NC Civil Rights

southslider

11 hours ago, HopHead said:

This was one of the most ridiculous things we've seen from the NCGA since HB2 itself. Yea. Let's really encourage the NCAA and ACC to come back to NC by filing a legal complaint against them because we're a bunch of bigots. Mind boggling. 

I don't think the plan for the NCGA is to try and get the NCAA or ACC to come back.  I think many in the NCGA have already determined that ship has sailed.  That said, regardless of what the motives are, the NCGA has a point to argue at least.  What the NCAA is doing can be viewed as lobbying for legislation.  What's debatable is if this is 'substantial' or not.  Private and tax paying companies are free to do as they wish.  But like it or not 501(c)(3) status comes with terms.

Personally and not considering HB2, we would all be better off if the NCAA lost it's non-profit status.  It's a joke that they are able to keep it.  It's up there with classifying Scientology as a religion.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but if there is really an issue with the NCAA or ACC regarding their non-profit status and this being "lobbying" there are WAY more egregious violations that we see from certain churches and other prominent conservative "non-profit" organizations!  This is totally the pot calling the kettle black.

Regardless the propriety of the NCAA and ACC's actions the NCGA's scorched earth policies towards the businesses that have spurned them is appallingly anti-business. The state gains absolutely nothing from this attempt to bully (its merely spiteful) but it seriously errodes its reputation as a business friendly place.

Remember the whole PayPal-China-human rights thing? If I were an expanding business NC would be at the bottom of my list, even after HB2 is repealed. If the NCGA is willing to sabotage the ACC (a major contributor to NC's growth for more than 50 years) imagine what they might do to a new arrival that might (for example) decide to feature a same sex couple in an advertisement? Who knows what will trigger these morons next.

8 hours ago, allthingsplanes said:

I'm sorry, but if there is really an issue with the NCAA or ACC regarding their non-profit status and this being "lobbying" there are WAY more egregious violations that we see from certain churches and other prominent conservative "non-profit" organizations!  This is totally the pot calling the kettle black.

Not suggesting you did but my comment was not defending the NCGA or anything along those lines.  Was just pointing out there was a case.

I will add that I think non-profits in general are problematic more than helpful in the big picture.  It's not as obvious in places like Charlotte but in other cities/regions it is.  I'd even go farther than 'certain' and all the way to 'most' when it comes to churches....but I'd also be fair and lump in progressive with the conservative "non-profits" as you put it.

Personally I think there needs to be a clear line that separates politics and policy from any group that seeks or has tax exempt status. 

1,000 Credit Suisse jobs (all $100k plus) await the Triangle if HB2 gets repealed. More finance jobs in the Triangle are also a big positive for Charlotte.

Sadly we all know what will happen....

The NCGOP is making all property owners in NC significantly poorer than we would be without HB2.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/03/21/north-carolinas-hb2-repeal-could-mean-1-000-plus.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-03-21&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1490127547&j=77708561

A new economic loss estimate from AP

http://www.greensboro.com/ap/north_carolina/ap-exclusive-bathroom-bill-to-cost-north-carolina-b-over/article_d970a685-dcc3-5343-bb88-36dfed847bf9.html

(IMO a huge underestimate since it does not address lost real estate appreciation in NC cities as a result of reduced high wage job growth)

my memory is not the best but I do not believe we have seen any announcements for new knoweldge / professional jobs in Charlotte since HB2 passed (after removing expansions of firms that already had operations here). #yearwithoutjobgrowth

On 3/24/2017 at 8:54 AM, elrodvt said:

2600 words and hardly a mention of Roberts.....

There is no denying the culpability of McCrory and the Republicans in the NCGA but at the end of the day all of this was started by Roberts pushing an ordinance with full knowledge of the what would happen.  And it's safe to say it's been worse than expected.  

Now McCrory is gone, Cooper is muted and Roberts seems to be teflon when it comes to her burden of blame for being a horrible politician.  There also seems to be no end in sight.  A freshman in a 101 political science course could have figured out this is exactly how it would have unfolded if they took a few hours to think it through.  

Until some sort of pain is placed on the electorate for those behind HB2 in the NCGA nothing is going to change.  Until those folks have to choose between jesus and jobs...nothing is going to change because the pain is outside of their purview.

The virtue signaling by PayPal, NCAA and Credit Suisse is doing nothing but giving them good PR.  Until pressure is placed on Cleveland, Guilford and Rockingham counties....I really don't see any change.  

8 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

2600 words and hardly a mention of Roberts.....

There is no denying the culpability of McCrory and the Republicans in the NCGA but at the end of the day all of this was started by Roberts pushing an ordinance with full knowledge of the what would happen.  

The same ordinance was debated and voted on before Roberts was ever elected (this is fact).  And my understanding is that some council members even ran on the promise to get it passed (this was posted here).  It seems a leap to blame her much at all, or think she could have stopped the Council from adopting it even if she wanted to.

53 minutes ago, grodney said:

The same ordinance was debated and voted on before Roberts was ever elected (this is fact).  And my understanding is that some council members even ran on the promise to get it passed (this was posted here).  It seems a leap to blame her much at all, or think she could have stopped the Council from adopting it even if she wanted to.

So then I'll expand it to include the council members as well..  But my main point is just because you run on something does not mean it can or should be implemented.  Especially if new information is presented after the election happens.  

I am not talking a position on the issue itself in my comment above.  What I am taking a position on is the politics behind the issue.  At the end of the day, the rights of those who the Charlotte ordinance were designed for are exactly the same as before the ordinance was passed AND we have the economic fallout that is being mentioned above.  

I personally think if Roberts was competent the economic fallout could have been avoid and rights provided. Seeing as since no rights have been established in this last year it would have been better to negotiate in public about the goals Charlotte has but not under the yoke of HB2.  

On 3/24/2017 at 8:54 AM, elrodvt said:

Just read this article.  In my opinion, it was very well written and accurate.  I blame both Republicans and Democrats for HB2 still being law.  Both are more focused on what is advantageous to their party than what is best for the state.  Pathetic.  Term limits and non-partisan redistricting are the answers.

27 minutes ago, JBS said:

http://www.charlottefive.com/simply-radical-how-to-get-hb2-repealed-in-24-hours/

This will never happen but it should.  My argument all along has been that it is wrong to punish Charlotte for doing the right thing (and this is why I so dislike the HRC).  

While I would love to see this happen I don't think it would solve it.  Until the local economies in rural NC are impacted like Charlotte and Raleigh there is zero pressure on the pols who represent those areas to change.  I'd go further and say something like this would actually have them dig in further because they could claim HB2 does not hurt NC.  

31 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

While I would love to see this happen I don't think it would solve it.  Until the local economies in rural NC are impacted like Charlotte and Raleigh there is zero pressure on the pols who represent those areas to change.  I'd go further and say something like this would actually have them dig in further because they could claim HB2 does not hurt NC.  

Perhaps.  But it would benefit Charlotte for sure and if HB2 was primarily intended to inflict pain on Charlotte (debatable), this would take away that motivation.

10 hours ago, kermit said:

A new economic loss estimate from AP

http://www.greensboro.com/ap/north_carolina/ap-exclusive-bathroom-bill-to-cost-north-carolina-b-over/article_d970a685-dcc3-5343-bb88-36dfed847bf9.html

(IMO a huge underestimate since it does not address lost real estate appreciation in NC cities as a result of reduced high wage job growth)

my memory is not the best but I do not believe we have seen any announcements for new knoweldge / professional jobs in Charlotte since HB2 passed (after removing expansions of firms that already had operations here). #yearwithoutjobgrowth

Would constitute a 0.06% loss over twelve years. If need be, I'll find the change in my sofa cushions to make up the shortfall.

Just now, Dale said:

Would constitute a 0.06% loss over twelve years. If need be, I'll find the change in my sofa cushions to make up the shortfall.

Not if you own in one of the neighborhoods that would have seen buyers from PayPal or Regions or Costar or one of the dozens of other knowledge sector firms who decided to pass on Charlotte. I have no doubt its taken a percent or two off non-HB2 appreciation in the relevant 'hoods.

I think this does matter deeply to some on each side of the issue and certainly to the people directly affected. It's not just a checkers match like many seem to like to portray it. 

In reaction to the idea of trying to turn this to CLT's benefit, I wonder what would happen if we declared CLT a sanctuary LGBT city? They gonna send in the state police or national guard to watch the bathrooms or something? (i know that isn't the whole picture).

So, Observer says they have 48 hours to address HB2 or lose out on NCAA events for years.  What could these morons possibly be working on that would be more important than this.  Just shameful.

Also, I know Texas is considering a similar bill and though I think it's idiotic I will be curious to see if that state is treated similarly if it passes.  It's much easier to avoid NC than TX, especially with SA lined up to host a Final Four and AT&T Stadium in Dallas.  Still unsure why Houston gets rewarded and Charlotte gets punished based on their history on similar issues...  

I think this WILL get resolved by the deadline.  This will be unpopular but that Republican proposal isn't that outlandish (though I'd prefer a full repeal).  If they allow cities to pass nondiscrimination laws and allow for a religious objection for PRIVATELY owned businesses, I could live with that.  It all comes down to the bathroom policy (leaving that in state control and not local communities will not fly).  The Democrats need to compromise also.  Now, that is my opinion but based on Indiana the religious exception might not end the boycott.

Archived