300 South Tryon and Kimpton Hotel

Miesian Corners

I really don’t think it’s a big deal, growing up in the LA area and now living in Miami, people don’t even think about not wearing proper attire for these sorts of places (my cousin just moved to Miami from Charlotte and I have this same discussion with him and he gets angry at me)... if you don’t like it don’t go, if you do, wear the right clothing, it’s nothing controversial in my opinion. A diverse uptown will have an option for everyone at any given mood they may be in when they want to go out, both casual and formal...

Edited by saamh
  • Like 3

Wow, that was a lot of posts just to feed the troll. Bringing race into the comment immediately made it so. I, for one, believe there should be options; options for those who want casual, and options for those who don’t.

When CEO’s and “higher ups” come into town for business or to scout our city, it’s nice that we have establishments that suit their needs. If we want to encourage these people to move their companies here, we need to have places that cater to their needs. Otherwise we’re going to continue playing second fiddle to cities that meet their personal demands.

Wow, I didn’t think my comment would get this much attention. To clear things up, I am a white male, early twenties, I was wearing high end blue jeans, a collared shirt with a suit jacket, the shoes I wore were black Jordan’s, not the ones made for basketball, but more of the “high top” variety. When I went back I wore the same outfit but with some suede shoes and they didn’t say anything. 

I honestly think my friend is who brought attention to it the first time as he had just gotten off work and was wearing kitchen shoes (though clean and in good repair) and then the doorman saw mine as well. He must have a thing for feet though because he didn’t even seem to notice his deli shirt. 

On a more serious note though, I’m not a fan of the race card, but I do suspect that many establishments use these tactics to keep certain people, specifically blacks and homosexuals out of their establishment. A good example being a black work friend of mine being turned away from Slate one night despite wearing a nearly identical outfit to myself, I believe they used the “athletic shoes” line again. Not accusing M&T of this, but it does happen.

I don’t mind dressing up, it was more an inconvenience than anything, however I do feel the environment does call for a more “dress casual” look, rather than strictly formal, they should go all the way (no jeans, suit jackets required) rather than nit picking on minor things. I’d understand if I had canary yellow basketball shoes on, but black “old school” high tops are not exactly a travesty to fashion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nakers2 said:

On a more serious note though, I’m not a fan of the race card, but I do suspect that many establishments use these tactics to keep certain people, specifically blacks and homosexuals out of their establishment.

This is true. Actually, that Kandy Bar place in the epicenter has been accused of this.

I have worn formal wear to pick up a pizza, though, so I frown upon anyone and everyone who won't suit up when appropriate. There are more than enough places to be casual around town. We can handle a few dress codes.

• Like 1

Honestly this conversation needs to be moved to political or racial relations category.   This is about this new stunning office building and the new Kimpton hotel opens and is doing not what their bar allows people to wear.  

I have traveled around the world and they are dress codes everywhere   I was in Hong Kong Macau last week and they have dress codes there for I was wearing a baseball cap and asked to remove it.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...