300 South Tryon and Kimpton Hotel

Miesian Corners

16 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

It appears that the core has stopped moving upwards, and it looks like they don't plan on moving it up any time soon- I say this because the construction equipment has been removed partially from the core. What's going on?

Going to take a big giant swing at this question and it could be very wrong. Generally in buildings over 12-15 floors they have different banks of elevators for serving different segments of floors. It looks like the tryon facing 1/4 of the core (elevator shaft) might be complete, and the other 3/4 might continue with the other parts of the core serving the rest of the building. Again, could be way off. 

22 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

It appears that the core has stopped moving upwards, and it looks like they don't plan on moving it up any time soon- I say this because the construction equipment has been removed partially from the core. What's going on?

The rest of the steel needs to catch up so they can raise the crane a lot and anchor to the structure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

The rest of the steel needs to catch up so they can raise the crane a lot and anchor to the structure. 

I think its both of us. 

Look at WTC 3. At one point they stepped the core in thinner to accommodate less elevators

"3 holes wide"

tumblr_np0l84aIWT1rygnxoo1_500.jpg

reduced to "two holes wide" for lack of technical term

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Piedmont767 said:

Here is additional evidence supporting my interpretation. I guess time will tell.

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 3.47.32 PM.png

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Here is additional evidence supporting my interpretation. I guess time will tell.

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 3.47.32 PM.png

This is correct.  One bank of elevators ends at level 14 so the shear core will be smaller for the remainder of the building.

You know, I think a developer erecting a shaft such as this should at least have the common decency to cover it up so as to prevent the explosion of childish jokes that will follow if left uncovered.  The jokes go everywhere when the shaft isn't covered. 

Edit: I can't believe I just typed this post. I am 32 going on 12.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 4

Just now, EngineerCLT said:

This is correct.  One bank of elevators ends at level 14 so the shear core will be smaller for the remainder of the building.

YESSSSS!!!! Guess 18 years of visiting construction sites, and 8 years watching construction webcams have lead to some knowledge. Also, I think you are going to be a valuable poster going forward, look forward to hearing more from you.

19 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

YESSSSS!!!! Guess 18 years of visiting construction sites, and 8 years watching construction webcams have lead to some knowledge. Also, I think you are going to be a valuable poster going forward, look forward to hearing more from you.

I thought the question was why has the core stopped going higher not why is the size of the core shrinking? I understand what you're saying, but I don't get the connection to a halt in upward progress.

23 minutes ago, jednc said:

I thought the question was why has the core stopped going higher not why is the size of the core shrinking? I understand what you're saying, but I don't get the connection to a halt in upward progress.

I was addressing the Original posters concern that there would not be any more progress on the core, because it appeared that material was being removed. I was addressing the reason why the material was being removed. As far as the reason it is not going further, its because they need to catch up with steel so that that the crane can be raised. They can't go any higher with the core because its too close to the crane. The Crane will be raised once the steel catches up and it can be anchored safely to the structure. This will occur in early June.

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I was addressing the Original posters concern that there would not be any more progress on the core, because it appeared that material was being removed. I was addressing the reason why the material was being removed. As far as the reason it is not going further, its because they need to catch up with steel so that that the crane can be raised. They can't go any higher with the core because its too close to the crane. The Crane will be raised once the steel catches up and it can be anchored safely to the structure. This will occur in early June.

Makes sense. I haven't noticed the positioning of the crane relative to the core to be honest, but I think I understand the idea. Crane needs to be raised when steel skeleton catches up to core. Once crane is raised, core will continue to grow in height but at a reduced area.