601 11th Ave. North (former LifeWay HQ) in Capitol View, 9 stories, 250,000 sq. ft.

markhollin

Sure you didn't mean to say Cummin-unistic?  Looks pretty Stalinist to me. Then again with all their money, it seems clear that Lifeway really does not want to be noticed. To wit: this bland cliche design and the farthest most point of the CBD.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Here is another rendering from the I-40 POV looking southeastward.  If they were going for "Non-Descript," then they accomplished their goal.  G'uh.

LifeWay freeway render, May 2016.png

I'm all for bringing business downtown but Lifeway is one of those companies that would be a good fit for Cool Springs/ Williamson Co. Not to mention the building... Conservative.

Edited by claya91

47 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I am happy to have this bland box in its relatively obscure location, because of Lifeway selling their former location, which opens up a high profile site for better urban development. Good trade off, in my opinion.

Precisely. I know it's not great, but they're a religious publishing company. I don't expect them to have a big, flashy building. I'm just glad they're keeping their jobs downtown, and all the other benefits that come from having that extra few hundred people downtown every day.

Plus, like you said, it freed up some prime real estate and is making infill in a place that previously had none.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I am happy to have this bland box in its relatively obscure location, because of Lifeway selling their former location, which opens up a high profile site for better urban development. Good trade off, in my opinion.

But--also bear in mind that upwards of a hundred thousand people will drive by this boring box everyday and wonder why such a blasé new structure is part of a vibrant, growing center city.  Like was said earlier, this looks more appropriate for an area like Cool Springs than downtown.  

I, too, am glad the Baptists have stayed in the central city, but wish they could've done something (heck..ANYthing) that was more creative than this epitome of mediocrity. 

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 1

In comparing the rendering that Mark posted with Cummins Station, it seems apparent to me that Lifeway and the Gresham, Smith,... may have "tried" to emulate the Cummins Station 1907 warehouse appearance, in a most generic way.  It's as if they wanted it to serve as a gulch "Northgate" counterpart to the southerly location of Cummins, although in my unsolicited opinion it was a p!ss-poor job at best.

I would expect exactly just that ─ a postmodern turn-of-last-century warehouse design.

Lifeway_HQ2.jpg

cummins_station3.jpg

• Like 2

I don't mind it at all.  It's not a skyscraper, and I've always liked the feel that industrial warehouses provide.  This won't have the grittiness of a 100 year old warehouse, but it does emulate those buildings.  

I am also a fan of the new apartments around the baseball park as well....because they look like warehouses.  

These buildings will never look like last decade's flash-in-the-pan architectural trend.  They will age very well. While never being flashy, they will never be ugly either.  

Truth.

9 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

While we're wishing away the warts on our built landscape, I vote to obliterate Dejavu and Hustler Hollywood. With high speed internet so widely available, is there really any need for brick and mortar locations of these businesses any longer?

Try before you buy?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

While we're wishing away the warts on our built landscape, I vote to obliterate Dejavu and Hustler Hollywood. With high speed internet so widely available, is there really any need for brick and mortar locations of these businesses any longer?

It's Just Sex.™

Not that I've been in there...

Maybe they could be tenants for ground-floor retail in the next apartment building. Just so long as they don't take up a lane for valet parking.

• 1 month later...

From Nashville Post this afternoon:

LifeWay Christian Resources has received the latest permit related to the construction of the nonprofit’s 10-story office building in Capitol View. The permit is valued at about $3.7 million and is for foundation work. LifeWay officials are targeting an early 2018 move-in date.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...