NC Civil Rights

southslider

I should add that the idiots in Raleigh have done a lot of positive things (regarding tax rates, for instance) that have surely had a very positive impact on the economy and attracting jobs.  HB2 was an unnecessary mistake but NC is even more attractive to business interests than it was 10 years ago (IMO).  Credit where credit is due...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JBS said:

HB2 was an unnecessary mistake but NC is even more attractive to business interests than it was 10 years ago (IMO).  Credit where credit is due...

They may be bigots, but at least they are fiscally responsible bigots.

15 minutes ago, JBS said:

I should add that the idiots in Raleigh have done a lot of positive things (regarding tax rates, for instance) that have surely had a very positive impact on the economy and attracting jobs.  HB2 was an unnecessary mistake but NC is even more attractive to business interests than it was 10 years ago (IMO).  Credit where credit is due...

I'll agree as it relates to firms looking for low-skill, low-wage workers. I would argue that changes to K-12 education funding, university system funding and neglect of urban infrastructure has discouraged many firms looking for skilled workers from considering NC. Over the long term these decisions are going to be a significant economic drag on the state (IMO).

1 minute ago, kermit said:

I'll agree as it relates to firms looking for low-skill, low-wage workers. I would argue that changes to K-12 education funding, university system funding and neglect of urban infrastructure has discouraged many firms looking for skilled workers from considering NC. Over the long term these decisions are going to be a significant economic drag on the state (IMO).

I feel differently about education funding and they did increase teacher pay.  As for infrastructure, it feels like we are making progress if anything but I could be wrong.  Regarding the type of workers, tech and finance would be arguments against your statement.  I'm not defending these morons (at all), just see things a bit differently.  A non-ideological lawmaker who isn't corrupt/beholden to moneyed interests would do a much different and better job.

I respect the disagreement although I'll add:

• raising teacher pay to rank 41st (out of 51) is not a level of funding that will attract middle class migrants who might value their children's education (but it certainly won't discourage low-skill migrants)
  • As someone involved with hiring in the UNC System I have seen the quality of faculty fall dramatically in the past five years. The innovation machine that created and sustained RTP is withering quickly. This will eliminate a whole class of firms that the state could have attracted in the past (e.g. Cisco, GSK, Nortel (rip))

I really don't have a lot to add here, expect that Pittman is no less a religious zealot than those lunatics running around in northern Iraq right now.  

If the guy was allowed to come out and admit he was pro-confederacy and pro-slavery without backlash, I believe he would.  He's everything wrong with the political landscape in our state and for me, as someone who once hailed from Cabarrus county, he's a fudgeing embarrassment.  

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I really don't have a lot to add here, expect that Pittman is no less a religious zealot than those lunatics running around in northern Iraq right now.  

If the guy was allowed to come out and admit he was pro-confederacy and pro-slavery without backlash, I believe he would.  He's everything wrong with the political landscape in our state and for me, as someone who once hailed from Cabarrus county, he's a fudgeing embarrassment.  

Just curious how he could be "pro-Confederacy" and "pro-slavery" when neither exists? But, I agree he is a bloody idiot. When you lose a battle, get over it and adjust. In the words of Dale, "unless you're a democrat."

11 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

Just curious how he could be "pro-Confederacy" and "pro-slavery" when neither exists? But, I agree he is a bloody idiot. When you lose a battle, get over it and adjust. In the words of Dale, "unless you're a democrat."

He is an idiot, I do agree.  Great conservative patriots losing an election would never provoke outlandish statements such as "let's make him a 1 term president", "I hope he fails", birther movement, etc..etc. Hell, the libs are so far behind in the conspiracy theory count it'll take two Trump terms and 1 Cruz term to catch up.  As for Hitler, come on, even the neo-Nazis hate the libs and align with the far right..it is what it is.

20 minutes ago, JBS said:

Both parties are beyond pathetic and I really have little patience for anyone defending either of them.  It is true, however, that NC Republicans lately have distinguished themselves for their stupidity.  

I fully agree with your first sentence and  agree to a respectable degree with your second. :)

29 minutes ago, JBS said:

It is true, however, that NC Republicans lately have distinguished themselves for their stupidity.  

Sorry but it's the voters that are to blame.  

Just what does it say that Republicans voted for Cooper or McCrory because their commute was messed with but will stand by this Republican because of Jebus and whatever other nonsense they need to wrap themselves in?   This is coming from an unaffiliated but leaning true Conservative.  

Gerrymandering is a large part of the problem as it gives these nuts the ability to go so far to either extreme. Mostly Repub presently since they built the districts last time (to make sure Black people had no say per the courts).

5 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Gerrymandering is a large part of the problem as it gives these nuts the ability to go so far to either extreme. Mostly Repub presently since they built the districts last time (to make sure Black people had no say per the courts).

Gerrymandering is truly one of the biggest evils in our political system.  Career politicians are the other.

16 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Sorry but it's the voters that are to blame.  

Just what does it say that Republicans voted for Cooper or McCrory because their commute was messed with but will stand by this Republican because of Jebus and whatever other nonsense they need to wrap themselves in?   This is coming from an unaffiliated but leaning true Conservative.  

To an extent, but because of the way districts are drawn many people are essentially disenfranchised.

Regarding your second point, I am disgusted with Christians who discarded long-espoused principles to ENTHUSIASTICALLY support a candidate like Trump.  However, I really dislike it when people denigrate sincerely held beliefs as you did ("Jebus").  You can be a nonbeliever and not be a dick. 

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

Democrats never lose. They just get gerrymandered.

4 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

It's almost as if the Democrats are inviting the Republicans to dredge up all the times they've been called Nazis.

4 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

The sad part is that Pittman represents one of the fastest growing parts of Cabarrus which entails Harrisburg and a lot of the south Concord areas hugging the Charlotte city limits.  These areas ironically have received the greatest increase of transplants (a lot of the them from the NE USA) into Cabarrus County.  And he is actually a native of Kinston.  One of his co-sponsers Rep Speciale (I might be spelling that wrong) is actually from Illinois....Chicago at that!!

45 minutes ago, Dale said:

Democrats never lose. They just get gerrymandered.

Hmmm, Dems got 47% of the votes cast in NC Congressional races in 2016 but only gathered 23% of the seats. Would you call this representative democracy?

Votes_vs_Representation_v2.png

Relax Dale, No one is saying only Republicans gerrymander. They've been able to take it to an extreme using modern analytics tools. 

I think most people who've educated themselves on the topic would agree it is an evil and should be stomped out.  The question is how to have prevent the next system from also spiraling out of control. After all most people do have a bias one way or another so a committee of citizens might spiral out of control too. There are several ideas out there.

3 hours ago, JBS said:

Gerrymandering is truly one of the biggest evils in our political system.  Career politicians are the other.

To an extent, but because of the way districts are drawn many people are essentially disenfranchised.

Regarding your second point, I am disgusted with Christians who discarded long-espoused principles to ENTHUSIASTICALLY support a candidate like Trump.  However, I really dislike it when people denigrate sincerely held beliefs as you did ("Jebus").  You can be a nonbeliever and not be a dick. 

Just because someone sincerely holds a belief does not mean what they believe is good, right or beyond reproach.  The only dicks out there are those who act like assholes in the name of Jebus and then get offended over words.  Im indifferent to your outrage.

Archived