300 South Tryon and Kimpton Hotel

Miesian Corners

• 2 weeks later...

Merchant and Trade released as the name of the rooftop bar at the Hotel....thoughts? Personally not a fan

Can't believe it's nearly entirely open air. Was kind of shocked to figure that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, CLT_Engineering said:

Merchant and Trade released as the name of the rooftop bar at the Hotel....thoughts? Personally not a fan

Kind of a trendy naming scheme right now, but yeah this one seems particularly meaningless, and not fitting of a slick new rooftop establishment. I'm assuming its a normal bar/restaurant, not a mixed goods or market concept where that name would make actual sense. Its not going to keep me from checking it out though! 

Perhaps the name "Merchant and Trade" is an effort to pay homage to the historical importance of trade to the area.  The hotel does sit on Tryon Street and near Trade Street, two important trade routes of yesteryear.  Or perhaps it was just simply a way to use the word "trade" since it is already the Tryon Park hotel (I.e. Merchant and Trade at Tryon Park hotel), once again probably due to its location relative to the intersection of Trade and Tryon.  Either way, I think it fits nicely, even if it is a bit overly hipster.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2

If it was 8 years ago it would be called RÜF

For those not around in 2008. ATLRVR is referencing "Hôm" which was a three level bar that was the pinnacle of charlotte nightlife in 2008. If you think charlotte nightlife is bad in anyway, this was the best thing 2008 had to offer. It was on 5th.

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

For those not around in 2008. ATLRVR is referencing "Hôm" which was a three level bar that was the pinnacle of charlotte nightlife in 2008. If you think charlotte nightlife is bad in anyway, this was the best thing 2008 had to offer. It was on 5th.

Don't forget Cans!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

WOW, that took me back!

Yes, "Hôm" was it! It is where the current Dandelion Market is.
Those were the times, LMAO! Gotta say one thing, after Hôm was gone, that place had a bad streak of venues coming and dying there, until Dandelion Market...

23 hours ago, Scribe said:

WOW, that took me back!

Yes, "Hôm" was it! It is where the current Dandelion Market is.
Those were the times, LMAO! Gotta say one thing, after Hôm was gone, that place had a bad streak of venues coming and dying there, until Dandelion Market...

wrong. Höm was where roxbury now is.  source: worked there in college 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Crown said:

You made me look at street view.. :tw_grimace:

I guess it has been a while, I just remember that when walking in off 5th street there was seating both to the right and the left, so I guess the had the ground floor space off Tequila house too?

And where Dandelion Market is - it was a Latin club with salsa lessons some nights - its all coming back.

Edited by Scribe

I remember think charlotte had arrived lol. Like it was the most NYC concept in charlotte ever. Now I look back and it was so damn 2008.

7 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Will there be plants / a garden in the mulch planters?

Yes.

I walked down the street today. The whole block isn't open yet... or finished with construction. I'm going to hold my final opinion until it's completely done... but so far... I'm not blown away, but it's not terrible.

• 3 weeks later...

You can walk most of the way from Tryon to church. I'll say that with the 3rd street construction, along with Church being closed across trade, you could envision a nice walkable urban area. Its been very nice. Soon we'll be back to a racetrack unfortunately. I don't get the crappy little bike lane they drew on 3rd??