the lag time to acceptance yields many a beating.  How Charlotte and NC became the epicenter "intended" is puzzling.

12 hours ago, southslider said:

Don't assume that straight cis folks can't have a dog in the fight (family et al.)

In a broader sense the economics of HB2 affect us all (with the largest impact on urban dwellers)

1 hour ago, southslider said:

Of course, I appreciate straight allies. My comments were more directed at the dissenting voices oddly held by the priveleged.

Translated:  

I like people who want to exist in my echo chamber and have zero tolerance for anyone who does not.  To show my disproval for any intolerance I  see...I will protest, lobby, parade and march to bring attention to and wag my finger at those on the outside of my view. 

At some point when people do pay attention and want to have a dialog....I will disregard anything that is outside of exactly what I want and claim it as intolerance.  I will then raise issue and mock these people taking an issue in the very issues I have been raising.  But really I just don't have the skills or mental capacity to deal with anything outside of an echo chamber so I shut down.  

When these people turn around and walk towards indifference rather than being insulted..I will call them privileged for the what they have.  

I then start to think about ways to raise awareness of my issues to open a dialog.  A march maybe?  That will do the trick.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

You're a joke.  

big day for ridiculous HB2 news. It appears that the NCGA has decided the best way to begin to patch up their deteriorating relationship with the ACC and NCAA is to severely punish them for their actions via legislation. Gosh I am glad my elected officials spend all their time thinking about how to improve the economy of the state....

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article138326058.html

37 minutes ago, kermit said:

big day for ridiculous HB2 news. It appears that the NCGA has decided the best way to begin to patch up their deteriorating relationship with the ACC and NCAA is to severely punish them for their actions via legislation. Gosh I am glad my elected officials spend all their time thinking about how to improve the economy of the state....

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article138326058.html

This was one of the most ridiculous things we've seen from the NCGA since HB2 itself. Yea. Let's really encourage the NCAA and ACC to come back to NC by filing a legal complaint against them because we're a bunch of bigots. Mind boggling. 

Archived