300 South Tryon and Kimpton Hotel

Miesian Corners

7 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Really? I would have thought that it would cost a lot less than that. Printing billboard posters usually only go for a few hundred and something of that size would probably go for like 3,000. How big do you think it is, 25x100?

It looks like 18 x 72, at 5 dollars a square foot. So about 6480 plus tax. There might be extra labor involved for a sign that size. so probably around 7,250 after tax and extra labor.

Well the banner must be working I am joking. In a full page ad in the Charlotte Business Journal  they are advertising 300,000 sq ft available. That is way down from the last time they ran an ad and said 372,000 sq ft. That means the tower is at least 50% pre leased and so far the only announced tenant is Babson/Barings with 200,000 sq ft but I suspect they are taking more space. Anyway this tower is approx. 50% leased which is good  especially if we all want to see another office tower or two started. 

• Like 2

Sometimes Uptown just seems like a vertical Ballantyne... "oh my gosh Lucy, have you seen the paint that the Smith's have put on their shutters!? It is hideous. We should start a letter writing campaign to the HOA and quietly shame them and not invite them to Sunday tea at the Ballantyne Hotel."

34 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Sometimes Uptown just seems like a vertical Ballantyne... "oh my gosh Lucy, have you seen the paint that the Smith's have put on their shutters!? It is hideous. We should start a letter writing campaign to the HOA and quietly shame them and not invite them to Sunday tea at the Ballantyne Hotel."

Point taken.  But the concern here is a bit different--a prominent new fancy building in the largest city in North Carolina shouldn't need "grand opening-style" balloons and appeal.  The business interests that would entertain the space are aware, and such "local" advertising in this way makes the city look unsophisticated.  

Edited by alb1no panther
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Point taken.  But the concern here is a bit different--a prominent new fancy building in the largest city in North Carolina shouldn't need "grand opening-style" balloons and appeal.  The business interests that would entertain the space are aware, and such "local" advertising in this way makes the city look unsophisticated.  

I guess I'm just used to trashy things being from L.A... the JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton in downtown LA are covered in Bud Light and Coca Cola ads. Upscale luxury condos are covered in billboards. LOL. So I guess I'm not phased by a temp banner vs. 24/7 bud light billboards. I think people would flip if the Ritz Carlton in Uptown had this.

6_WalknRideLA-PI-124-225x300.jpg  

or if the Vue Tower looked like this L.A. building:

Image result for sunset vine tower

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I guess I'm just used to trashy things being from L.A... the JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton in downtown LA are covered in Bud Light and Coca Cola ads. LOL. So I guess I'm not phased by a temp banner vs. 24/7 bud light billboards. I think people would flip if the Ritz Carlton in Uptown had this.

6_WalknRideLA-PI-124-225x300.jpg  

or if the Vue Tower looked like this L.A. building:

Image result for sunset vine tower

Not intending to be contentious here, but Charlotte has those adverts, too.  Apples to oranges.

7 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Not intending to be contentious here, but Charlotte has those adverts, too.  Apples to oranges.

When did they start wrapping the buildings Uptown? Which ones are wrapped? I stopped working Uptown 3 months ago so maybe they put something up. I haven't seen any multi-story wrapped billboards outside of EpiCentre's billboards that don't exceed four stories. Overall Uptown has a very classy atmosphere. Signature buildings like Duke, BofA Corp, 1BAC, One Wells, etc... don't have any billboard wrapping (which I like btw). 

Edited by CLT2014

9 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

When did they start wrapping the buildings Uptown? Which ones are wrapped? I stopped working Uptown 3 months ago so maybe they put something up. I haven't seen any multi-story wrapped billboards outside of EpiCentre's billboards that don't exceed four stories. Overall Uptown has a very classy atmosphere. Signature buildings like Duke, BofA Corp, 1BAC, One Wells, etc... don't have any billboard wrapping (which I like btw). 

I meant product adverts, specifically.  And yes most are slapped up around the Epicentre.  There are many more avenues of advertising here than in L.A., I imagine.  Easier to get above the noise here, so no huge Wheaties ad on DEC anytime soon.  But what those adverts are not a Times New Roman, black-white banner with no logo.  The adverts you referred to actually lend sophistication to the city, i.e., wildly popular products advertised on prominent buildings.  This is not that.  This banner is the equivalent of phonebook deliveries.

OK yeah I see your point there, especially with the font. Any word on how leasing activity is going for the other half of this building? Is this a desperate move by the leasing agency to try to appease the investors and owners to say "hey we are doing stuff to try to move this square footage!"

Edited by CLT2014

15 minutes ago, JerseyBoy said:

Was there a similar concern when the Vue had a banner, advertising apartments for rent, hanging from it? Perhaps there was, but I can't seem to recall it.

There was indeed. Was universally hated on here too lol.

32 minutes ago, JerseyBoy said:

Was there a similar concern when the Vue had a banner, advertising apartments for rent, hanging from it? Perhaps there was, but I can't seem to recall it.

Indeed there were.  Although I wasn't a member back then, I lived here and yes many people were irritated by it.  To me, I understand it.  These contracts hold the leasing agents' feet to the fire via incentives and penalties and % (all stuff most of you know, I'm sure).  Not saying that's the sole reason that this banner is up.  But I'd be very surprised if their lawyers were not influencing this decision.  CYA.

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Oh, so it costs twice as much as my car

i need a new car

So you're in the same boat as me. I thought you were talking somewhere in the 10-20k range. lol

I know the struggle. At 6k it'd be at least double mine, too.

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It looks like 18 x 72, at 5 dollars a square foot. So about 6480 plus tax. There might be extra labor involved for a sign that size. so probably around 7,250 after tax and extra labor.

I guess I wasn't taking into account the material. It's probably considerably more heavy duty than what I was thinking.