Seversville Projects and News

kermit

14 hours ago, utcltjay said:

Am I the only one disappointed that these won't be turned into cool warehouse residential lofts? The area is fast becoming the latest gentrified part of town, but most of the new development are modern townhouses and fixed up bungalows, but Charlotte has so little cool warehouse condo space, and frankly this section seems too deep in the neighborhood to serve as commercial office space. I just feel they missed the mark here. It's large enough that they could have even done a mix of both. Guess I should just be happy it is finally being fixed up at all. 

I expected something like Hoskins Mill (which has great bones, and lots of folks don't know about) with a retail component. We tend to turn mills into office while most cities turned them into housing.

Edited by CLT>

Unpopular opinion, but I've never been in a post-industrial residential loft that I would live in. Those spaces are really cool but not super livable unless you pour a serious amount of money into thermal and acoustical control. Floor plates are also challenging since industrial column grids aren't conducive to residential spaces, and you will really only have one big space on an exterior wall with windows. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Unpopular opinion, but I've never been in a post-industrial residential loft that I would live in. Those spaces are really cool but not super livable unless you pour a serious amount of money into thermal and acoustical control. Floor plates are also challenging since industrial column grids aren't conducive to residential spaces, and you will really only have one big space on an exterior wall with windows. 

That's fair. And probably why more in Charlotte have been turned into offices, unless you put the money in they look.... strange... Brick and heavy timber, then a hollow core paneled door and bad wood trim...

Edited by CLT>

55 minutes ago, CLT> said:

I expected something like Hoskins Mill (which is cool and lots of folks don't know about) with a retail component. We tend to turn mills into office while most cities turned them into housing.

My brother owned a unit at Hoskins Mill. It was a great idea, but in a neighborhood that doesn't have any real potential, and they did a pretty basic job with the units themselves. That being said, I would have much rather seen Savona mill turned into residents and Hoskins as office space. Total shame for both. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I owned a condo (in an out of town location) in a converted 1850's warehouse. Very "mill"- like construction. There was a support post mid-living room. A generous hall ran the middle of the building and separated the living sides of the building such that units had windows. My choice was a corner unit which gave a window on the bedroom as well as dual aspect living room plus kitchen window. The units were well designed to maximise light access within the limitations of the original structure. Timber framed building updated for living with concrete floors on five levels.  The bath exhaust fan could not push a column of warm air strongly enough from my floor 2 through floor 5 and to the roof  to remove the moisture, which was a nuisance, not a problem. It was quiet due to renovation techniques and materials. This was in a popular and historic location so quality was assured in the renovation. The building won some award for historic renovation and re-use. I do not claim this is the norm for such projects.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Damn, this breaks my heart because I know its true.  Now that I have heard someone knowledgeable say it, I am broken.

One of my favorite tropes from 80s apocalypse / urban decay movies was when the tough-guy male protagonist lived inside some empty factory and parked his car and had a basketball court (and all kids of other 80s mancave crap) inside. Oceans 8 had the feminized version of this more recently.  Seems like there were still a few opportunities for this sort of thing in late 90s Charlotte.

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's more lot coverage for parking than actual buildings. :wacko: While 650 units and the mill will continue to activate this neighborhood, I was hoping Portman would be a bit bolder given there's a car-free development right across the street. Would've been a great opportunity for a cohesive neighborhood

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, dencity said:

There's more lot coverage for parking than actual buildings. :wacko: While 650 units and the mill will continue to activate this neighborhood, I was hoping Portman would be a bit bolder given there's a car-free development right across the street. Would've been a great opportunity for a cohesive neighborhood

Not all, but a lot of that parking could eventually be redeveloped. 

• 3 weeks later...

Long time ago my parents came from the midwest to visit me. They drove. I told them to arrive on I-85 then take an exit and call me and I would talk to them from there how to reach my home. Dad called and said he was at a restaurant off of Glenwood Drive .  I had never heard of it. I said "re-enter the interstate and choose another exit." I later drove the highway until I found this exit which existed then, as well as now, for no reason I can imagine.

Also: their son was foolish and assumed knowledge he did not possess. (obvs)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Drive by Savona Mill the other day and around the neighborhood.   Not sure this duplex fits in and this is more in Enderly Park off Tuckaseegee.  Thought this new Spanish language church in an older church did a good job of renovating and updating the older church building.

IMG_2037.JPG

What an odd collection of cars in the back duplex.  A Hummer and a Porsche Taycan EV.

• Haha 2

On 1/28/2021 at 2:18 PM, kermit said:

^ IMO the neighborhood has some of the best bones in Charlotte.

[housing stock, tree canopy, elevation, view, institutional buildings, greenway, mill and streetcar]

Agree with you completely. I have seen these hideous duplexes popping up everywhere around uptown and I just can't believe how little effort was put into the design. It doesn't just avoid fitting in, it blatantly offends everything around it. So sad. 

• Like 1

These are popping up everywhere on this side of town and they are horrendous. Wasn't enough just destroying Westbrook and Greenleaf, now the developer has to take over the whole westside

I’d just say they’re being built in areas that they do not fit in at all.

I’d just say they’re being built in areas that they do not fit in at all.

This is something that would be squeezed in between two buildings to add density otherwise it looks pretty ugly.
  • Like 2