300 South Tryon and Kimpton Hotel

Miesian Corners

15 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

So you're in the same boat as me. I thought you were talking somewhere in the 10-20k range. lol

I know the struggle. At 6k it'd be at least double mine, too.

I guess I wasn't taking into account the material. It's probably considerably more heavy duty than what I was thinking.

I do Large Format Media Advertising for a living, and I can tell ya, most flatbed and digital printers can only print so wide. a 18 foot tall sign would have to likely be printed in 5-8 pieces and stitched together, not to mention it'd probably weigh a couple hundred pounds. 

@ricky_davis_fan_21 Well my knowledge came from doing an extensive case study on essentially that field but obviously you're the expert on the topic so I'll take your word for it.

But basically, they spent thousands on something that looks cheap and tacky. But it's extremely visible and free advertising space visible to tens of thousand daily and we're even talking about it here. So, I guess it's certainly doing its job.

17 hours ago, jednc said:

You are NOT the only one. I can't believe this is an ongoing conversation.

Yup, You are not the only one worried about this. Some people worry about the most petty stuff. Remove the Ugly sign! If you are bothered by it don't look up at it lol. It is temporary and will be gone. . IMO, if you have time to worry about stuff like this, you have too much time on your hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, norm21499 said:

Yup, You are not the only one worried about this. Some people worry about the most petty stuff. Remove the Ugly sign! If you are bothered by it don't look up at it lol. It is temporary and will be gone. . IMO, if you have time to worry about stuff like this, you have too much time on your hands.

Amen

• Like 1

On 10/1/2016 at 5:47 PM, alb1no panther said:

I'm agnostic on the issue.  But I think it's a worthy subject for discussion on a message board.  If other members have concerns about something, isn't it our collective effort here to address those concerns?  Every post above is a thinly veiled insult.  Sure, it's a trivial thing to discuss, but discussion is what this board is about.  And more to the point, similar discussions have been had in the past regarding other projects.

I am not trying to be insulting, but I have had personal experience with people complaining about what they feel is an eye sore. My sister was crossing the street in June and was hit by a car and almost died. She lost her right arm and is unable to walk as of right now. A wheel chair ramp had to be installed in the front of my mother's house. It is a fairly nice one, was hand built from scratch using wood. Of course it doesn't match the house. A couple of my mother's neighbors complained about the ramp. It doesn't match the house, it should have gone in the back yard, etc etc. I apologize for going way off topic.

On 10/1/2016 at 5:47 PM, alb1no panther said:

I'm agnostic on the issue.  But I think it's a worthy subject for discussion on a message board.  If other members have concerns about something, isn't it our collective effort here to address those concerns?  Every post above is a thinly veiled insult.  Sure, it's a trivial thing to discuss, but discussion is what this board is about.  And more to the point, similar discussions have been had in the past regarding other projects.

My earlier comment wasn't meant as an insult at all. It's a genuine expression that I'm surprised people are concerned about the sign. If people are concerned enough that they feel the need to discuss it then I certainly don't have a problem with that. I guess for me I just don't get why it matters much at all.

Edited by jednc
  • Like 2

Construction update on the hotel and office buildings. Both topped out. Hotel crane will be removed  next month. Exterior glass on office tower to 16 and on the hotel to 17th floor. Office elevator install is underway, Interior framing of hotel rooms underway and steel frame of rooftop bar is almost done. Source Spectrum Properties/ 

• Like 3

On 10/18/2016 at 4:41 PM, navigator319 said:

Sail coming along.  Can't wait for the legit side of it to begin being constructed.  Taken from my couch with the new zoom on iPhone 7+ :tw_glasses:

Also I count 26 real floors using the elevator plywood numbers.  Their last 'door' is numbered 22 then +4.  Did this happen to grow at the last minute?

sail.png

No. It is still the planned number of floors. The building "doesn't have a 13th floor" now.