Seversville Projects and News

kermit

• 4 months later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, kermit said:

Every once in a while a genius blesses us with something genius-like to the tweeter. This is a truly brilliant plan!

I have spoken with quite a few Charlotte farmers market sellers and without exception they say 1) they like the big Yorkmont market because it has easy highway access and 2) its a high volume market so its worth the long drive. I think Savona is one of the few locations intown that could duplicate both those things. The greenway is also huge bonus for weekend sales -- for equity reasons we really need a big market that is bike and ped accessible, the Yorkmont site is neither. Finally, this fills a huge hole in one of the city's biggest food deserts and Lyles has said she is prepared to spend city money to remediate food deserts.

A second bonus for this site is it would be one of the most instragrammable urbanite-hipster things in the entire South -- a Savona famers market would quickly become nationally known.

Hopefully Pappanastos would see the merit in this proposal, after all the Southend market was really the thing that allowed Atherton to attract shoppers and then big time RE attention.

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!! (and give Clay the Queen City Nobel if it does!)

Pappanastos is about to get big help from an outside company on Savona, FYI.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DCtransplant said:

The mixed use redevelopment on Gesco St of the old Clorox warehouse has fencing up now. Both sides of the street. Seems work is imminent.27a702ced3e28f9fb409d9c388a787b1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

There’s so much going on in this area with old warehouses.  I’ve probably read but forgot. What is going in this warehouse project?     Restaurants, office, retail? Thanks

think it is called Lower Tuck being redeveloped by an ATL developer Third and Urban

LOWER TUCK

Lower Tuck is comprised of the adaptive re-use of 260,000 square feet of former distribution buildings in the up-and-coming west side of Charlotte, NC. The project is proximate to Uptown and sits within a commercial node that is surrounded by the Wesley Heights, Seversville and Enderly neighborhoods. These mid-century warehouses will be transformed into a fun mix of creative office spaces, dining and showroom concepts.

https://thirdandurban.com/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, kermit said:

Holy crap! There is hope for reducing driving in Charlotte and also making the necessary zoning and code changes for affordable housing. This is great news, I am surprised and delighted this passed.

I don't understand what no cars allowed even means.  No street parking? No drop off parking. What about guest parking? What if I am handicapped and need an ADA accessible van? 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I don't understand what no cars allowed even means.  No street parking? No drop off parking. What about guest parking? What if I am handicapped and need an ADA accessible van? 

Fundamentally the site plan omits dedicated, on site, parking (and the costs associated with that space not being available for housing units). In order to appease neighbors and the council, the apartment leases will require tenants affirm that they do not own a car. I imagine that clause would be enforced the same way that no pets clauses are.   IIRC there is a small lot for visitor, dropoff and ADA parking but no spaces are dedicated to specific units.

Aside from the ADA parking, the site plan (in terms of parking) is similar to buildings built before the 1950s.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, kermit said:

Fundamentally the site plan omits dedicated, on site, parking (and the costs associated with that space not being available for housing units). In order to appease neighbors and the council, the apartment leases will require tenants affirm that they do not own a car. I imagine that clause would be enforced the same way that no pets clauses are.   IIRC there is a small lot for visitor, dropoff and ADA parking but no spaces are dedicated to specific units.

Aside from the ADA parking, the site plan (in terms of parking) is similar to buildings built before the 1950s.

Okay, that sounds more reasonable, and I like it better. 

Six....ONLY six...parking spaces for continuous GROCERY deliveries, visitors to the 104 units, and ADA Paratransit access is simply not enough to not allow massive street parking overflow. Simply a good minded project in wrong area. The closest grocery store is ALDI. Have any of you attempted to bike from this site location elevation to ALDI? And the size of individual units at 300-350 sq. ft. is not intended for a family of more than two.

Affordable housing? $66K is considered acceptable tenants based on area incomes as determined by GRUBB. These incomes will easily allow for ownership of a car. Humans are funny. They will always take the path of least resistance. And in Charlotte, that is owning a car after trying to take CATS for a few months. This is not going to 'abode' (ha) well for tenants who want friends to visit and neighbors alike.

' I imagine that clause would be enforced the same way that no pets clauses are. ' :  These clauses are enforced by relying on other tenants to police others. This burden will be put onto the neighbors. Not a very good 'community' project if that's the case. People blindly disobey the pet clause. You'd think they would care more about a pet than they would a car. Can you imagine having to give your pet up for adoption or face eviction. Oh wait....they do give pets up for this exact reason....or face eviction. People in Charlotte, as of now, are more concerned with a car than they are a pet. Sad I know.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/charlotte-get-citys-1st-car-free-housing-development/424NGD3NSVFPVIPOKFIEBFM7BM/?_website=cmg-tv-10030

Edited by cityman4u
Addition
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

^ I would like that a thousand times if I could. Nice job articulating the details of the situation. I am not sure why its so hard for many of us (even here at UP!) to imagine that some people would like to live without a car. As Sustain Charlotte tweeted today "Folks deserve a choice to not pay for a parking spot that they won't use."

One other way to minimize the still non-existent (possibly never to emerge) crises might be to make the surrounding streets all pay to park (by phone) and give current residents a permit to park for a nominal rate (like in 4th Ward). Then any parking and fine revenue could be used to finance neighborhood amenities (such as contribute to the regular operation of the Seversville Streetcar). 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

Among the affordable unit tenants may be a few who are not able to drive a car due to physical condition or other reasons not financial based. This could become a truly interesting social experiment involving the ecologically concerned , value seekers, and moderate-low income individuals in a single community. Most new units in this market, in my opinion, tend to attract people of quite similar background and motivation.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, kermit said:

Big News at the Savona Mill:

CBJ discusses last year's rezoning at the site but I can't help but wonder if the UDO is going to unlock a great deal of potential here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/12/15/portman-holdings-buys-savona-mill-property.html

I'm absolutely thrilled by this news.  Thrilled because a bigger balance sheet and portfolio will now be behind an adaptive reuse of a major historical landmark.  Also thrilled because I live 0.9 miles away from this site, and the Portman transaction suggests this may become a mixed-use hub for this region of Charlotte, bringing a measure of the amenities like those enjoyed by South-Enders.  Timing won't work out, but something like Big Ben's Pub could consider this site for relocation. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1