NC Civil Rights

southslider

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ How are the NCAA's actions any different than ALEC? Craft brewers like OMB (the distribution cap)? American Airlines (agitating against sales tax being applied to jet fuel)? Or yesterday at the federal level ISPs purchasing from congress the right to sell all of our browsing histories?

Thanks to Citizens United the list of corporations buying legislation is endless and lacks transparency. At least the NCAA was open about its motives and the process was litigated in public view.

Glad to see the HB2 repeal compromise follow through. Now will be interesting what sort of economic announcements come out as a result that were in a holding pattern because of this. I think all along, the NCGA was just fine watching Charlotte take hits. However, when the hits started impacting other municipalities, they knew they had to do something. NCAA was what pushed this over the edge. 

I'm glad to see HB2 gone. Yes, this deal was not the best, and I understand people's frustrations- especially with Cooper- but this is a step forward IMO, and Cooper did the best he could with a GOP supermajority (which can walk all over him). I am a democrat, I am a liberal, I am LGBT, but I think those people on pages like "The New Civil Rights Movement" and "NC Policy Watch" are getting out of their tree and need to calm down. 

1 hour ago, CLT704 said:

I'm glad to see HB2 gone. Yes, this deal was not the best, and I understand people's frustrations- especially with Cooper- but this is a step forward IMO, and Cooper did the best he could with a GOP supermajority (which can walk all over him). I am a democrat, I am a liberal, I am LGBT, but I think those people on pages like "The New Civil Rights Movement" and "NC Policy Watch" are getting out of their tree and need to calm down. 

I am a liberal gay man and I thought this was an OK compromise. The left wants full repeal, the right wants no repeal, and this repeal met somewhere in the middle with a compromise. Full repeal will never happen with the way our legislature is, so I am happy with the compromise.

I haven't decided where I stand on this. It's a really ugly situation.

Reaction from Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/you-cant-compromise-on-civil-rights-but-north-carolina-just-did/2017/03/30/4fcc192e-1585-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html

I wonder, given how this was apparently pushed at the last second, if anyone even ran this by the business community and sports leagues? From what I've read and seen on TV so far the LGBT community leaders were not involved and one would think they are the primary group to get on board with a compromise. I know that while it might not have been possible for them to compromise shouldn't they have at least been consulted?

5 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I haven't decided where I stand on this. It's a really ugly situation.

Reaction from Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/you-cant-compromise-on-civil-rights-but-north-carolina-just-did/2017/03/30/4fcc192e-1585-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html

I wonder, given how this was apparently pushed at the last second, if anyone even ran this by the business community and sports leagues? From what I've read and seen on TV so far the LGBT community leaders were not involved and one would think they are the primary group to get on board with a compromise. I know that while it might not have been possible for them to compromise shouldn't they have at least been consulted?

If the LBGTQ groups were involved you would have seen HB2 still on the books right now. It would still continue to be a cancer to the state. Now the state can begin to heal. 

16 hours ago, CLT704 said:

15 hours ago, norm21499 said:

I am a liberal gay man and I thought this was an OK compromise. The left wants full repeal, the right wants no repeal, and this repeal met somewhere in the middle with a compromise. Full repeal will never happen with the way our legislature is, so I am happy with the compromise.

Agree 100%. Continuing on from that, I like what Councilwoman Dimple Ajmera said: 

"We all have to understand that this is an important first step in the right direction, this is the beginning and not the end so we will continue to have conversations to be sure we protect all our citizens.”

NCAA announced that it will again consider North Carolina for upcoming tournament bids. Charlotte bid to host the tournament in 2020-2022 at the Spectrum Center. I *think* they may also bidding to host the regionals here as well and not just the 2nd and 3rd rounds held on the first weekend. Next year's 2018 2nd/3rd round games in Charlotte will now also go on originally planned.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article142554594.html 

6 minutes ago, HopHead said:

NCAA announced that it will again consider North Carolina for upcoming tournament bids. Charlotte bid to host the tournament in 2020-2022 at the Spectrum Center. I *think* they may also bidding to host the regionals here as well and not just the 2nd and 3rd rounds held on the first weekend. Next year's 2018 2nd/3rd round games in Charlotte will now also go on originally planned.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article142554594.html 

And presumably, ACC Football Championship is back in Charlotte.  Still waiting on the NBA All Star game for 2019.

2 hours ago, JBS said:

And presumably, ACC Football Championship is back in Charlotte.  Still waiting on the NBA All Star game for 2019.

Expect a decision on the All Star game pretty soon. NBA board to discuss it this week.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/04/04/ap-source-nba-board-to-discuss-charlotte-as-all-star-host/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, southslider said:

Court cases are increasingly ruling that the Federal non-discrimination law for gender applies to LGBT. If that's the case, not even state non-discrimination laws are needed, let alone local laws.

HB2 is dead. Long live Federal protections.

True, but it's still a black eye on the state that N.C. is one of only 3 states that explicitly prohibit non-discrimination laws. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article142260859.html

On 8/2/2016 at 8:04 PM, kermit said:

"State or federal courts have rejected the legislature on:

• Separation of powers – The state Supreme Court ruled the legislature over-reached when it sought to control a panel set up to deal with the state’s coal ash crisis.
  • Congressional redistricting – Unconstitutional gerrymandering forced federal courts to demand a special primary election this year for members of the U.S. House of Representatives.
  • Local school board and county commissioner districts – Unprompted, the legislature redrew Wake County Commission and School Board districts, which federal courts rejected.
  • Teacher association payroll deduction – State courts found the legislature’s effort to prevent the N.C. Association of Educators from using payroll deduction to collect dues was illegal.
  • Judicial “retention” elections – The state Supreme Court rejected an effort to change direct election of state Supreme Court justices to so-called retention elections, a thinly-veiled attempt to protect Republican justices.
  • Voter ID and other ballot-access changes – In a scathing and unsparing opinion the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals just last week labeled unconstitutional and racist, a series of changes to the state’s elections laws that curtailed voting rights of African Americans."

From http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2016/08/01/editorial-list-of-nc-laws-struck-down-as-unconstitutional-continues-to-grow/#sthash.9VlnXpyE.dpuf

Legislative malpractice in NC continues. Redistricting in Guilford County intended to make votes for republicans count more than votes for democrats was ruled to unconstitutional on Monday. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article142454699.html

I am totally serious when I say that legal fees spent by the state to defend legislation that is ruled to be unconstitutional should be paid from the campaign funds held by the ruling political party.

3 hours ago, JBS said:

Interesting expansive article in WSJ today regarding the economic impact on Target for (essentially) coming out against HB2.  The boycotts actually impacted them (which surprises me).  Conclusion: HB2 was bad for everyone, even those opposed. 

Badass North Carolina continued to outpace national and regional economy. Rolled like a juggernaut over the HB2 narrative.

6 minutes ago, Dale said:

Badass North Carolina continued to outpace national and regional economy. Rolled like a juggernaut over the HB2 narrative.

I wonder what it could have been without the narrative.

Archived