The River District

cltbwimob

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

New video on their website showing the layout better of the first phases. Love the community farm and riverfront park.

https://www.theriverdistrict.com/

Hopefully the homes get high quality hardiboard and not vinyl. The housing styles and architecture looks very similar to the River Walk in Rock Hill.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Crescent had its ceremonial groundbreaking this week.  However site development work has been going on for months and months now.  

Vertical construction will start this year from the Biz Journal:

""Those permits include the first phase of Novel apartments at Westrow, which Kerley said will include around 300 units. Another 124 mixed-income apartments to be developed by Laurel Street Residential and approximately 100 townhomes will fill out the residential portion of the soon-to-be permitted section.

On the commercial side, around 30,000 square feet of office and retail space will join that residential element as the initial pieces of Westrow and The River District, Kerley added.""

obviously this is small part to get it all rolling and this is 10 year buildout or more.

https://www.theriverdistrict.com/

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/03/30/crescent-communities-river-district-groundbreaking.html

and my friend who was out there for the groundbreaking confirmed what I told him you don't hear the airport really as it is to the side of the runways.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, drawscape said:

I'll always find it funny that there is no access to the river from the little town center in the masterplan. Imagine showing up to check out the new River District, and there is no water in sight.

As much as boy seeing a river in the river district sounds funny, be glad they are leaving a ton of land next to the river as park land

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Another problem is that it will NEVER look like the rendering - with all the perfect trees. The angle of the rendering was specifically chosen to mask all the surface parking. In reality, the entire massive site will be clear-cut and regraded. It isn't perfectly flat as the rendering depicts. Unless they're paying a premium for buried retention, the site will have several large detention basins. More generic suburban sprawl.

On a secondary note, this is another example of how a pretty rendering can get our hopes up on this forum. The released rendering looks perfect, but the finished product years later rarely matches. Today's clients will see a rendering and then expect the building to match perfectly. Architects are forced to design to the rendering in many cases. Even the most advanced rendering software isn't perfect, and it's difficult to render certain materials, such as parking deck screening for example. I'm looking at you, 110 East!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Would this be paid specifically out of the tourism and occupancy taxes? 

Not sure.  I think it would come out of that as those taxes have to support tourism related projects.  One thing I noticed about this proposal is that it is where they planned office space and I wonder if they would like to get rid of some of the land as office has slowed down so much.    They have room for 8 M sq ft which is much larger than entire Ballantyne market now. 

• Like 2

More on the River District from a Charlotte Ledger talking with the marketing director of the River District with Crescent.  

""We already have a tremendous amount of interest around how we want the small office to develop and small retail beginnings. Those calls don’t stop. We’ve had probably 10 tours over the past six months with Fortune 500 companies to do large campus opportunities.

[There’s interest from] those who want to be near the airport, who want to have that access to transit. They want to be in an environment that’s high-quality, the next place, the next generational area that’s built around employment and developing talent.

So pedestrian, mixed-use, live-work-play …

It’s the antithesis of the business park. This is an environment where you can leave your office and go get a bite to eat and you don’t have to spend an hour transiting back and forth. You can hop on your bike, you can get to a trail, you can get to the restaurants, you can get to the event centers, you can get to places to shop, eat and live without having to essentially enter into a car and spend 40 minutes commuting back and forth.""

Sounds like they do have a good bit of interest from companies for space there.  The residential will do great I know.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

More on the River District from a Charlotte Ledger talking with the marketing director of the River District with Crescent.  

""We already have a tremendous amount of interest around how we want the small office to develop and small retail beginnings. Those calls don’t stop. We’ve had probably 10 tours over the past six months with Fortune 500 companies to do large campus opportunities.

[There’s interest from] those who want to be near the airport, who want to have that access to transit. They want to be in an environment that’s high-quality, the next place, the next generational area that’s built around employment and developing talent.

So pedestrian, mixed-use, live-work-play …

It’s the antithesis of the business park. This is an environment where you can leave your office and go get a bite to eat and you don’t have to spend an hour transiting back and forth. You can hop on your bike, you can get to a trail, you can get to the restaurants, you can get to the event centers, you can get to places to shop, eat and live without having to essentially enter into a car and spend 40 minutes commuting back and forth.""

Sounds like they do have a good bit of interest from companies for space there.  The residential will do great I know.  

Large campus opportunities brings to mind something like the SAS campus in Cary. Work and play, but maybe not live.                    

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Does anyone know how the scale of this proposal (Tennis) compares to the Complex in Cary?  Town of Cary had invested in Tennis long ago.

this seems heavier on the tennis stadiums with multiple ones of various sizes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A tennis complex would be cool- I used to play quite a bit…but that was in the 1980s at the height of the sport’s popularity.  Do people even play anymore, though?  Isn’t pickleball the thing now?  Is a complex 4x the size of the US open facility justified in any way by the current and forecasted popularity of the sport?  To me, it’s a head scratcher.

15 minutes ago, TheMightyBK said:

A tennis complex would be cool- I used to play quite a bit…but that was in the 1980s at the height of the sport’s popularity.  Do people even play anymore, though?  Isn’t pickleball the thing now?  Is a complex 4x the size of the US open facility justified in any way by the current and forecasted popularity of the sport?  To me, it’s a head scratcher.

It's not 4x the size of the US open facility, It's 4x the size of a facility in Cary.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, TheMightyBK said:

4x Cary, not 4x Queens (where the US Open is played).

• Like 1