1200 Broadway (27 stories, 313 residential units, 66,000 sq. ft. office, 46,000 sq. ft. Whole Foods, 485 capacity garage)

claya91

So...how much are the city's height restrictions playing a part in some of these designs?  Obviously, if someone wanted to build something with significant height in an area that only currently allows 20 stories, that would probably dissuade them from attempting to get 50 stories approved.  Once you start having to spread the development outward instead of upward, it would seem some of the enticement of making a beautiful structure that stands out would disappear, except maybe at ground level (which is great, of course).

For some reason, if I look at the design of this building as a single building that is half covered by a sort of glass shroud, rather than two disconnected designs side by side, it somehow makes it seem more interesting.  Haha...I'm not quite sure why.  

7 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The more I look at the design, the uglier it gets. I do not like the Interstate facing side and the 12th ave side looks like another glass box. Do we not deserve better than this ....Just my honest opinion guys.

With all due respect, what do expect from an out of town developer? Endeavor is not here to build us a stunning piece of architecture; they are here to make a buck

10 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

In most fields, doing good work is conducive to making a buck, I don't know why architecture would be different?

Because like in all businesses, what the client wants, they get. The client wants a building that functions for their use, within their budget. If one architect can't supply that, another will. 

This is having the money for a Mazda and expecting a Range Rover to produce itself in 24 months. 

20 minutes ago, troyboytn said:

While many of you complain about the design, just remember that there are folks in Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham. etc who would be completely ecstatic to have have this built in their city...

QFT. Memphis has been waiting on One Beale, the city's only legitimate tower proposal in the past decade, to get off the ground.

This is by no means an architectural marvel, but as others have said, it sure beats a dealership.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, troyboytn said:

While many of you complain about the design, just remember that there are folks in Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham. etc who would be completely ecstatic to have have this built in their city...

Eh...I think "ecstatic" might be pushing it.  haha...but yes, you're right.  We should be more appreciative of all the development happening.  It's just that since our city is lucky enough to be booming so much right now, we hold the cards here.  It isn't like it was twenty years ago where developers would come with a long list of demands and the city would give in because they were just happy to be noticed.  Developers are tripping over each other to build projects here, and so as a result, the city and the people that live in it hold the cards now.  If the city were to say, 'go back and design it again' they would, because they want to be here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

The architecture of these latest buildings isn't as bad as we (collectively) think.  When people think about their city's architecture, they see all the warts and forget the good or great proposals.  When people think about another city's architecture, they immediately think about that city's great architectural pieces and forget about the junk that was built.  We tend to downplay solid architectural works (JWM, Thompson Hotel, Sobro Apartments) and remember the boxes (TwelveTwelve, Michael Hayes Tower, etc.).

I would agree and add Synovus Bank building in the Gulch to that list. Love that box!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, farm_boy said:

Ouch. Point taken.

So why is this happening? City codes? (Lack of) competition? Cost points?

Yours truly,

Puzzled

Developers are willing to spend more money in Austin than in Nashville.

Renters are willing to spend more money in Austin than in Nashville.

Banks are willing to spend more money in Austin than in Nashville. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arkitekte said:

Developers are willing to spend more money in Austin than in Nashville.

Renters are willing to spend more money in Austin than in Nashville.

Banks are willing to spend more money in Austin than in Nashville. 

Yes... also, Austin is this particular developer's hometown.  We've seen that Nashville developers habitually build boring, bland boxes. Some of that (no doubt) related to "value engineering" because they can't get as much funding as say an Austin or Atlanta developer. So look at the local yokels like Eakin (box on Demonbreun, box on Music Row Roundabout, Suntrust Plaza, and now box at Vanderbilt); Emery (boxes in Cool Springs; proposed boxes at old CC site); Hayes (box going up at Second Avenue); Hensler (with 1212, but was not boxy with Adelicia);  Marketstreet (Icon, Gulch Crossing); Even Giarratana has a track record of going boxy (Cumberland, Viridian, Encore), despite promises to the contrary and his latest Sobro. Maybe 505 won't look as boxy as renderings appear. But my point is that the locals go boxy nearly all the time. So if the locals aren't building much visually interesting, then why should the out-of-towners feel any need to outdo them? 

Contrast to the out of towners: Barry (Pinnacle); Turnberry and Crescent; Westin developers; And now NCI and Smithfield. Childress Klein (boxy but not 4-sided); even Novare has broken from their boxy mode (somewhat) by adding steps to the top of their Skyhouse. Even Highwoods (although building to a client's wishes) has managed to morph 3 boxes together into something somewhat interesting with pairs of fins on the roof. Just making an observation.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

Jamil Alam of Endeavor Real Estate does a Q&A about the new building.  In the intro to the article, it states that it will be 362 apartments--I believe that's the first time the amount has been declared.

Alam also says, "We're targeting a fourth-quarter groundbreaking and it will be a 24- or 25-month construction, so we wouldn't be open until late 2018 or early 2019." Additionally he makes some comparisons between the Austin (where he is based) and Nashville development scenes.  Full interview here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/05/05/q-a-the-developer-bringing-whole-foods-to.html?s=print

• Like 1