NC Civil Rights

southslider

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Spartan said:

As it stands now, the South Carolina bill only affects bathrooms, so unless it gets changed it would be far less detrimental than the North Carolina bill. The bill is being proposed by our favorite bigot, secessionist, and tax evader, Lee Bright. This is the same man who has proposed many other brilliant ideas including a adopting a state religion, creating a state currency, and among other questionable beliefs, is a pro-secessionist. I mention that only because his bills frequently don't go very far. Are y'all sure you want Mecklenburg County to secede? 

Most of them want Meck Co. to succeed which basically means they don't know what the heck they're talking about.

2 hours ago, jednc said:

Most of them want Meck Co. to succeed which basically means they don't know what the heck they're talking about.

Well I think we all want it to succeed.  This secession talk is silly though.  We ain't going nowhere.  I don't like the bill, but NC is still a great place.

1. As ah59396 says: "...NC is still a great place."

Whether for / agin HB2, as Tar Heels we can all agree that "Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning."

You might get a kick out of Al Jolson's version of "Carolina in the Morning".

Here from  Youtube: 

I mentioned on here the other day that not all Christians should be painted with the same brush and that not every church is busy teaching hate. A friend of mine posted on FB this morning that she had enjoyed today's sermon (at her church, not the one I attend) and she alluded to HB2 as well. I went to the church's site and downloaded the sermon. I've attached the file here. The relevant part comes at 27:12. Don't worry, I'm not trying to brainwash anyone. I just hope that some of you come away feeling like you have allies in places you honestly didn't realize and that the entire bible belt is not against you.

Just for ethical purposes, the MP3 comes from The Cove Church and the sermon is by Mike Madding, Senior Pastor.

Who_s_Rights_Are_Right.mp3

Gov. McCrory has just posted on Medium an essay that discusses the current situation with HB2. In that essay he says he has amended the State Equal Employment Opportunity policy to include sexual orientation and gender identity. He also says he will seek legislation to once again allow the right to sue for discrimination in NC. I have quoted his essay below along with a link to the entire thing.

"And fourth, as governor, I have expanded our state equal employment opportunity policy to clarify that sexual orientation and gender identity are included.

And fifth, I will immediately seek legislation in the upcoming short session to reinstate the right to sue for discrimination in North Carolina state courts."

Link to Essay

And the Charlotte Chamber's reaction...link.

the NC GA has a long list of anti business in this state.

Goodbye entertainment and movie industry.

Goodbye Asheville water system

Greensboro needs to change voting district during an election

Hold on CLT airport, it is not all over yet.

Cut business income tax, and says we do need to compete with other states for business by giving them tax breaks.

Goodbye to all the jobs lost in the hotel  industry and convention business.

HB2 takes the cake,

Goodbye LRT construction in NC  $500,000 want build much.

They could not take sales tax money away from the large cities so we got a labor tax.

PayPal 440 pay jobs  are not needed or and other job lost in NC are not need if it means repeal of the HB2 law.

The question is how much money will NC lost over this law.  I would say by the end of the year,  tax revenue could be down near 1Billion dollars.  Lets see how they will balance the budget.

On 4/7/2016 at 0:07 PM, rancenc said:

Actually the average African-American voter, especially in the South has never been enamored with equating LGBT rights to the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's.  I have heard numerous times from black folks, that "God created my skin color but gay people chose their lifestyle.  And have also heard similar attitudes within the Hispanic community, especially those from very conservative backgrounds from Mexico and Central America (not so much from South American and the Caribbean).

For me, being gay is not a choice.  It's who I've always been.  Trust a gay person who says, "if being gay were choice, it's not a choice I would make."

That said, there are other "protected" classes that are clearly choices:  religion, veterans, familial status, pregnancy....   The root of discrimination is fear.  The more people who know gay people, the less likely they are to accept discrimination against them.  We need a PR campaign what 

I AM Campaign with Text Cropped TEST.jpg

3 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

Thought it was pretty cool when I saw that The Westin put up a sign that says "Always welcome in Chalotte" on the outside of the building (in multicolored letters) and also is opening a gender-neutral bathroom.

I saw billboards for that campaign on 85 near the airport too. Its a bit of a vague campaign, but right now hopefully most people are getting it. 

I read yesterday that McCrory won 48,000 more votes in Meck. Co than Romney, 23% vote count difference.  That is a HUGE swing. That mistake came with a big price. Be sure the ENTIRE GOP ticket pays a price this November.  Don't (just) get mad, get even. Make Richard Burr pay the price just as much as McCrory.     

14 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I read yesterday that McCrory won 48,000 more votes in Meck. Co than Romney, 23% vote count difference.  That is a HUGE swing. That mistake came with a big price. Be sure the ENTIRE GOP ticket pays a price this November.  Don't (just) get mad, get even. Make Richard Burr pay the price just as much as McCrory.     

Here is the problem...most of the legislators in Raleigh are running uncontested races or they are running in districts so heavily republican leaning that they have no fear of losing the election. Now, that won't apply to McCrory of course. It also won't apply to Burr, but none of this is really his doing. The ones who need to be removed from office (the ones destroying NC Public Schools, the ones who continue to pay private attorneys to litigate against the legalization of gay marriage and the ones responsible for passing HB2) are virtually guaranteed a return ticket to Raleigh in January...and they'll still be the majority party.

13 hours ago, jednc said:

Here is the problem...most of the legislators in Raleigh are running uncontested races or they are running in districts so heavily republican leaning that they have no fear of losing the election. Now, that won't apply to McCrory of course. It also won't apply to Burr, but none of this is really his doing. The ones who need to be removed from office (the ones destroying NC Public Schools, the ones who continue to pay private attorneys to litigate against the legalization of gay marriage and the ones responsible for passing HB2) are virtually guaranteed a return ticket to Raleigh in January...and they'll still be the majority party.

I'm well aware of the gerrymander aspect, but you can't tell me that EVERY district is not competitive in this cycle.  Target the best opportunities and focus the entire state on those set of races in each house.  With Trump or Cruz at the top of the ticket, you can't tell me there aren't some upsets in the making out there.  

As for Burr, I don't give a damn that this isn't any of his doing. He is a high level statewide elected official of the party that enacted this. He DOES have influence and he has NOT condemned this, and in fact is trying to avoid the issue altogether. DON'T LET HIM !!  This is an issue of national importance that significantly affects the state's economy and reputation and which will be an example for other states to follow.  He doesn't get to stay on the sidelines, and if he isn't on our side of this issue, he has to go.  

If McCrory losses, you win one battle and gain some power back, but if BOTH lose, you get TWICE the power and influence to change things and to put the fear of God into the next state that wants to follow NC's lead.  Tom Tillis served in the legislature and if Burr loses, he just might just tell his buddies he does want to face the same fate.  

The GOP did this, let them know they will pay the biggest possible price for doing so. This is a WAR, and you don't give quarter to your opponent.         

17 hours ago, jednc said:

You're absolutely right, but McCrory will likely be the sacrificial lamb this Fall. Even if he's been a lame duck his entire tenure, he could have still stood up against some of the heinous acts committed by the NCGA, even if they had a veto-proof majority. There might have even been a chance of him swinging some of the Republicans that represented areas in blue counties. But he did nothing, but sign off on the crap that came his way. His backpedaling (like his recent executive action) also pisses off the conservatives in this state, and makes him look even weaker.

In regards to the NCGA, the legislative districts are in court right now, and there is a slim possibility that the maps have to be redrawn. They'll still be redrawn to favor conservatives, but they will have to do it without racial bias, which should make the districts slightly more competitive. Also, if Trump is the nominee, I would have to wonder what sort of impact he might have on the down-ticket races, for better or worse. I can see rural counties easily going for him, but what about Republicans in blue counties, like south Charlotte for instant? He seems to struggle in bluer counties among Republicans, and that could be a problem for state legislators that represent these areas.

If Democrats want to regain control of the NCGA, they need to capitalize on these suburban areas that surround our major cities. In north Meck, for example, Democrats should constantly run ads about the I-77 toll debacle, and about how it was mostly Republicans that came up with the entire scheme. In south Meck, maybe run a moderate Democrat that has crossover appeal with independent and Republican voters. Also remind the entire region about the job losses that accrued from HB2, and how it is creating harm to our major employment centers, like Uptown, SouthPark, University City, and Ballantyne. Democrats need to run a state level equivalent of the fifty-state strategy, and push hard in any county and district they can.

The aim is to elect enough Democrats to sustain Cooper's veto. This is a real possibility IF the right voters turn out.  Do not underestimate that the Koch brothers also recognize this and will be pouring their dollars into these hotly contested races.  A good read in today's N&O with respect to the assumptions and backroom dealings that led to the HB2 exclusionary tactics.  http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/ned-barnett/article72280037.html   Also, a very insightful comment from a reader who addresses rural politics and change that will come...

"When contemplating political sabotage, one might look at history for an example of how these types of coup d'état ultimately work out. There is the occasional short term gain, but inevitably those who find themselves on the wrong side of morality will also find themselves on the wrong side of history. The surge of republicans in state seats that seemed like a well-funded backlash to the Obama presidency are bringing their ill conceived chickens home to roost with bad and costly policy. How many laws have been forced through, then challenged; how many overturned and at what cost? Amendment 1, Voting Acts, Teacher’s Tenure, HB2, the Religious Freedom Bill… I’m sure there’s more.

History might take time in effecting change. It will patiently, but eventually self-correct towards the benefit of humanity. It always does. Having grown up in rural NC, the current murder of crows in office don’t represent the flock of my people. We’re smart, we’re caring, we might differ in the occasional opinion of the major cities, but we’re not above compromise. If we intend to help history along its course, the rural counties of NC need to unite, organize, and elect people with a morally sound compass. They’re out there. Find them, encourage them, help them lead you to a better life". 

Archived