The River District

cltbwimob

^^ Could the soil/environment support density on the waterfront?  Not familiar with this area, just assuming it is similar to portions of Lake Norman in which it would be an issue. On the other hand, preserve a strip along the waterline that was park (50 feet?), and allow density to front/address that directly. Immediate residents would pretty much be powerless to avoid it.

17 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Isn't it safe to assume some if not most of those lots will be purchased?  I mean it's going to be a billion dollar development and I am sure both parties could reach a number.

I don't know anything about land acquisition for this kind of thing, but I think it would have already happened before the boundaries of the development were announced, right?

I have a couple of friends that live on the waterfront near here, with some of the lower density stuff proposed right across the street. There was no buy out attempt in their neighborhood, they only bought the surrounding undeveloped land. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where does everyone who lives on this part of the river go in their boats? Looking at google maps, anyone with property that has access to the river, there is a dock. It looks like you can go all the way down to Tega Cay and Lake Wylie, but is that true? Going north, you're blocked by the damn that forms Mt Island lake. If we want the river district to blossom, we need to be able to use the river. What if anything is being done regarding this?

i still consider that lake wylie,  its the northernmost point of wylie, but yes you can go to T-bones, river hills, tega cay etc from any of the docks you are speaking of.

headed north from this area(river district) you can actually get up to 85 and the whitewater center where the paddle boarders are but it begins to get shallow and narrow,  its a long trip to this point from buster boyd bridge

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

River District to have a $5.6 Billion impact and I would believe it given there will be 8 million sq of commercial space. This will be the spot for next generation of headquarters and major offices coming to Charlotte after Uptown of course. https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/07/12/report-river-district-commercial-uses-could.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=scroll&ed=2017-07-12&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1499887201&j=78539131

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting transit cost sharing news from London. A housing developer who plans to build 10,800 housing units (ironically beside a river) will pay 65% of the $340million (usd) cost of a 2.8 mile extension of an overground line. 

It sure would be nice to live in a place where developers were expected to contribute as much to transit alternatives as they contribute to driving (via on site roads and parking)

http://londonist.com/london/transport/the-london-overground-is-being-extended?

edit: while the housing site is riverfront it is in the middle of the most industrial part of London. These are not high end houses.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

Interesting transit cost sharing news from London. A housing developer who plans to build 10,800 housing units (ironically beside a river) will pay 65% of the $340million (usd) cost of a 2.8 mile extension of an overground line. 

It sure would be nice to live in a place where developers were expected to contribute as much to transit alternatives as they contribute to driving (via on site roads and parking)

http://londonist.com/london/transport/the-london-overground-is-being-extended?

edit: while the housing site is riverfront it is in the middle of the most industrial part of London. These are not high end houses.

can't believe the extension is that cheap!!!!

17 minutes ago, kermit said:

While not high end in London, they still are surely "high end" in nearly every American city. London is among the top 5 most expensive cities in the world. 

6 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

While not high end in London, they still are surely "high end" in nearly every American city. London is among the top 5 most expensive cities in the world. 

While that is true in an expat, high-end, American-style kinda way (e.g. living in a big house and eating out frequently) those surveys do not monitor the cost of living for more typical folks. Central, North and West London are incredibly expensive but, given its industrial history, East London (Essex) is an entirely different economic and social entity. Believe me when I say that Dagenham (where this development is being built) is much more like Cleveland than Chelsea.

Edited by kermit

35 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

can't believe the extension is that cheap!!!!

It looks like most of it is using existing track so the money is mostly for electrification and a new station (based on a quick look at google sat view)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's good and adds density to the county and more tax revenue. 

Im not excited but I think it's a good thing for the city. It's better than Gaston,  Union or Iredell siphoning off development (which I think Gaston has completely dropped the  ball on establishing a higher income enclave   Like our other neighboring counties. 

5 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Am I the only one who hates this project? Felling lots of trees (yes I know they're keeping some), development away from Uptown and surrounding areas where there is space, encouraging urban sprawl. 

I'm with ya.  Very sad that in this period of time when we should be doing everything possible to minimize our footprint, preserving and even encouraging more trees to combat pollution (and of course CO2), we sometimes forget amid all  the excitement of sexy buildings and 'progress', that our existence might hang on what we do now.   What good are fancy new building, exploding population, etc, if in the next season we have a major drought and fires roar through here as they are in California ?  It's a scary thought that what we do might actually cause GW, but even as an old timer myself, I can see that we need curb some of our ambitions, or, redirect them.

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The River District by its own plans will have lots of green space to control runoff and partly because it is deep ravines.  The rest of the developed project is very dense with townhomes apartments and SF homes on small lots.  If  the intown neighborhoods start accepting 5-10 story  apartment buildings in the heart of  their neighborhoods,  then maybe a growing city would not need to expand.   But since intown neighborhoods are big NIMBY advocates then a growing city needs to expand and better in Mecklenburg county then all over the region.  (I am not saying intown neighborhoods are wrong with their stance I am saying that is very unrealistic to think everybody can be living in the existing footprint of the city they way we are growing)  Overall I like one developer controlling a large tract of land it will yield much better planning and design than piece meal development on this property. 

It is definitely time to build "up" and not out.  Building out only contributes to sprawl.  Building 10 story dwellings are built, there will be more room for green space and perhaps an extensive river walk for everyone and not just those owning homes adjacent. The Charlotte area needs to start thinking about the near future when the city population reaches 2 million plus.  And, think rail too!!!

27 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Why do people feel more connected to the trees in the River District than all the trees in York County, Lancaster County, Union County, Cabarrus County, north Mecklenburg, etc.... being torn down for giant subdivisions? There are an extra 400,000+ people expected to be in the Charlotte metro over the next 10 years that will need somewhere to live and due to the empty land in surrounding counties,  developers will either find the land in Mecklenburg or outside of it. The River District at least is within the county and would not increase "super commuting" from locations 20 miles out of the city and could possibly be attached to light rail to the airport.

When infill apartment towers in the center city are going for $1,500 for 500 square feet, infill is not going to stop the spread of $250,000 tract homes for the middle class and all the people with kids. The River District could be a good location to provide housing, shopping, and entertainment on a side of town that is lacking in it. It could improve the values in Steele Creek and maybe slow some of the bleed into York County. 

I do actively protest development in Cabarrus County and North Mecklenburg..... not to mention the chip mills that are going up in Eastern N.C. in order to send wood pellets to Europe for fuel.... but that's another issue....  The deal the county recently made in order to accomodate an Amazon warehouse in the WATERSHED of Kannapolis' water supply is atrocious.

I think what irks some of us about the River development is that it's really the last grand stand of tree canopy left in the county.  Each county and region has its own unique mini ecosystems and saying, for instance, there're plenty of trees in Anson County isn't quite the same.  

I'm glad The Catawba River Keeper was involved at least in this development, but should somebody like Amazon come along and say, 'Yes, we'd like to build there, but we'd need to bulldoze everything in order to make it happen" , then I guarantee any input The Catawba River Keeper had will be swept down the river.   The environment consistently ranks low among voters; always behind jobs and security.  It's just too bad too, since the other issues won't mean a hill of beans once we finish with this planet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

It is definitely time to build "up" and not out.  Building out only contributes to sprawl.  Building 10 story dwellings are built, there will be more room for green space and perhaps an extensive river walk for everyone and not just those owning homes adjacent. The Charlotte area needs to start thinking about the near future when the city population reaches 2 million plus.  And, think rail too!!!

People are always going to want to build out, lots and lots of people prefer 2500 square feet on an acre of land for 400k over 1000 square feet apartment uptown for essentially the same price.  And I doubt this will change.  

Also, 2 million in the city is near future?!?! 

Edited by Popsickle
  • Like 3