The River District

cltbwimob

4 hours ago, Michael NDL said:

In Jan of 2021, The River District website said that "construction begins;" we're now in Jan 2022.  Have there been no new developments worth reporting?  Even the expansion of roads, new roads...information regarding this project is scant.

This has undoubtedly been heavily impacted by the pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised if only the retail and residential are built in the near future. 

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

They have been working on mostly infrastructure work in the past year but this year some residential should go vertical.  It is a big project and the infrastructure undoubtedly has been slowed by the pandemic and shortages. 

Where can I get more info on this project and some of the residential updates? My wife and I were interested in possibly moving out there but I haven't heard anything in a long time related to homes being built/reservations opening.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Force Sleeps said:

Where can I get more info on this project and some of the residential updates? My wife and I were interested in possibly moving out there but I haven't heard anything in a long time related to homes being built/reservations opening.

https://www.theriverdistrict.com/

https://www.theriverdistrict.com/news/

Edited by JBS
  • Like 1

Are they building a new high school for the River District or will it go to West Meck High? West Meck may weigh on the home values of the SFH and townhome portions as their are limited private schools in that area. The nearby Vineyards at Lake Wylie development allows you to scoop up a brand new 3,000+ square foot houses for less than $500,000. Typically in suburban locations, prices are heavily influenced by schools moreso than intown locations where proximity offsets schools (making suburbs like Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Marvin, Weddington, South CLT, Cornelius, Cox Mill, Harrisburg, et... relatively expensive for what they are). Even for people without kids like empty nesters, they'll keep an eye on schools for resale in a suburban location like this.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Are they building a new high school for the River District or will it go to West Meck High? West Meck may weigh on the home values of the SFH and townhome portions as their are limited private schools in that area. The nearby Vineyards at Lake Wylie development allows you to scoop up a brand new 3,000+ square foot houses for less than $500,000. Typically in suburban locations, prices are heavily influenced by schools moreso than intown locations where proximity offsets schools (making suburbs like Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Marvin, Weddington, South CLT, Cornelius, Cox Mill, Harrisburg, et... relatively expensive for what they are). Even for people without kids like empty nesters, they'll keep an eye on schools for resale in a suburban location like this.

I had heard rumors that Harris was able to get a tacit promise that  the River District would be pencilled into the (already very crowded) Steel Creek area / Olympic HS.  

Must be good to be well connected.

47 minutes ago, kermit said:

I had heard rumors that Harris was able to get a tacit promise that  the River District would be pencilled into the (already very crowded) Steel Creek area / Olympic HS.  

Must be good to be well connected.

Figures.

The Palisades neighborhood / area is getting a new high school in Fall 2022 so that might relieve Olympic High enough to absorb the new students that will live in the River District.  Olympics' boundaries are shrinking pretty dramatically as a result: https://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/StudentPlacement/PlanningServices/Documents/HS maps 2022-23/Olympic HS.pdf

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dont think they have announced the builders yet for River District other than the apartment developers.  There will be homes of all sizes.   As for the schools there is a new High School coming near the Palisades and this neighborhood would go to Olympic which is much closer than West Meck.  I would not look at any presale of homes until late this year or early 2023.  Builders are releasing homes once they get a model done and many times after they have started a few to be sure of their costs. 

• Like 3

On 1/17/2022 at 2:59 PM, JBS said:

This has undoubtedly been heavily impacted by the pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised if only the retail and residential are built in the near future. 

On 1/17/2022 at 4:19 PM, KJHburg said:

They have been working on mostly infrastructure work in the past year but this year some residential should go vertical.  It is a big project and the infrastructure undoubtedly has been slowed by the pandemic and shortages. 

Thank you both, for your replies

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I dont think they have announced the builders yet for River District other than the apartment developers.  There will be homes of all sizes.   As for the schools there is a new High School coming near the Palisades and this neighborhood would go to Olympic which is much closer than West Meck.  I would not look at any presale of homes until late this year or early 2023.  Builders are releasing homes once they get a model done and many times after they have started a few to be sure of their costs. 

Will there be a sizeable number of luxury properties as well?

6 hours ago, Michael NDL said:

Will there be a sizeable number of luxury properties as well?

this first phase maybe not but they have larger homes closer to the Lake planned.  But all that information is just not out yet but I do know larger lots will be closer to the Lake/river. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this first phase maybe not but they have larger homes closer to the Lake planned.  But all that information is just not out yet but I do know larger lots will be closer to the Lake/river. 

Thank you for your reply.

So I assuming that if I were to drive over there, they'd have some roadways in place by now, or no?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael NDL said:

Thank you for your reply.

So I assuming that if I were to drive over there, they'd have some roadways in place by now, or no?

No not yet you would see utility construction and so forth and maybe some clearing for roads but you should drive over and take some photos and post them

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Do you think you'll get lots of air traffic noise at River District?

actually no.  It is to the west of the parallel runways and the areas with the most noise are immediately north and south of the parallel runways.  I have been out in communities due west of the airport is very little noise and this is in Meck county. 

• Like 3

Not actually in the River District but adjacent to the Catawba River.

A multifamily developer has acquired a Charlotte site near the Catawba River for a new apartment project.

Last month, Waypoint Residential purchased 20 acres off Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road and Garron Point Drive for $5.25 million, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. The developer plans to build a 240-unit apartment complex on the property with a groundbreaking expected by the end of the year.

Waypoint hopes to deliver the first units at the complex in the fourth quarter of 2023 with full delivery planned for the second quarter of 2024. The units will average 896 square feet. Waypoint bought the site from Charlotte-based US Developments; the sale closed on March 22.

“This project represents a prime opportunity to expand our footprint in one of the fastest-growing markets in the Southeast,” Waypoint CEO Scott Lawlor said. “Given the convenient access it provides to retail hubs, as well as premier green spaces and water access, this property will appeal to the growing pool of renters in the submarket that are seeking newly constructed Class A apartment homes.”

The project site is less than two miles from Mount Holly, and Waypoint is not the only developer to target the area for an apartment project. Last month, Penler acquired a site just across the Catawba River in Mount Holly for a 314-unit apartment complex and restaurant/brewery.

Waypoint is headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida, and has other regional offices in Atlanta and Dallas, according to its website. The firm's portfolio includes apartments in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas.

“We are excited to get underway on a project that is located in the thriving Mountain Island submarket and so close to Mt. Holly,” said Adam V. Robinson, managing director on Waypoint’s development team.

• Like 1