NC Civil Rights

southslider

6 hours ago, Dale said:

A boycotting endorsement from then would-be Governor, Roy Cooper, to effectively punish ordinary North Carolinians because the legislature would not permit Charlotte to dictate bathroom policy, hiring practices, etc., to private businesses.

Ok

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have supported the LGBT community as far as equality for all people and looked at LGBT members as I do anyone in life. I may have lost all respect for their organization. How can any group that has formed to fight discrimination, discriminate. The LGBT committee has disallowed a float of LGBT Trump supporters from being part of their parade entry. It seems to me that allowing the LGBT Trump supporters to be part of the parade would show that the group encourages tolerance and accepts others and doesn't focus on following any strict requirements in regards to politics, religion, race, or otherwise. What I see now is hypocrisy and intolerance. . My son is gay and is a Trump supporter. Does that eliminate him from being LGBT? Open your minds folks. 

28 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

I have supported the LGBT community as far as equality for all people that are equally qualified and looked at members as I do anyone in life. I have lost all respect for their organization. How can any group that has formed to fight discrimination, discriminate. The LGBT committee has disallowed a float of LGBT Trump supporters from being part of their parade entry. It seems to me that allowing the LGBT Trump supporters to be part of the parade would show that the group encourages tolerance and accepts others and doesn't focus on following any strict requirements in regards to politics, religion, race, or otherwise. What I see now is hypocrisy and intolerance. . My son is gay and is a Trump supporter. Does that eliminate him from being LGBT? Open your minds folks. 

Yep, so much for diversity.

As a gay man who is no fan of Trump, I firmly believe Charlotte Pride's leadership team made the wrong decision.  I hope this was just a shortsighted knee-jerk reaction to the real or perceived threat an empowered and emboldened Trump base could pose for the LGBTQ rights movement and not a more calculated decision to determine which opinions in our community are acceptable and which are not.

4 hours ago, cltcane said:

As a gay man who is no fan of Trump, I firmly believe Charlotte Pride's leadership team made the wrong decision.  I hope this was just a shortsighted knee-jerk reaction to the real or perceived threat an empowered and emboldened Trump base could pose for the LGBTQ rights movement and not a more calculated decision to determine which opinions in our community are acceptable and which are not.

It should be no more than a show of pride of the LGBT community without all of the BS associated with the anti-Trump agenda. Supporting Trump doesn't make gay Trump supporters any less LGBT. They are not required to follow anybody's political agenda except their own. Focus on love and acceptance and not prejudice against those that are free to support their President. 

13 hours ago, southslider said:

Doesn't seem to matter to our "fake news" president.

But as yuge of an idiot Trump is, I still defend the right of his LGBT supporters to march in Pride.

Trump stomped their arse in any case. I respect the LGBT individuals that have the integrity to exercise their rights of free speech and expression without the "yuge" number of left wing sheeple intimidating  them.  Unfortunately. millions of members of a certain party supported by the left does not support freedom for good Americans that don't fit their exact model to the tee. God bless American, our president, and our patriotic LGBT community members. . I hope I am not kicked off for giving an opinion that doesn't break any rules but doesn't please everyone. Our LGBT community is part of our society regardless of politics, race, religion, etc. We are Americans or hopefully "vetted" immigrants. Their opinions count even if they are courageous enough to be  independent thinkers and defying those that oppose their showing pride of whom they are.  

38 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Lets get one thing straight. Your past comments prove you have NO support for LBGT rights and to claim you did is disgraceful. And the revelation that you have a gay son and posted past comments on here is deplorable. 

I have to agree with that 100%. 

And Charlotte Pride has a first amendment right to ban who ever it wants, as backed by the Supreme Court in Hurley v. Irish-American Gay, Lesbian, & Bisexual Group of Boston. Charlotte Pride decided it did not fit the values of what the pride festival stands for, and therefore have the right to ban it. To claim it goes against free speech is hypocritical when CP is exercising its rights as set out in the first amendment. 

Pride festivals do not define and cover the whole LGBT+ community, so the Gays for Trump float is just being a bunch of snowflakes because they didn't get their way. And the comment about it being left-wing, it is because most of the community votes Democratic since the GOP does not care about the community (see the whole denying service to gay people because it goes against their religion as an example). Gay Republicans are like turkeys voting for Christmas. 

1 hour ago, CLT704 said:

I have to agree with that 100%. 

And Charlotte Pride has a first amendment right to ban who ever it wants, as backed by the Supreme Court in Hurley v. Irish-American Gay, Lesbian, & Bisexual Group of Boston. Charlotte Pride decided it did not fit the values of what the pride festival stands for, and therefore have the right to ban it. To claim it goes against free speech is hypocritical when CP is exercising its rights as set out in the first amendment. 

Pride festivals do not define and cover the whole LGBT+ community, so the Gays for Trump float is just being a bunch of snowflakes because they didn't get their way. And the comment about it being left-wing, it is because most of the community votes Democratic since the GOP does not care about the community (see the whole denying service to gay people because it goes against their religion as an example). Gay Republicans are like turkeys voting for Christmas. 

This is the same mentality that the Trump CAMPAIGN use during the primary when they ejected individuals that were not in sync with the campaign rallies.   And of course criticism arouse from that.  People didn't realize that campaign rallies were PRIVATE events that gave them the right to ban who ever they wanted.  I quite sure that the "snowflakes" at that time could also be the ones banning floats or groups that do not conform to their ideas!

Without making this all gossip and hearsay, I have heard from more than a few that the folks who run the political avenues of our local scene are often more interested in optics and politics than progressive growth.

These LGBT orgs in Charlotte/NC are run by gay white men who seem to show little interest in being inclusive even within their own community. The HRC for example is a boy's club, snubbing women and people of color. So, in true irony, their own privilege blinds them to their own discrimination, saying nothing of this whole Trump Float thing.

56 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Without making this all gossip and hearsay, I have heard from more than a few that the folks who run the political avenues of our local scene are often more interested in optics and politics than progressive growth.

These LGBT orgs in Charlotte/NC are run by gay white men who seem to show little interest in being inclusive even within their own community. The HRC for example is a boy's club, snubbing women and people of color. So, in true irony, their own privilege blinds them to their own discrimination, saying nothing of this whole Trump Float thing.

Thank you Sgt for pointing out the obvious to the oblivious. :)

On 6/12/2017 at 7:21 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm more just saying a chunk of the leadership doesn't represent the population and most of the community knows it.

Basically, it doesn't matter which group you identify with.  You can still be an asshole.

Unless you identify as an asshole, I'm not really sure how that would work.

Archived