Seversville Projects and News

kermit

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
Anyone know the situation behind this property on West Trade?  So many changes happening in this neighborhood and so many people moving in, and yet the front porch to the district looks so despairing along West Trade right near I-77.
1941856125_WestTradeParknShop-Reuse.jpg.77555e35d97772fc59cffb87f1c3026b.jpg
If I remember correctly, the duke endowment purchased it a few years back to avoid it being bought up and turned into a dollar store. There was talk of some plans to turn it into a food incubator, but never materialized.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, DCtransplant said:

Gist:

Duke Endowment gifting the land to JCSU

Gift intentions are that the land be used for community-oriented purposes

JCSU long-term plans are unclear

In the short-term, property will be used for an outdoor events space, turning the lot into a space for food trucks, pop-up markets, and musical events

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I own a place in this community.  It's dense, but not in the vertical sense. 

From pics, it would seem to be a neighborhood where one might find a corner pub or wine shop, or perhaps a corner bakery or even dining spot in one of the ground floor spaces of these townhomes springing up everywhere.  But alas, either due to parking regulations or maybe just the market reality of essential parking requirements, it's not very mixed use. 

The Mosaic has ground-floor retail spaces, I believe, but their visibility is woeful.  West Trade is a super quiet corridor.  Hardly activated.  Unclear if the Gold Line will be stimulative, or if the impossibility of any sort of street-side parking in front of businesses keeps the stretch largely dormant.  I suppose Elizabeth dealing with a similar issue.

At any rate, a quiet or placid area, not really what someone might expect to see when being encouraged to visit the "west end of a major city."

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Friend visiting me in Wesley Heights from out of town.  

Arrived yesterday evening, and feeling beat, decided to indulge in some unhealthy fare with her 2-year old at the Bojangles on West Trade.

While there, a vagrant menacing patrons ended up getting arrested in front of her and her son.  

This evening, she decided to walk to JackBeagles for a bite, also with her son.

What was likely another vagrant came in and lay down in one of the booths near her.

The waitress on staff asked if he was there to order, he replied no, and she told him he couldn't use the booth for sleeping.

A loud, long, and profanity-laced tirade began.

I'd like to call these exceptions, but two nights in a row and these accounts leave me to wonder just how unpleasant casual dining on the westside really is.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Prodev said:

small site with already low unit count, so trade-off would have been  an even lower unit count for retail that doesn't get you as good of a rent/return as the residential units would. 

Thanks for your post, but was curious if someone might be closer to the project to give a perspective on what happened.  Below is the comment from the project spokesperson, so I'm not getting the sense it was directly an issue in determining the financial feasibility of the right mix of uses.  Might it have been floodplains or adjacent roads or a condition of the rezoning that took place to allow for the project?

Rachel Russell Krenz, Ram vice president of development for the Carolinas, told Charlotte Business Journal today that the apartment community will not include ground-floor retail because of site restrictions.

"We would have liked to add retail in this project, but due to site constraints we were not able to fit it," she said. 

Mature trees dropping like flies on the westside…makes sense when they’re defoliating and under strain because of disease induced by increasingly frequent drought conditions, but when they’re lush and healthy and get felled because of site clear-cutting due to incoming dense development, it stings.  Tree below was cut and not sure why, but looking into the reason.  It’s on or along the greenway.

333CB9BC-3717-4B4A-AFE4-3AB3C4F83C7A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

Mature trees dropping like flies on the westside…makes sense when they’re defoliating and under strain because of disease induced by increasingly frequent drought conditions, but when they’re lush and healthy and get felled because of site clear-cutting due to incoming dense development, it stings.  Tree below was cut and not sure why, but looking into the reason.  It’s on or along the greenway.

333CB9BC-3717-4B4A-AFE4-3AB3C4F83C7A.jpeg

It's happening absolutely everywhere on the west side. There really should be more stringent rules around protecting the existing canopy. Most of the time on these projects, they'll cut down all the mature tress and then plant a few new trees upon project completion - half of them end up dying. Absolute shame. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DCtransplant said:

It's happening absolutely everywhere on the west side. There really should be more stringent rules around protecting the existing canopy. Most of the time on these projects, they'll cut down all the mature tress and then plant a few new trees upon project completion - half of them end up dying. Absolute shame. 

I haven't read the tree ordinance, but if there's not something in there requiring the saving of trees above a certain diameter (the one pictured would more than qualify), that's indefensible.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/19/2020 at 9:50 PM, kermit said:

Holy crap! There is hope for reducing driving in Charlotte and also making the necessary zoning and code changes for affordable housing. This is great news, I am surprised and delighted this passed.

This project popped into my head today. It originally had a 2022 completion date and there has been zero noise about it after its contentious approval  so I thought I would go take a look.

It certainly didn't get done in 2022, but something is underway. Does anyone know if the scope of the project changed due to the delay?

(was originally the Grubb car-free apartments)

B73728B6-55CA-4966-A0F5-E626951A02F6.jpeg

Edited by kermit

• 1 month later...

So the WSJ mentions this Grubb project in a story about eliminating parking minimums today:

Three years ago, the Charlotte, N.C., city council granted a rezoning request to Grubb Properties, a local developer, to build a 104-unit apartment close to downtown with no resident parking at all.

That enabled it to build about 25% more units than would have been possible had the building included parking, said Clay Grubb, the company’s chief executive. Fitting in more units means rents will be about $250 lower than they otherwise would have been, he said. 

The building, which is set to open next year, will feature bicycle storage areas. It sits along a greenway close to downtown, and Mr. Grubb expects many residents will bike to work.

Mr. Grubb contrasted the Charlotte development with a 405-unit apartment project in Aurora, Colo., where city rules require him to build 485 spaces even though he estimates residents will only need 390. “That is a complete waste of money,” he said.

Interesting to see the WSJ paint Charlotte as a progressive beacon in comparison to Denver.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/parking-problem-too-much-cities-e94dcecf

• Like 3