Seversville Projects and News

kermit

5 minutes ago, jwintim said:

I was on the greenway this past weekend as well and noticed the same things. I am trying to convince my gf that we should move near there but she thinks it might be unsafe. Anyone have any insight on how to change her mind?

Not much to do now, but once Blue Blaze opens the 'general neighborhood vibe' is going to change very quickly.

32 minutes ago, jwintim said:

I was on the greenway this past weekend as well and noticed the same things. I am trying to convince my gf that we should move near there but she thinks it might be unsafe. Anyone have any insight on how to change her mind?

I would recommend driving around the area at night and making up your mind based on that. There are lots of political correctness fanatics around so  I will reserve my personal opinion. Have a nice trip. Regardless, I think that someday the area might be safe. I went to elementary school at the old Seversville Elementary.

Edited by caterpillar2

political correctness fanatics or not, the market has spoken. There are several houses on State street (less than a block from Blaze) which have sold for more than $350,000 in the past year. When was the last time you were back in your former 'hood?

Visiting a neighborhood at night is sage advice for any home purchase.

Edited by kermit

So I have actually been buying as many rentals in this area (Smallwood/ Biddleville) over the past year. There is plenty of demand for new homes in this area. The 2 new townhome communities announced (129+ units) will help get alot more people in the neighborhood. The more homeowners out walking dogs, working in the yard the better. I wouldnt say the area is safe at night currently but I feel comfortable during the day driving around talking to neighbors. There are alot of single women and young adults buying in these neighborhoods because of the prices and location. What neighborhoods can you buy a 2000sqft new construction home surrounding downtown for less than 400k? Dilworth? Cherry? Elizabeth? Midwood?  In my area, Roslyn/Trade they are starting to sell 400k+ new construction homes. You can still find some smaller for 300k. A year ago you could buy a home and tear it down for 40-50k, that same home will be 80-100k today.

I think the brewery will help get better renters as well as more homeowners in the neighborhood. The Gold line is what most people are waiting on and then the area will start to change like Villa Heights/Belmont/Noda. There is alot of construction in the area now and alot of older homeowners that will be moving on. 2-3 Years this area will see a drastic change IMO, I hope im right!!

1 hour ago, kermit said:

political correctness fanatics or not, the market has spoken. There are several houses on State street (less than a block from Blaze) which have sold for more than $350,000 in the past year. When was the last time you were back in your former 'hood?

Visiting a neighborhood at night is sage advice for any home purchase.

I have only driven up my old streets in the area which included Grandin Road, Tuckaseegee Road,  and Rozzell's Ferry while heading some place else. My friend owns a bar on Tuckaseegee Road near States Street and I go there occasionally (once a year maybe). I am really glad to see that there are expensive homes n State Street as that whole area is so close in to town. Since the trolley will eventually head that way, it would be nice if someday it could be a safe destination for everyone that chooses to head that way after dark. I'm glad to see the changes that are occurring in Wesley Heights. My philosophy is that I wouldn't live in a place that my wife wouldn't be very safe walking home by herself at night. I don't think that part of Westside is there yet. Thing is, I am a walker and walk everywhere possible. Most people aren't and would not care about walkability as much as me. So my opinion is relative.

Edited by caterpillar2

• 3 years later...

I drove through Belmont neighborhood last week and had a conversation that could also be had in the Seversville area. When new homes and development come to a neighborhood that has numerous Habitat homes, (see above) is that a positive development?

I raised money and helped to build a Habitat home on Auten Street near Bruns Avenue School some years ago and the neighborhood was ripe for affordable homes. such as the one we built. There was another next door starting just as we finished. I drive by it every year or so to remember that time of my life. This is obviously no longer a promising Habitat neighborhood as development has overtaken affordable opportunity. Davidson Street and Julia Maulden Court in the near-town Davidson Street area also have quite a collection of Habitat built homes. Must we lose them? 

• Like 4

I am sure you were grateful for the experience as was I. My question is that, must we lose these affordable homes? If we are simply trading Julia Maulden Court for Plato Price school grounds for Habitat homes then we are making no headway. Or do the deeds prohibit conversion or demolition in perpetuity. I doubt the deed prohibits anything in perpetuity.

Edited by tarhoosier

We aren't making any headway. That is not a problem that is unique to Charlotte, but happening in every major city across the US. You can't fight the growing trends of urbanization and people's desire to live close the city in a capitalistic society that now values these areas 10X what they did a few years ago. Homes in general are not a good use of space and the US is one of the only developed places in the world where even people well below the median and even poverty income levels still own single family homes. With our current systems of taxation and government here in Charlotte, Habitat homes are really more of a feel good project for the people building them than they are a solution to affordable homes. 

• Like 1

There are deed restrictions for 45 years on Habitat homes locally but not sure if this something new or done from the start.  https://www.habitatcharlotte.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Deed-Restrictions-wShared-Appreciation-Clause-DRAFT-of-section-I-edit.pdf

The real problem Habitat and any affordable housing projects is high and increasing land values.  That is why I think most of the vacant land the county and schools owns should be considered for affordable housing.      These townhomes I drove by in Seversville are 400-500K 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I am sure you were grateful for the experience as was I. My question is that, must we lose these affordable homes? If we are simply trading Julia Maulden Court for Plato Price school grounds for Habitat homes then we are making no headway. Or do the deeds prohibit conversion or demolition in perpetuity. I doubt the deed prohibits anything in perpetuity.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Many would say that the existence of those homes helped individuals gain equity and then be able to sell it for a profit. Many others would say that how things are done are designed to disenfranchise those very homeowners because the environment that has been created is resulting in buyers who under pay and seek out the most vulnerable of those homeowners. It is one thing to sell a home that is being passed on to another person with intentions of living there and/or maintaining a long-term relationship with the building and the neighborhood. It is an entirely other thing for homes to be bought by developers or flippers 

Now the "developer" class has more variety to it (like people trying to build incrementally and contextually) while flippers are simply switching out a lower income homeowner for a higher income homeowner. No net improvement. 

This is all way more complicated than my two small paragraphs, but yeah.

• Like 1

There is an agreement for the City to provide the property of the former Plato Price school to Habitat, plus the city provide funds for infrastructure and site preparation for 47 or so homes. This has been discussed for years and the city still has not moved forward so...?

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/habitat-charlotte-plans-to-build-47-single-family-homes-in-west-charlotte/873526812

This will require a major fund raising effort by Habitat. Working on a Habitat house is an investment toward our Urban Planet.

A search of county property records shows Habitat owns some properties scattered in lower income neighborhoods and the photos indicate they are the type of real estate that comes at very low  or no cost. Some are likely gifts, tax liens or foreclosure. The usual, in other words.

• Like 2

I've been living in the neighborhood for 3 years now, and the building - whether it be house flipping, new construction of homes, new constructions of townhomes, etc has been relentless. I think one of the questions that is interesting about the west side of town - especially Seversville, Biddleville, Smallwood specifically - is when will the food/bar/service/retail businesses follow?

The streetcar and demand for in-town housing has made these locations attractive for new residents and residential building is booming, but the commercial side is essentially unchanged during this same period of time. If you look at W. Trade street from 77 on to past Five Points there hasn't been a single new consumer-facing business in the last 3 years that I can name.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DCtransplant said:

I've been living in the neighborhood for 3 years now, and the building - whether it be house flipping, new construction of homes, new constructions of townhomes, etc has been relentless. I think one of the questions that is interesting about the west side of town - especially Seversville, Biddleville, Smallwood specifically - is when will the food/bar/service/retail businesses follow?

The streetcar and demand for in-town housing has made these locations attractive for new residents and residential building is booming, but the commercial side is essentially unchanged during this same period of time. If you look at W. Trade street from 77 on to past Five Points there hasn't been a single new consumer-facing business in the last 3 years that I can name.

now now, you got a brand new renovated Bojangles. 

I think the streetcar construction has Trade so bound up that any activity won't happen until close to the streetcar finishing up. IIRC, there's a phase II of Mosaic village that could potentially start up, too, and help kick things off. There had also been discussion of JC Smith removing the fence from around their campus to help the area feel a little more inviting. 

I also think Savona Mill is the best opportunity in the near future, too, to help spur commercial development. There aren't many buildings like that left in the city  ready to be redeveloped. 

• Haha 2

There are plans for the white service station on rozzelles ferry about 3 buildings down from trade.  I can tell you that you won’t see any movement with it till the streetcar is open. There will be another 100-200households within a 6 block radius I’d bet by then.  

Blows my mind where that area has come in the last 3-4 years.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...