The River District

cltbwimob

22 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

I hate this proposal. So single family homes on and closer to the river...blah. So the public will not be able to enjoy the river.

On and near the river needs to be commercial, office and condo. (mixed use) 3 to maybe 10 story buildings, with a river walk if possible.

I honestly don't think this will even be close to the final plans.  

I think eventually the owners of this cove will all sell and this will become the 'riverfront' that most hope for.  Just imagine 2-3 story buildings lining the cove with a boardwalk around the entire thing.  Toss in a couple of bridges and you have something really special.

Zillow (I know) has those homes pegged at around $750k per.  I just don't see how some developer does not come in and purchase all of them with a massive markup.  The return is there.  May take 20 years but developers are in the long game.  

Screenshot 2016-04-28 09.39.43.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cjd5050 said:

I honestly don't think this will even be close to the final plans.  

I think eventually the owners of this cove will all sell and this will become the 'riverfront' that most hope for.  Just imagine 2-3 story buildings lining the cove with a boardwalk around the entire thing.  Toss in a couple of bridges and you have something really special.

Zillow (I know) has those homes pegged at around $750k per.  I just don't see how some developer does not come in and purchase all of them with a massive markup.  The return is there.  May take 20 years but developers are in the long game.  

Screenshot 2016-04-28 09.39.43.png

I know some people who own a lot on that cove who are young and aren't going anywhere for a long time, and this section of the development is proposed to be one of the lower density portions. It is so difficult to access by road that I don't see it ever being the boardwalk you envision, while the one more southern waterfront portion of the plan (near the rectangle chunk) could be. The neighborhood rumor is that the one waterfront portion in the map above will be built as a small marina and clubhouse of sorts, which IMO is a much more reasonable use.

58 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

I know some people who own a lot on that cove who are young and aren't going anywhere for a long time, and this section of the development is proposed to be one of the lower density portions. It is so difficult to access by road that I don't see it ever being the boardwalk you envision, while the one more southern waterfront portion of the plan (near the rectangle chunk) could be. The neighborhood rumor is that the one waterfront portion in the map above will be built as a small marina and clubhouse of sorts, which IMO is a much more reasonable use.

Interesting and sad.  

Are they happy with the project?  Everyone has their own reasons but I am not sure I could deal with construction for 20 years.  I would take the money and run to another waterfront property.  But to each there own.

Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Interesting and sad.  

Are they happy with the project?  Everyone has their own reasons but I am not sure I could deal with construction for 20 years.  I would take the money and run to another waterfront property.  But to each there own.

Thanks for the info.

They are cautious but relatively ok with the plan. It isn't going to disrupt their immediate area too much in the short term and in the long term, when maybe they are finally ready to move on, their property values will be way up. We're talking about a well to do young couple who just moved into their absolute dream home, so yeah they are going to be hard to buy out (there has been no attempt to do so). 

What they've been told is that the area right across Sadler, making up most of that peninsula, will be lower density housing (maaaybe a few townhomes closer to the road at the bottom of that map section and at the inner bit of the cove) but a lot will be just greenway and hiking trails. There is a lot of surprisingly steep terrain over there that would be very difficult to build on, and even most of the waterfront lots are pretty steep.

I think something like the waterfront component you are hoping for will happen farther south, just not in this cove. 

How does school funding work with mass developments like this? Would CMS have to build a school to absorb the students or does the developer build the school as a condition for the zoning changes? I wonder if this development would justify a new high school in that area. West Mecklenburg High currently serves most of the land zoned for SFH... 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:58 PM, CLT2014 said:

How does school funding work with mass developments like this? Would CMS have to build a school to absorb the students or does the developer build the school as a condition for the zoning changes? I wonder if this development would justify a new high school in that area. West Mecklenburg High currently serves most of the land zoned for SFH... 

CMS would build the schools.  In a few cases CMS has worked with developers to put in infrastructure for schools, but I don't know of them ever requiring that or for the developer to build or pay for building schools.  Typically school buildings are paid for by a bond leveraged off the increased tax revenues. 

On 4/28/2016 at 1:44 PM, nonillogical said:

I think something like the waterfront component you are hoping for will happen farther south, just not in this cove. 

Thanks for the info and I hope so.  For the amount of waterfront the region has there is simply not enough places to enjoy the water (dinner/drinks) if you don't live on the water.  

On 4/28/2016 at 1:58 PM, CLT2014 said:

Not sure why a developer would be responsible for building a school.  The region is expected to double in population in the next 20 years or so.  Schools are going to be needed regardless of where developers build.  I would assume a new HS at the least.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, drawscape said:

That seems to be a weird place to place the town core. Any reason it's a good idea to make it so far from the river and directly adjacent to land they don't own?

Well, environmental activists and homeowners along the river would probably be furious if they build this right on the river.

12 hours ago, drawscape said:

That seems to be a weird place to place the town core. Any reason it's a good idea to make it so far from the river and directly adjacent to land they don't own?

They've located the town core to be safely outside the long-term FEMA flood plains. 

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

They've located the town core to be safely outside the long-term FEMA flood plains. 

But I remember in the original news report when they said there would be office buildings next to the river. Was that report just too early to take anything from, before they confirmed where they could safely build?

2 hours ago, drawscape said:

But I remember in the original news report when they said there would be office buildings next to the river. Was that report just too early to take anything from, before they confirmed where they could safely build?

Ahhh... Memory....  There was no mention of office buildings immediately next to the river. 

Which to get completely off topic illustrates a great point about memory.  Memory is highly in accurate...  Mostly because it is the brain lying to itself.  the simple (yet inaccurate, but it's the best way I've found to explain it) way memory works is our brains remember bits and pieces of events, it then creates a narrative around those bits and pieces.  Basically you remembered "Offices" and "River", and due to your own biases your brain Conflated the ideas.  The really cool (scary?) thing is if you know what you are doing you can add and remove bits and pieces while the brain is constructing the narrative and change the memory. 

1 hour ago, DEnd said:

Ahhh... Memory....  There was no mention of office buildings immediately next to the river. 

Which to get completely off topic illustrates a great point about memory.  Memory is highly in accurate...  Mostly because it is the brain lying to itself.  the simple (yet inaccurate, but it's the best way I've found to explain it) way memory works is our brains remember bits and pieces of events, it then creates a narrative around those bits and pieces.  Basically you remembered "Offices" and "River", and due to your own biases your brain Conflated the ideas.  The really cool (scary?) thing is if you know what you are doing you can add and remove bits and pieces while the brain is constructing the narrative and change the memory. 

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/plans-unveiled-for-massive-residential-retail-development-in-west-charlotte/187194353 This is the news story I am referencing from March. At the 1 minute mark in the video she says "water front office space" together, but the bullet points on the screen separate "water front" and "office space" so I guess they are not to be mixed? But I wouldn't say I'm too off in remembering...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEnd said:

One of the weirdest posts I've ever read on this site...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, drawscape said:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/plans-unveiled-for-massive-residential-retail-development-in-west-charlotte/187194353 This is the news story I am referencing from March. At the 1 minute mark in the video she says "water front office space" together, but the bullet points on the screen separate "water front" and "office space" so I guess they are not to be mixed? But I wouldn't say I'm too off in remembering...

Watched the video.  I would take away what you did.  

8 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Watched the video.  I would take away what you did.  

Jeez, I missed that the first and second time I watched that video.  But then again I do have ADD so I may have been distracted by the pretty pictures.  Given her inflection and timing I would have too...   

7 hours ago, drawscape said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who lets the biases in their brain conflate ideas to construct a narrative....

We all do it.  It is how consciousness works.  It's part of why two people can watch the same movie and come out with two different conclusions.  Things we've learned and experienced go into shaping our perceptions.  This affects not just how we perceive things but also how we remember them. 

9 hours ago, R.Talbott said:

One of the weirdest posts I've ever read on this site...

Memory and Consciousness are weird. 

• 4 months later...

With the projected population growth of this region, I would rather have 1300 acres planned out rather than piecemeal development. This site was going to be developed one way or another it is just too close to highway, the airport and to uptown. Sprawl would be in my opinion a huge project like this on farmland in one of the outer counties. Not everyone wants to live close in to uptown and certainly businesses don't feel that way either. Mecklenburg county is rapidly running out of space to build on I would rather seen very intensive development like this done there not in the hinterlands. Plus we have to have options for businesses and homes and apartments to be built in the suburbs not across state lines for example. 

• Like 3

This is absolutely sprawl, and we are subsidizing it. Dixie-Berryhill was the last intact forestland of the county and that will be destroyed, 4,000 acres. It will be useless green-space soon.

“This is the wave of the future,” said Claire Fallon, who said the mixed-use development will function as a “satellite city” on Charlotte’s edge. “You cannot shove anything more into Charlotte.”

Our city's future is not this. What's next, wipe out Latta Plantation?

Edited by mazman34340

10 hours ago, mazman34340 said:

This is absolutely sprawl, and we are subsidizing it. Dixie-Berryhill was the last intact forestland of the county and that will be destroyed, 4,000 acres. It will be useless green-space soon.

“This is the wave of the future,” said Claire Fallon, who said the mixed-use development will function as a “satellite city” on Charlotte’s edge. “You cannot shove anything more into Charlotte.”

Our city's future is not this. What's next, wipe out Latta Plantation?

I'm 100% with you here.  I don't like anything about this project.  I also don't trust Charlotte to do this well.  I've been burned enough by pretty pictures and "plans" that never come to fruition.  I fully expect this project to be unveiled with high hopes that will ultimately result in something lack luster, composed of poor quality architecture, sprawly as hell and basically an extension of that stupid outlet mall and neighborhood design directly south of it on 485.  This project will be wedged between a steam plant and a major airport.  I'm having a hard time envisioning this being what we want it will be.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1