The River District

cltbwimob

I think for our overall region, this project contributes to a healthier and more sustainable environment and will add to our density.  With or without being connected to the Silver Line (airport finds + private developer funds). The silver & blue line will give south Charlotte 2 options of rail. Go to Matthews, Pineville, or River District depending which terminus is most convenient.  

If we just had Red, Blue & Silver lines and built dense within these corridors, we are building smart. 

• Like 2

I hate to lose the trees and wilderness.  However, I actually think this development opens up a part of Charlotte that today is inaccessible to and forgotten by most residents.  One of the things that Uptown is missing is a major body of water (river, bay, etc.).  IF this is done right (I have reservations about implementation based on the players involved), this could fill that void.  I love the thought of semi-urban (or even suburban) walkways adjacent to the river.  I also like the plan to make this a transit connected community that will be highly walk-able, with people living, shopping, dining and working in the same area.  From an environmental standpoint, that feels like a plus.  If this project hastens light rail to the airport and beyond, that's another big benefit.  All things considered, I'm a big fan of the project.  I do hope that it's done right and not just another Ballantyne on the river.

Edited by JBS
  • Like 2

I feel like the River District is a great project. Most major U.S. Cities are on a body of water and typically have shopping, dining and residential on the water. I think this will fill that void in Charlotte. I hope that transportation leaders come out of their shell and examine different line options to the River District and the Airport. I don't like taking down trees but it's what we will have to do until City officials realize they should change zoning to allow for at least some mid rises, Because at some point we are going to have to build more up then out or else we are going to be the next Atlanta. 

• Like 1

I can understand people's concerns with it but a master planned, cooperative project of this scale is likely going to be great. It's big enough to gather a lot of attention meaning scrutiny and changes for the better. The only potential defeat would be a budget problem or a recession half way through building it.

I also think this NEEDS rail transit as it begins to mature to prevent a part of the CLT city limits from becoming a disconnected community that would essentially be sprawl. 

Overall though, I'm genuinely optimistic until more concrete details come out.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, southslider said:

What will make River District more suitable for rail transit than say Ballantyne or Birkdale?

It's proximity to the airport (can use airport money), a chance for private-public partnership, the public sees value in an airport line for some reason, and less complexity in all the property that has to be bought. Less landowners to deal with. It would also be combined probably with the silver line that would connect Matthews, uptown, blue line, gold line, airport, serve 485 on both ends.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

It's proximity to the airport (can use airport money), a chance for private-public partnership, the public sees value in an airport line for some reason, and less complexity in all the property that has to be bought. Less landowners to deal with. It would also be combined probably with the silver line that would connect Matthews, uptown, blue line, gold line, airport, serve 485 on both ends.

Good points.

On 10/12/2017 at 10:20 PM, Nick2 said:

I also think this NEEDS rail transit as it begins to mature to prevent a part of the CLT city limits from becoming a disconnected community that would essentially be sprawl. 

Can't agree enough with this statement, the airport is a necessary, but immense barrier to that side of the city, hence why development hasn't happened there naturally. It's incredible to drive around the airport, especially south and west of the field, and know you're in the 16th most populous city in America. If the river district relies solely on roads, Wilkinson and West, for commuter (and eventually weekend) traffic, then it WILL essentially become it's own municipality, even if not formally so, think University City, I have lived up here since I began college and it feels like an entirely different town that Charlotte. 

On another note, I think keeping the name "River District" or something similar such as "River Park" or "The Waterfront" to give some generic options is essential to keeping the idea that this is a neighborhood of Charlotte, not some suburban town. Once again going back to University City, I hate the name because it eludes to the separation from the rest of Charlotte. 

57 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Can't agree enough with this statement, the airport is a necessary, but immense barrier to that side of the city, hence why development hasn't happened there naturally. It's incredible to drive around the airport, especially south and west of the field, and know you're in the 16th most populous city in America. If the river district relies solely on roads, Wilkinson and West, for commuter (and eventually weekend) traffic, then it WILL essentially become it's own municipality, even if not formally so, think University City, I have lived up here since I began college and it feels like an entirely different town that Charlotte. 

On another note, I think keeping the name "River District" or something similar such as "River Park" or "The Waterfront" to give some generic options is essential to keeping the idea that this is a neighborhood of Charlotte, not some suburban town. Once again going back to University City, I hate the name because it eludes to the separation from the rest of Charlotte. 

But it isn't in the city of Charlotte, so it really isn't a neighborhood of it either.  Also makes me think it is less likely we see transit to it.

• 1 month later...

If this is their latest plan.... they are basically building a worse version of Ballantyne. The office park area looks like it is all a single use 4-5 story office building set back from the street in a garden / lawn, with a parking garage next to it. The office portion is so far from the residential portion that nobody will be walking to work. This area will be a traffic nightmare, they have a street with 25 parking garages emptying onto a suburban road that feeds into the road leading to the interstate. At 5PM, there will be thousands of cars trying to turn left to get onto 485 outer at just that one intersection. 

It also looks like the river front won't be used at all, other than you might be able to hike to it (which you can already do today at other points along the river).

The retail center looks like it will be the typical Harris Teeter with a dry cleaner next door and an outparcel with fast food or fast casual chains. Expect traffic on the weekends down to Steele Creek for people running errands at Target or really any other store because this area will have nothing to do on the weekends. Looks like zero space for anything nightlife related other than a handful of restaurants. 

They even have the school in purple at the northern end of the plan completely isolated and separate from the residential section so none of the kids will be able to walk to school and buses / cars will have to drive the kids out and around through the office district to get to the school. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

Ballantyne will probably be better than this. They need to build apartments with ground floor retail and office integrated into the building. They have such a good opportunity here and I hope they don't ruin it by adding to urban sprawl. Single Family homes is not fit for this development. Wanna know why South park is better than Ballantyne? More retail is the answer. 

Edited by Cadi40
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Ballantyne will probably be better than this. They need to build apartments with ground floor retail and office integrated into the building. They have such a good opportunity here and I hope they don't ruin it by adding to urban sprawl. Single Family homes is not fit for this development. Wanna know why South park is better than Ballantyne? More retail is the answer. 

I am not sure this makes sense.  Regarding South Park, the mall area is surrounded by single family homes, which actually help the retail in the mall area thrive. Density in the form of apartments, etc. came well after the single family homes.  Regarding Ballantyne, the initial master plan for Ballantyne had very little retail or apartments.  It was largely office park, so I don't buy the River District being lesser than Ballantyne.  They will be different.  

Also, you mentioned we don't need more urban sprawl.  The river district is the opposite of urban sprawl in that it is a master planned development within 6 miles of Uptown.   In my mind, urban sprawl occurs when when growth spreads away from center city without a master plan.

I say that to say, give them a chance.  If executed well, I think it will have a nice feel.

24 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The one thing is they don't own much of any riverfront or lakefront property as it is privately owned. I think there is one or two small public access areas but most of the property does not touch the lake/river.

I was disappointed by this too.  I was hoping for some waterfront restaurants/entertainment.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I am not sure this makes sense.  Regarding South Park, the mall area is surrounded by single family homes, which actually help the retail in the mall area thrive. Density in the form of apartments, etc. came well after the single family homes.  Regarding Ballantyne, the initial master plan for Ballantyne had very little retail or apartments.  It was largely office park, so I don't buy the River District being lesser than Ballantyne.  They will be different.  

Also, you mentioned we don't need more urban sprawl.  The river district is the opposite of urban sprawl in that it is a master planned development within 6 miles of Uptown.   In my mind, urban sprawl occurs when when growth spreads away from center city without a master plan.

I say that to say, give them a chance.  If executed well, I think it will have a nice feel.

I was disappointed by this too.  I was hoping for some waterfront restaurants/entertainment.

I was regarding the amount of office space in the River District and the lack of Retail, In addition, I don't think single family homes belong in this development as opposed to Apartments. I think this development needs to consist more of Waterfront shopping and dining that many other river / water front cities have. 

I have to say this masterplan is really underwhelming and disappointing.  I'm not sure why it will be called "The River District" if urban public center has no access to the river. The places closest to the river are the same cul-de-sac cookie-cutter neighborhoods that can be found throughout suburbia.  I feel like this is going to be a major missed opportunity.