601 11th Ave. North (former LifeWay HQ) in Capitol View, 9 stories, 250,000 sq. ft.

markhollin

• dmillsphoto changed the title to LifeWay new HQ, Capitol View, 9 stories, 250,000 sq. ft.
11 hours ago, farm_boy said:

This is a 9 story building, not 11

I think this is open for disagreement.  You can clearly count 11 stories from ground to the top of roof on the front entrance corner.  It does't matter if the top 2 might be ornamental---it is part of the design and counts towards the height.  Some people count actual floors, and some people count stories as measurements. For instance, some might say the towers of La Segrada Familia in Barcelona are 360 feet tall, and others might say they are 36 stories tall---even though there aren't actual floors inside them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

I think this is open for disagreement.  You can clearly count 11 stories from ground to the top of roof on the front entrance corner.  It does't matter if the top 2 might be ornamental---it is part of the design and counts towards the height.  Some people count actual floors, and some people count stories as measurements. For instance, some might say the towers of La Segrada Familia in Barcelona are 360 feet tall, and others might say they are 36 stories tall---even though there aren't actual floors inside them. 

I mean if you really want to get technical, they're levels; that's how the architectural documents will have them labled. Levels 10 and 11 are at this point (in reference to the rendering above) are nothing more than a parapet wall and architectural screen for mechanical equipment. 9 floors or stories, 11 levels.

• Like 1

What is really interesting is the level of finish to all the underpasses along I-40. I haven't seen those because they are all blocked right now. It will clean up the West side of the Capitol View development especially the HCA part. Politics involved, you think??

Lifeway%20cam_zpsh45tpbgj.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

What is really interesting is the level of finish to all the underpasses along I-40. I haven't seen those because they are all blocked right now. It will clean up the West side of the Capitol View development especially the HCA part. Politics involved, you think??

Those are the I-40 bridges that TDOT replaced this winter.   It involved not just the bridges, but rebuilding of the support wall structures, as well.    Pretty major undertaking, but each bridge was replaced over the course of a single weekend to minimize traffic disruption.    And you're right, it's a cleaner look than before, at least for now while they're new.  

6 hours ago, PHofKS said:

If only TDOT would give a little love to the interchanges on the eastern half of the downtown loop -- the exits on that side are sorely lacking some much-needed touch-ups.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In a way it seems that they may have intended the design to look "Cummins-ish", as it were, to complement the existing industrials remaining North-end structures, such as the repurposed Marathon Bldg. and the US Tobacco campus.  However, I have seen many examples elsewhere of better and more elegantly integrated designs of contemporary with "neo-classic" turn-of-the-twentieth-century" flair.

Proposal for Salesforce, Inc., Indianapolis; photo - courtesy J. Greg Allen & Associates Inc.

image.jpg

Edited by rookzie