1200 Broadway (27 stories, 313 residential units, 66,000 sq. ft. office, 46,000 sq. ft. Whole Foods, 485 capacity garage)

claya91

8 hours ago, Nashcago said:

I agree with MLBrumby's comment. I've lived in Chicago now for 5 years, and as much as I love the height of some of the existing, under construction, and proposed buildings, they don't necessarily make for great neighborhoods. The loop, Streeterville, River North, etc. are great, but by far the best neighborhoods are Lincoln Park, Lakeview, West Loop , Wicker Park, etc. which are full of midrise buildings and lots of good urban density. The sidewalks are busy, there's ample street activity and businesses, and it feels the most lively, inviting, and walk-able. Though some new height would be great for Nashville, I LOVE how large the walk-able, urban area extends out from downtown. It makes for a much more interesting and lively city than having a handful of taller buildings in the core.  Look at European cities... very few true skyscrapers compared to American cities, but they're often times much more "alive" and pedestrian friendly and memorable because of the density and street activity. I'm beyond thrilled that Nashville continues to add density and urbanity. Now if we can just get something other than boxy buildings... 

I totally agree.  My favorite cities in the United States and Europe don't have any skyscrapers.

I didn't really acknowledge this until today, but when driving on West End into Downtown it looks like you're heading straight to the AT+T building on West End. That won't be the case once this one is finished and I only noticed earlier this afternoon as I was doing my rounds.

image.thumb.png.13b00def06d34998fd2297648ae7a459.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 5:42 PM, FromParkAveToTN said:

I totally agree.  My favorite cities in the United States and Europe don't have any skyscrapers.

Tall buildings are best seen from a distance and give an assessment of the size and wealth of that city. European mid-rises are often older buildings and come with architectural niceties not seen in our newer mid-rises.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

The drive up West End/Broadway from Vandy into downtown will be completely transformed by the Graduate Hotel/apartments, Broadwest and Endeavor.  And these buildings will make Nashville look like a city who has outgrown its downtown as you drive into downtown on I-40 East.

Just wait until a couple of other projects are announced on that corridor.  Gonna be a nice change if they all come to fruition.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1