1200 Broadway (27 stories, 313 residential units, 66,000 sq. ft. office, 46,000 sq. ft. Whole Foods, 485 capacity garage)

claya91

On 5/2/2016 at 8:53 PM, MLBrumby said:

Grocery store downtown, somewhat respectable size, and one less car dealership on Broadway. Not a bad deal. Is that a red brick facade?

• Like 4

Endeavor:  New mixed use building at the Mazda site, from the Tennessean....   http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/05/02/first-look-27-story-tower-planned-former-mazda-site/83839314/

" Endeavor's Managing Principal Jamil Alam previously has mentioned grocery stores and restaurants among possibilities. And the developer is known to have a close relationship with fellow Austin-based Whole Foods Market Inc., which has reportedly been scouting areas near downtown Nashville for a location."

635978013222685143-mazda.JPG

• Like 4

We know how sketchy early articles and renderings can be, but I count 29 floors.  Anyway, too early to quibble.. although from the article, the developer is looking for permission to go from 20-stories (allowed now) up to 27 along Broadway.  

From the article:

• Developer wants more of the tallest part of the building to face Broadway and 12th Avenue North.
  • Endeavor Real Estate Group is known to have a close relationship with fellow Austin-based company Whole Foods Market Inc.
  • The developer has selected Turner Construction to handle pre-construction work.
  • Like 1

Do I rant now, or wait?  Hmmmmm... anyone else ticked that codes already require only 20 stories, and this building (which looks like two towers abutting each other) will require permission to go to 27 floors?  So here's my rant... why the hell does a developer have to do something like this to "work around" the outdated and conservative codes, when a single tower of (what?) 45-50 stories might be appropriate. Obviously, I don't know the math behind this building (or even anything like it), I would expect that there would be rising costs over a certain floor level. However, given the rising cost of land in the Gulch, wouldn't it be prudent to build a single tower over a podium or leave some of the land vacant to accommodate a second tower in the future?  Rant over! 

Also I made a new thread for this project!!!! 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Do I rant now, or wait?  Hmmmmm... anyone else ticked that codes already require only 20 stories, and this building (which looks like two towers abutting each other) will require permission to go to 27 floors?  So here's my rant... why the hell does a developer have to do something like this to "work around" the outdated and conservative codes, when a single tower of (what?) 45-50 stories might be appropriate. Obviously, I don't know the math behind this building (or even anything like it), I would expect that there would be rising costs over a certain floor level. However, given the rising cost of land in the Gulch, wouldn't it be prudent to build a single tower over a podium or leave some of the land vacant to accommodate a second tower in the future?  Rant over! 

Also I made a new thread for this project!!!! 

I mean it's better than having a Mazda dealership there :)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I'm going to chime in with this being yet another unimpressive, unoriginal/derivative design with the usual ghastly parking planter sarcophagus base. Could it kill somebody to do something remotely attractive and creative ? <_<

I agree with you about the base being unappealing but you would almost expect a garage with the amount of people the retail portion will attract. 

Edited by claya91

I know developers keep throwing around the idea of a grocery....but a Whole Foods there would make more sense than putting one in Aertson or Capitol View. 

Other than that....seems like a nice proposal. Nothing mind-blowing, but should do a great job of bridging the Gulch and North Gulch areas (especially in terms of high rises).

1 hour ago, The ATX said:

LOL.  Y'all are getting spoiled in Nashville just like us in Austin.  No new project is tall enough, and every design is boring.

Yeah....although I want to see a bit more inspiration in the design of most proposals in general, this really isn't one I'd complain about.

• Like 2

I'm calling this one the Tetris building.

Still better than a car lot, but come on now. "I have an idea, I'm going to lay a long box on it side, then take another kinda long box and stack it on that. You know what, I'll even stack another similar, but kinda different box next to that" "Steve (my apologies to all Steves, first name that popped into my head), put down the Game Boy and get back to work."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The ATX said:

LOL.  Y'all are getting spoiled in Nashville just like us in Austin.  No new project is tall enough, and every design is boring.

Right?  The thing takes up a whole block and actually looks like it might be active at the street level.  I'd rather have a half dozen of these than some architect's mental-masturbation sculpture in the sky stuck in an isolated plaza.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The ATX said:

Put me on the "happy with the design" list. It looks nice! Good height! Impressed, because I didn't have high hopes for this before! And it will be a great location for a Whole Paycheck (Foods)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

The more I look at the design, the uglier it gets. I do not like the Interstate facing side and the 12th ave side looks like another glass box. Do we not deserve better than this ....Just my honest opinion guys.

Totally agreed.  Whoever designed this clearly is not passionate about their job as an architect.  

• Like 2