NC Civil Rights

southslider

46 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Just because someone sincerely holds a belief does not mean what they believe is good, right or beyond reproach.  The only dicks out there are those who act like assholes in the name of Jebus and then get offended over words.  Im indifferent to your outrage.

I'm neither offended nor outraged but you're definitely a dick.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, southslider said:

If only the party of "small government" would actually respect home rule for local governments...

I'm a libertarian. And so I'm generally loathe to see ANOTHER law on the books. But next to the unnecessary and provocational Charlotte ordinance, I considered HB2 the grownup in the room. Private businesses work too hard to have additional liabilities foisted upon them. And besides, there is no "assault on LGBT."

1 minute ago, southslider said:

A libertarian who doesn't back civil liberties is a contradiction in terms.  Without free people, there cannot be free markets.

As I said before, carve out a group of people. Imagine that they are under siege. Grant them leverage over others and call it civil rights.

8 hours ago, JBS said:

I'm neither offended nor outraged but you're definitely a dick.

Nah.  I'm rude.  A dick is someone that believes in the same fairy tale these religious bigots do but is unwilling to admit that they are liable and culpable for their actions.  Somehow Jesus on Sunday is good but Jesus on Monday in House Bills is bad.  I may use the word Jebus but that's about the extent I will do towards religion.  I stay in my own lane.

The comical part to this all is you seem to take more offense to the use of Jebus in satire over the use of Jesus in hatred and oppression.  People like you are ok hating Republicans, Conservatives or anyone that fits outside of your belief structure but can't take a little mockery towards something that is deserving of mockery.  

A zealot would believe making and selling a cake was somehow blessing anyone's marriage (even third time or a shotgun weddin). Because religious freedom.

8 hours ago, Dale said:

A tyrant would put a baker out of business before he'd drive two blocks to another bakery. Because civil rights.

2 hours ago, southslider said:

A zealot would believe making and selling a cake was somehow blessing anyone's marriage (even third time or a shotgun weddin). Because religious freedom.

It's easy to have beliefs when you don't take them seriously. From the frontlines of the War on LGBT. Another Christian florist bites the dust. Because Love Wins, or something ...

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2016/0712/A-florist-caught-between-faith-and-financial-ruin

6 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Nah.  I'm rude.  A dick is someone that believes in the same fairy tale these religious bigots do but is unwilling to admit that they are liable and culpable for their actions.  Somehow Jesus on Sunday is good but Jesus on Monday in House Bills is bad.  I may use the word Jebus but that's about the extent I will do towards religion.  I stay in my own lane.

The comical part to this all is you seem to take more offense to the use of Jebus in satire over the use of Jesus in hatred and oppression.  People like you are ok hating Republicans, Conservatives or anyone that fits outside of your belief structure but can't take a little mockery towards something that is deserving of mockery.  

So I guess "mocking" a lesbian couple who has to use a "third" party to "have a child together" is OK then???

Since this is Holy Week for Christians and Passover for Jews can we have a cease and desist to this conversation? Nothing is being contributed by anyone and nobody is winning anyone over. Shalom and  Peace be with you on this Good Friday and Passover. PLEASE! 

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Since this is Holy Week for Christians and Passover for Jews can we have a cease and desist to this conversation? Nothing is being contributed by anyone and nobody is winning anyone over. Shalom and  Peace be with you on this Good Friday and Passover. PLEASE! 

You are one of my favorite members and you make a ton of positive contributions to the community so...I respect your opinion.  I also agree that few minds will be changed (though I know my opinion on LGBT rights and issues has changed significantly in the last 2 years based on things I've read on the internet, including right here).  I also agree that the conversation is tiresome and mostly unproductive.  All of that said, it's in the coffee house and that's what it's for.  If folks want to continue the conversation (I don't), have at it.  Just my opinion.  

5 hours ago, Dale said:

This is actually an excellent and thought-provoking article, regardless of where you stand on the issue of private businesses being compelled to provide service to everyone.  If, like me, you were inclined to ignore it, maybe you shouldn't.

3 hours ago, JBS said:

This is actually an excellent and thought-provoking article, regardless of where you stand on the issue of private businesses being compelled to provide service to everyone.  If, like me, you were inclined to ignore it, maybe you shouldn't.

I appreciate your even-handedness on this count. And for the life of me, I can't imagine how one would find gratification in forcing a business to cater to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember when NCLeg passed a bunch of voting restrictions, including requiring ID to vote?  And remember when the courts struck down those restrictions?  And remember when Berger and Moore complained "We can only wonder if the intent is to reopen the door for voter fraud, potentially allowing fellow Democrat politicians like Hillary Clinton and Roy Cooper to steal the election"?

Well, wonder no more, boys.  The results are in.  Requiring photo ID might have prevented one (1) case of fraud in 4.8 million votes cast.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/editorials/article146486019.html

TL;DR:

4,769,640 votes cast in November

508 total ineligible

441 felons

41 non-citizens from 28 countries, here legally but ineligible to vote

24 double-votes

1 mail-in impersonation

1 in-person impersonation

p.s. This source estimates 342,000 undocumented illegals living in North Carolina: http://myfox8.com/2016/03/30/the-states-with-the-most-undocumented-immigrants/

p.p.s The state has estimated there are 218,000 registered voters without valid photos ID as previously required to vote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/north-carolinas-voter-id-shenanigans/2016/01/31/7d9f1090-c563-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html?utm_term=.4f0ee0ea456a  Other sources have estimated over 500,000: http://nc-democracy.org/active-voters-without-a-photo-id/ 

I'm wary, and a little scared, its seems like there is a force always acting as an impediment to NC, going back more than a century.  Today, Wilmington, or some other place nearby, could be the blossoming Little Hollywood, but McC/the GOP destroyed that, and now that is Atlanta, and there is no way to reverse it.  It seems we fight through impediments and succeed anyway, but always with a hamstring cut.

Archived