300 South Tryon and Kimpton Hotel

Miesian Corners

17 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

No, one thing I noticed when looking at the latest pictures of 300 ST and Kimpton is that, aesthetically, they are just going to be more glass curtains -- something that Uptown has way too much of IMO.  400 ST is not individually attractive, but it is unique in our skyline.  Just because something isn't en-vogue anymore, doesn't mean you need to cover it up.  More unique buildings are what our skyline needs, not just another glass box.  The reflections this tower makes are my favorite part of this building.  When the sun hits it right, gold streaks of light shine along our streets. It's almost an homage to the gold mines of Uptown's past.  That's something incredibly unique for Charlotte to appreciate.  I love it and I hope the tower never changes.

That said, I will admit the street level of this tower is in need of updating, but that's strictly from a practicality and functionality standpoint.

I am also internally protesting the re-cladding of UNCC's dorm towers.  But at least they have an "image" to uphold, so I can sorta excuse it.  Recladding any non-dilapidated building in uptown would be a crime.  But that's just this guy's opinion.

As for 300 ST, I don't mind it blending in as another glass box as it has a unique crown, but I wish there was more texture to the tower (like the old, pre-recession rendering had.)

I agree in regards to the street level, but If possible, a classy exterior update would would well.  Figuring out a way to incorporate a glass "crown" and possibly a minimalistic change to the windows etc.  Maybe figuring out a way to incorporate a viewing terrace at the top. 

No, one thing I noticed when looking at the latest pictures of 300 ST and Kimpton is that, aesthetically, they are just going to be more glass curtains -- something that Uptown has way too much of IMO.  400 ST is not individually attractive, but it is unique in our skyline.  Just because something isn't en-vogue anymore, doesn't mean you need to cover it up.  More unique buildings are what our skyline needs, not just another glass box.  The reflections this tower makes are my favorite part of this building.  When the sun hits it right, gold streaks of light shine along our streets. It's almost an homage to the gold mines of Uptown's past.  That's something incredibly unique for Charlotte to appreciate.  I love it and I hope the tower never changes.

That said, I will admit the street level of this tower is in need of updating, but that's strictly from a practicality and functionality standpoint.

I am also internally protesting the re-cladding of UNCC's dorm towers.  But at least they have an "image" to uphold, so I can sorta excuse it.  Recladding any non-dilapidated building in uptown would be a crime.  But that's just this guy's opinion.

As for 300 ST, I don't mind it blending in as another glass box as it has a unique crown, but I wish there was more texture to the tower (like the old, pre-recession rendering had.)

I agree. I work in 400 ST. I am happy with the latest round of interior renovations, although the new floor is a death trap when wet.

The exterior styling is unique to its time. I hope it never changes. Covering the thing up with some cladding would be a sin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The main tenant for 300S Tryon, Babson Capital, completed their merger today with three other asset management groups under MassMutual to become Barings. The Babson name has been sunset. The combined firm has $275B in assets under management and is headquartered in Charlotte with 41 offices around the globe. This is a very prestigious win in the world of finance to have HQ'd in our city and is now an even bigger firm than when it was just Babson moving here.

Check out their new webpage: A beautiful pic of the Charlotte skyline is front and center as the background for their homepage: http://www.barings.com/

Offices in 17 countries
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina with a long-standing, established presence in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific

That puts them in the top 50.  Pretty awesome to have that here in Charlotte.

41 minutes ago, abttown said:

The office tower "sail" is definitely starting to take shape now.  The tower crane is getting one more height boost, right?

Capture.JPG

actually this isn't the sail yet. still got a couple floors of office 

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 12.48.20 PM.png

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Office is topped out, at least on the Church St. facing side. NOW its time for the sail. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 2.25.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 2.24.49 PM.png

Hate to burst the bubble, but I talked to the project manager. They are raising the last beam of steel for occupyable floors on Thursday, then, he said, the work's focus will shift inside. He insinuated that we will not see the sail built at the speed as the rest of the tower. That said, it should still go up pretty fast. 

2 hours ago, navigator319 said:

The giant 'now leasing' sign is back.  This time on the park side of the building.  For buildings like this that really generates leads?

You have almost a million square feet of office space that is available between just Portman, 300 South Tryon, and 300 South Brevard that don't have a tenant lined up. That's in addition to the space in current buildings (that is more tight). Just three buildings are about the square footage equivalent to One Wells Fargo Center being completely empty. It will be interesting to see if there is enough interest in organic expansion by current Uptown employers to take on additional space. This square footage would accommodate ~3,000 new employees being added Uptown. 

I think the sign might indicate they are starting to target smaller employers that might not be thinking about moving but see the sign and think about giving a call to see if they can move from their current office Uptown to this building. Like a small law firm or accounting firm that might have just a suite Uptown.

For some of Uptown's biggest employers... Duke Energy has 33 job postings in Charlotte, Bank of America has around ~300, Well Fargo has around ~300. So these guys may shuffle space and vacate other buildings, but they don't really need more space. Lord knows BAC is sitting on WAY more square footage than they actually need and if they ever dump more of it, we'd see a lot of floors added to the market. Most of these big employers only are back filling an existing position that were vacated due to hiring freezes. So as far as organic job growth, we're looking at smaller companies that may actually call a phone number on a lease sign like that.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2016 at 9:19 AM, Jayvee said:

I made a compelling argument and put pressure on them to take it down. Nice to see they listened to reason. 

Hmmm

3 hours ago, navigator319 said:

The giant 'now leasing' sign is back.  This time on the park side of the building.  For buildings like this that really generates leads?

Oh the hubris...