Deutsche Bank freezes plans for 250 Cary Jobs because of HB2

DCMetroRaleigh

FRANKFURT, April 12 (Reuters) - Deutsche Bank is freezing plans to create 250 new jobs at its Cary, North Carolina, location after the state passed a controversial law targeting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) citizens.

"We take our commitment to building inclusive work environments seriously," John Cryan, the chief executive of Germany's largest lender, said in a statement on Tuesday.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/deutsche-bank-freezes-plans-n-131913797.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

The GA feels like we do not need more jobs in Cary and Charlotte. 

Raleigh also lost multiple conventions Anf some that are "monitoring the situation" of HB2 which all total 24 million in economic impact so far. A representative from Cary doesn't care because that just frees up space for other convention folks (moron)

I haven't seen anything resembling the GOP except a Huntersville GOP rep. Wanting to revise HB2 or change it

The Ga told the movie industry  goodbye

Took away Asheville water system

Tried to take the  airport owned by the city of Charlotte away

Jump on Greensboro voting districts during an election.

Wanted to take more sale tax money away from large cities and Outer Banks

Add tax on labor in NC

Gave the teachers in NC the shaft.

Kill LRT  projects in NC. Set funding for any LRT in NC to $500,000.00

Passed LB2 bill 

Conventions in major cities are down, hotels lose on this one big time.

Raleigh needs more hotels for the Conventions, but they may have too many if they can't book a convention.

Charlotte also has lost some conventions.

Please add any more you know of.

It is a shame that our state has gone down the hill on economic development, jobs and human rights.  We have just seen the tip of what is to come.

Soon we will hear that tax revenue is going down and will need to cut services and raise taxes.

Between 2 projects,  One in  Cary and one in Charlotte there is a lost of  $40,659,000 in lost wages.

Who knows how many companies has cross NC off their list.

Can we afford the GOP for another 4 years in NC?

7 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

Soon we will hear that tax revenue is going down

Its already falling. The surplus at the end of last fisal year was $400 million, the treasurer recently reported that this year's surplus is projected to be $277 million. This is a big problem since the state has lots of deferred expenses (like no raises for state employees for the past six years).

8 hours ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

The Ga told the movie industry  goodbye

Took away Asheville water system

Tried to take the  airport owned by the city of Charlotte away

Jump on Greensboro voting districts during an election.

Wanted to take more sale tax money away from large cities and Outer Banks

Add tax on labor in NC

Gave the teachers in NC the shaft.

Kill LRT  projects in NC. Set funding for any LRT in NC to $500,000.00

Passed LB2 bill 

Conventions in major cities are down, hotels lose on this one big time.

Raleigh needs more hotels for the Conventions, but they may have too many if they can't book a convention.

Charlotte also has lost some conventions.

Please add any more you know of.

It is a shame that our state has gone down the hill on economic development, jobs and human rights.  We have just seen the tip of what is to come.

Soon we will hear that tax revenue is going down and will need to cut services and raise taxes.

Between 2 projects,  One in  Cary and one in Charlotte there is a lost of  $40,659,000 in lost wages.

Who knows how many companies has cross NC off their list.

Can we afford the GOP for another 4 years in NC?

Great summary...add refused to expand Medicaid to the list.

Wasted tax dollars on Amendment One to satiate the thumpers.

Among the worst is the TV and film industry.  Not only does giving away an industry hurt workers and business, they also gave away...m I stay to Georgia (ugh) 100's of millions of dollars in free advertising and tourism development.

8 hours ago, dmccall said:

This is not a politics website. 

It is ever since HB2 was passed.

The enactment of that bill has caused an avalanche of opprobrium to descend on North Carolina.

It has directly impacted and directly caused the loss of business, particularly in Charlotte.

In turn, this will affect everything at the core of this website: new development, the urban landscape and streetscape, who comes and goes and why.

#secedeCharlotte

On 4/13/2016 at 11:48 AM, Spatula said:

Unfortunately these protests are affecting the major cities negatively... places that already oppose HB2, and places our general assembly resents. They probably see all of this as a 'feature'.

The damage to Charlotte and Raleigh has made them happier than hogs in slop.

This is how stupid and heedless they are.

Cut nose, spite face.

19 hours ago, dmccall said:

This is not a politics website. 

Everything this site discusses is about politics. It always has been. To say that urban development isn't wrapped up in politics is an ignorant statement. Is it not political bodies who approve or disapprove of new developments? Is it not political bodies who approve/disapprove of transit initiatives? Is it not political bodies who approve/disapprove of parks, greenways, roads, airports, and everything else having to do with urban development? Politics plays a part in all of the topics discussed on this message board.

On 4/16/2016 at 8:53 AM, Silicon Dogwoods said:

The damage to Charlotte and Raleigh has made them happier than hogs in slop.

This is how stupid and heedless they are.

Cut nose, spite face.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/governor/nc/north_carolina_governor_mccrory_vs_cooper-4096.html

Yeah well we'll see who's happy in November!

Announced office bldg projects:

• Dillon
  • One Glenwood
  • Charter Sq North
  • Edison Office
  • 301 Hillsborough St.

Haven't heard of any tenants lined up for any of them.  And now with HB2, I can imagine the leasing sell to try to get companies to relocate here is that much harder.  To be honest, until HB2 is repealed, I don't see any of them breaking ground.  Possibly Dillon could continue, but I could also see a temporary halt in work after the demo phase is completed to reassess.

5 hours ago, Green_man said:

Announced office bldg projects:

• Dillon
  • One Glenwood
  • Charter Sq North
  • Edison Office
  • 301 Hillsborough St.

Haven't heard of any tenants lined up for any of them.  And now with HB2, I can imagine the leasing sell to try to get companies to relocate here is that much harder.  To be honest, until HB2 is repealed, I don't see any of them breaking ground.  Possibly Dillon could continue, but I could also see a temporary halt in work after the demo phase is completed to reassess.

Kane, being the big conservative supporter that he is, likely has a long list of companies that couldn't care less about HB2 on speed dial. Law firms. Investment and banking firms...those are his bread and butter(I realize Kane recruited Allscripts to North Hills) and I think more likely to stay a-political. Having said that, it could very well affect the other projects if this keeps cascading. 

So far the big multinational private-sector players (IBM, Lenovo, GSK, Cisco, Fidelity, Credit Suisse, Metlife, BASF, etc) are either keeping quiet or keeping their opinions out of public view. If they weigh in, the pressure on Jones Street reds will become intense. I believe American Airlines in CLT has confirmed their support for LGBTs although AA has not publicly called for HB2 repeal outright.. unless I missed it. 

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:35 AM, Silicon Dogwoods said:

It is ever since HB2 was passed.

The enactment of that bill has caused an avalanche of opprobrium to descend on North Carolina.

It has directly impacted and directly caused the loss of business, particularly in Charlotte.

In turn, this will affect everything at the core of this website: new development, the urban landscape and streetscape, who comes and goes and why.

#secedeCharlotte

I'd characterize it as an avalanche of preening and virtue-signaling attended by spectacular hypocrisy.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/18/2016 at 5:20 PM, rancenc said:

I do believe that Deutsche Bank's expansion freeze has a lot less to do concerning HB2 and more to do with their overall financial situation

.http://sputniknews.com/business/20160718/1043219466/deutsche-bank-problems.html

I think DB is having major troubles and may have to seek aid of German govt. I dont think their freeze on jobs had anything to do with HB2 just a good excuse http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/30/germany-could-be-having-its-lehman-brothers-moment-and-people-are-freaked/?utm_campaign=atdailycaller&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

• 1 month later...

Sounds like those DB jobs are not lost afterall. From the Triangle Business Journal today 

When Deutsche Bank (NYSE: DB) announced in April that it was nixing an incentivized 250-job expansion plan due to its opposition of House Bill 2, it left the state out of the conversation.

Email records released to the Triangle Business Journal show that, despite making statements to the press, the financial services firm never notified the state of North Carolina that it was halting the expansion. Instead, its site consultants have told the state the company plans to move forward after all – opposing statements DB's executives have made.

Very interesting indeed. 

• 1 month later...

I honestly believe it doesn't bother the GOP at all. When jobs comes to our state, so do people and the majority of them coming are liberals from the northeast and Midwest. The bigger our cities grow, the more blue our state becomes in presidential elections and the GOP doesn't want to lose its grip on our state. This is why they don't care because HB2 affects the big cities in our state the most and they are full of democrats.

Archived