NC Civil Rights

southslider

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Credit Suisse today:

Eric Varvel, President and CEO of Credit Suisse USA, confirmed at Tuesday’s announcement that the HB2 weighed heavily on its decision.

ourselves on fostering a truly inclusive and high-quality work environment for our employees here and around the world,” Varvel said in a statement. “We opposed HB2, which was at odds with these core values. While it was on the books, we chose to halt our expansion plans in the state and consider other options. We realize the recent repeal of HB2 contains some compromises, and while not perfect, it is an important first step that re-establishes the minimum conditions for us to expand our presence in the state.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article149471919.html

Can't help but notice this is the first significant announcement of high-wage, knowledge industry, jobs in the state since HB2 was passed.

12 minutes ago, kermit said:

Credit Suisse today:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article149471919.html

Can't help but notice this is the first significant announcement of high-wage, knowledge industry, jobs in the state since HB2 was passed.

Always good to see NC growing. But since the latest was a repeal-in-name-only, this is a transparent case of virtue-signaling.

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Always good to see NC growing. But since the latest was a repeal-in-name-only, this is a transparent case of virtue-signaling.

help me understand how virtue-signaling is a negative -- I never did understand how the phase became criticism.

10 minutes ago, Dale said:

At last check, it was another name for moral-preening.

but how is it different from marketing? (something every business does every day). Since its self-evident that businesses sell more stuff when they don't look like assholes (e.g. United Airlines) what is bad about virtue-signaling in the context of capitalism? It seems fundamental to competition within free-markets.

1 minute ago, kermit said:

but how is it different from what every business does every day (marketing). Since its self-evident that businesses sell more stuff when they don't look like assholes (e.g. United Airlines) what is bad about virtue-signaling in the context of capitalism? It seems fundamental to competition within free-markets.

A company is allowed puff and strut in ways that curry favor among target demographics  ... and I'm allowed to underscore its hypocrisy

I will acknowledge a sign of health on this thread though. The cat meme points to this whole issue pitting those who want more government against people who want less government.

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

A company is allowed puff and strut in ways that curry favor among target demographics  ... and I'm allowed to underscore its hypocrisy

Again, how is it different than marketing? How is it hypocrisy to "curry favor among target demographics?"

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

The cat meme points to this whole issue pitting those who want more government against people who want less government.

Its not a function of government to enforce fundamental rights?

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

Again, how is it different than marketing? How is it hypocrisy to "curry favor among target demographics?"

Its not a fundamental function of government to enforce fundamental rights?

Again, companies are allowed to wax hypocritical and call it marketing. And who determines what rights are "fundamental" such that they should be enjoined by the barrel of a gun ?

1 minute ago, Dale said:

Again, companies are allowed to wax hypocritical and call it marketing.

I am honestly trying to understand the term. How is it hypocritical for a company to market itself to its core customers?

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

I am honestly trying to understand the term. How is it hypocritical for a company to market itself to its core customers?

It's not hypocritical to market. It's hypocritical to be hypocritical.

34 minutes ago, Dale said:

It's not hypocritical to market. It's hypocritical to be hypocritical.

It took me a minute but I think I've got it: Virtue-signalling referees to an unwritten ideological purity test for advertising and marketing. If a company ever sends a mixed message about its intentions or motivations it is to be immediately tarred with the V-S brush. Interesting that some feel a need to apply this test to businesses which are competing in a free market -- since the thing that characterizes all successful businesses is selling stuff to a broad and often fractious group of customers.

If the raison d'etre of a business is to sell stuff then what is gained by labeling them as hypocrites when they try to sell stuff to different groups?

septic.jpg

1 hour ago, kermit said:

help me understand how virtue-signaling is a negative.

If you are trans in Charlotte North Carolina do you have more or less rights than what you did while HB2 was law?

There is a difference between virtue-signaling and being a company that has established a brand known for integrity and equality.   If you don't understand the difference between a cheap gimmick to score some PR points and brand equity earned over time then you really shouldn't be trying to have conversations about or make statements on what marketing is. 

Credit Suisse or PayPal don't give a crap about the Trans community.  They don't care about social issues.  They care only about your perception of their perception and how that relates to how much money they make.  

your suggestion that I am not worthy of participating in the discussion is charming.

43 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

There is a difference between virtue-signaling and being a company that has established a brand known for integrity and equality.   If you don't understand the difference between a cheap gimmick to score some PR points and brand equity earned over time then you really shouldn't be trying to have conversations about or make statements on what marketing is. 

Credit Suisse or PayPal don't give a crap about the Trans community.  They don't care about social issues.  They care only about your perception of their perception and how that relates to how much money they make.  

Your last sentence sums up my point nicely. Credit Suisse only cares about how much money they make, so I don't see a problem with them signalling any type of value if they think it will maximize profits. So my honest question is still unanswered, if the company believes that an action maximizes profitability then "how is virtue-signalling a bad thing?"

57 minutes ago, kermit said:

your suggestion that I am not worthy of participating in the discussion is charming.

Your last sentence sums up my point nicely. Credit Suisse only cares about how much money they make, so I don't see a problem with them signalling any type of value if they think it will maximize profits. So my honest question is still unanswered, if the company believes that an action maximizes profitability then "how is virtue-signalling a bad thing?"

Because some people mistake virtue-signalling for vitrue and think it actually means something when a PayPal or Credit Suisse backs out of a move.   

1 minute ago, cjd5050 said:

Because some people mistake virtue-signalling for vitrue and think it actually means something when a PayPal or Credit Suisse backs out of a move.   

If a company takes an action that maximizes profitability (regardless of what "some people" think motivated the action) how is that a negative for the company?

How is virtue-signalling a bad thing _for a company_?

Archived