300 South Tryon and Kimpton Hotel

Miesian Corners

3 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

Wait, surely the orientation of 300ST is all wrong in that video? 

Screen_Shot_2016-06-06_at_6.22.52_PM.png

This gives us a nice view of the top at least. :-)

But yea, they put it in a, from what i can tell, fake skyline. I pride myself on my ability to identify skylines. 

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I'm not really getting the top. I can't quite figure out what they're going for - maybe an assymetrical version of 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta?

I'm calling it a sail. I like that the slope connects to the Tryon Facing Facade, I just wish it angled back down. . The Top kind of has a disconnect on the Bearden facing side, but the southwest side of the building slopes up and pays homage to the north east side. Its not an A+ Building but the the sides play of each other pretty nicely imho. Basically its a good way to fancy up a box into a B/B- design.

Here I drew a diagram so you can see how I break it down architecturally. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.31.32 AM.png

Edited by Guest

300 South Tryon is officially visible from inside Brevard Court.  It's going to feel nice and dense in there once that sucker is topped out.  Also, non 300 related, the orchestra played in Romare Bearden last night and the music boomed all the way up through Latta.  You could sit in front of Hooligans or Belfast with you pint and just get a surround sound symphony.  It was lovely.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, urbanite24 said:

@Onthedecks Do you know why they aren't continuing to build the entire elevator shaft? Looks like on the cam that they stopped continuing upwards with a part of it

I explained this a page or two back. 

Different elevator banks serve different parts of the building. 

The Elevator bank, enclosed within the Shear Core, towards the Tryon Section, serves the bottom 13 floors. It is not longer needed past this point so the Shear Core steps in one elevator bank. It takes a little bit to cap off that section of the Shear Core, which is why it is taking a little while.

23 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I explained this a page or two back. 

Different elevator banks serve different parts of the building. 

The Elevator bank, enclosed within the Shear Core, towards the Tryon Section, serves the bottom 13 floors. It is not longer needed past this point so the Shear Core steps in one elevator bank. It takes a little bit to cap off that section of the Shear Core, which is why it is taking a little while.

Edited by Onthedecks

5 minutes ago, Onthedecks said:

Look at that u know more about the job than I do and I'm on it every day! :ph34r:

I grew up watching construction, and on construction sites. Been going on sites with my dad since I was 10. 

Just now, Niner National said:

yeah, I really wish this one was >600 feet to fill in the gap in the skyline between BoA and DEC.

I actually like the gap. It's good to have skyline anchors. And this is a great density project. But the sail on top is so cool I wish the building was a tad higher to stick out more. 

• Like 1