300 South Tryon and Kimpton Hotel

Miesian Corners

16 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I actually feel that both buildings are shorter in that image than they will be when finished.  The hotel is the same size as 230 S. Tryon, when it should be twice the height?  Maybe I am wrong with that assertion. 

Yea, height is a little off. 300 S Tryon will be like 4 feet taller than the tip of the spire on 121 W Trade St

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Anyone know when glass should start going in?

I walk by it everyday, and no glass has been brought in yet that I can tell.  And honestly, looking inside at the ground floor, it's so massive I don't think glass will be brought in anytime soon.  I'm assuming a sub will handle the exterior glass work?  

(From an accounting perspective, expenses of install [e.g., employee wages, cost of glass, etc] can be expensed, but damage to the glass would not be written off, and the company takes a straight up L on it.  Don't know if that influences anything; i.e., waiting until it's "safe" to bring in millions of dollars of glass.  Just a comment.)

IMG_0053.JPG

Edited by alb1no panther
  • Like 1

You'll see the "sticks" of the curtain wall go up first, and they'll get maybe 6-7 floors up before they start putting the sticks. Glass will usually follow a few floors later.

The curtain wall subcontractor will have already factored in some loss of product. In order to maintain schedule - and the reality of shipping/moving/handling/installing - they're going to loose many panes of glazing. 

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

You'll see the "sticks" of the curtain wall go up first, and they'll get maybe 6-7 floors up before they start putting the sticks. Glass will usually follow a few floors later.

The curtain wall subcontractor will have already factored in some loss of product. In order to maintain schedule - and the reality of shipping/moving/handling/installing - they're going to loose many panes of glazing. 

"sticks" = IMG_0073.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Looks like they finally raised the crane for the office tower..

300 south.png

Whoops, yeah I meant to post an update on that. So the steel has gotten to an "anchor" point for the tower crane to raise. I can't recall my conversation completely but I believe that the crane will raise 2 more times and from this angle should a little higher than Plaza. 

The other part of the delay was prepping the core to continue on now that it will be "shrunk" and apparently thats a pain in the ____. In other news, holy crap the hotel is flying up.

It should be fairly easy to assume this, but just for clarification -- is the hotel expected to be open before the office portion is complete?  With the rate that it is rising, it seems like it would be open a least a month or so before the office is complete.  

25 minutes ago, Rufus said:

It should be fairly easy to assume this, but just for clarification -- is the hotel expected to be open before the office portion is complete?  With the rate that it is rising, it seems like it would be open a least a month or so before the office is complete.  

I've read mixed reports.  Office Spring 17, Hotel Fall 17.  That doesn't make much sense to me, but the office tower has people knocking down the door, whereas Kimpton may still be doing some leg work/back office stuff.  Someone else may be better-suited to answer.  I think I'm generally right, though.

Yeah hotel will lag a few months behind the office for a variety of reasons. One being babson needs to move in immediately where as kimpton isn't in a monster rush and will take much longer to upfit the building itself. Babson will be adding their own furniture and stuff where kimpton does that on their own and has to do the whole building 

6 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Nice, very new. They're adding stuff on the site all the time.

ARG, PET... PEEVE... How hard is it to render into the city its going in?

Screen_Shot_2016-06-06_at_6.17.17_PM.png