300 South Tryon and Kimpton Hotel

Miesian Corners

^ that looks like complete and utter poo imo.  RJ Reynolds is such an awesome structure, so at least they kept a lot of the original.  But the crap they added is horrible considering the original materials.  If Ivey's were getting this treatment, we'd be protesting.  That said, all that stuff I hate about it would look nice in the NEW hotel they are building here; otherwise that furniture etc is ill-suited for such an awesome building like RJR.

Note:  I grew up in W-S and graduated from RJR high school.

On 4/29/2016 at 10:52 AM, alb1no panther said:

^ that looks like complete and utter poo imo.  RJ Reynolds is such an awesome structure, so at least they kept a lot of the original.  But the crap they added is horrible considering the original materials.  If Ivey's were getting this treatment, we'd be protesting.  That said, all that stuff I hate about it would look nice in the NEW hotel they are building here; otherwise that furniture etc is ill-suited for such an awesome building like RJR.

Note:  I grew up in W-S and graduated from RJR high school.

Every Kimpton in an old building does that.  In SF, Salt Lake City, Alexandria...it works.

11 minutes ago, akuczero said:

300 S. Tryon Office portion looking up through the shear core (future elevator shafts)

When the DEC was being built, a steel bolt was accidentally kicked off an upper floor into an elevator shaft. Someone leaning into the shaft down below was struck on his hardhat. He was instantly killed. If you think that sounds awful you should sit through safety harness training. Construction sites are frelling dangerous. 

Also, nice photo.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

When the DEC was being built, a steel bolt was accidentally kicked off an upper floor into an elevator shaft. Someone leaning into the shaft down below was struck on his hardhat. He was instantly killed. If you think that sounds awful you should sit through safety harness training. Construction sites are frelling dangerous. 

Also, nice photo.

I was working there at the time that tragic accident happened. It was sad because the worker was really young in his 20s I believe. The man had a bright future ahead of him but it was taken away just like that. We were doing most of the electrical work, pipe installation, etc. in about the first 10 floors and basement of the DEC. Hard to believe it's been 7 years ago.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 2

Just now, alb1no panther said:

What I'm looking at shows an ~3ft opening, enough for a regular door, not elevators.  Am I missing something painfully obvious?

You are looking at a doorway into an elevator lobby. There will probably be 6-8 elevators in this space I'd imagine. I'll pull up the drawings.

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You are looking at a doorway into an elevator lobby. There will probably be 6-8 elevators in this space I'd imagine. I'll pull up the drawings.

Yeah, guess I'd just have to see the plans.  I'm no architect; tough to see what I'm looking at.

11 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Yeah, guess I'd just have to see the plans.  I'm no architect; tough to see what I'm looking at.

You'd be amazed how big the core is, but it hold a LOT of stuff. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 1.14.36 PM.png

On 4/28/2016 at 10:56 AM, alb1no panther said:

I just noticed that beige strip.  I imagine that is a bike path?  If so, that's AWESOME that they separated it from the roadway as opposed to a narrow lane with a white line.

Nitpicking here:  But the design would be much more complete IMO if there were double facing light poles hitting the pedestrian path and the bike path.

Supposedly it's a regular sidewalk for people who like to walk in a straight line. I'm skeptical that it get's built because their detailed plans (from Accela) don't show it. Either way, there won't be any separated bike facility there. The road is going to be too narrow, and the city lost its chance to get something like that during the original design process years ago.

5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Supposedly it's a regular sidewalk for people who like to walk in a straight line. I'm skeptical that it get's built because their detailed plans (from Accela) don't show it. Either way, there won't be any separated bike facility there. The road is going to be too narrow, and the city lost its chance to get something like that during the original design process years ago.

Design processes can be fluid.  I don't think it would be much of a design change to simply install a 3ft bike lane.  Large sidewalks are great, but a dedicated bike lane would be better.