1200 Broadway (27 stories, 313 residential units, 66,000 sq. ft. office, 46,000 sq. ft. Whole Foods, 485 capacity garage)

claya91

Looks like cheap blinds on a ranch-style house from the 70s. I know I'm in the minority but I don't understand why we pay so much to incentivize these crappy non-functional facades just to poorly disguise the amount of the building that's devoted to car storage. In my experience they're actually less pleasant from inside the garage too, a bunch of rusty bolted-on pieces that obstruct the view. Why not just own it and design it around what it's being used for?

brisac-gonzalez-architects-carpark-housing-designboom501.jpg

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

Still can't believe the city allowed them to leave the garages like that.

This might have also been a fire protection thing. I forget where in the code, but if you leave open garages you typically do not need to sprinkler them. Once you begin to enclose or cut off the movement of natural air flow, fire protection becomes a problem. Besides, these butt up to the highway, why should they enclose them?

This might have also been a fire protection thing. I forget where in the code, but if you leave open garages you typically do not need to sprinkler them. Once you begin to enclose or cut off the movement of natural air flow, fire protection becomes a problem. Besides, these butt up to the highway, why should they enclose them?

It was not. It was a cost savings measure and the city allowed it to happen at our front door.

2 hours ago, Buildtall said:

I see them almost every morning and they look fine . It’s a parking garage and it looks like a parking garage. 

Yeah... I'm not really sure what people are expecting developers to do.  People complain when they leave their parking garages looking like parking garages, and people complain when they put decorative panels on their parking garages.  Maybe the problem is the concept of the above ground parking garage pedestal in the first place.  There is only so much you can do to make it appealing to the eye.

• Like 4

I bought a house right off of Music Row.  The back yard had an ugly chain link fence.  I checked into prices to replace it with something better and gulped.  I ended up hiring a company to coat the fence with some type of black material...then place a black mesh screen over it.  In the end, it looked amazing and cost WAY less than a new fence.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about on garages.  It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy.  Just something more than an open garage.  And...it doesn't have to happen everywhere...but there are obvious places in town where the garage should be covered in some way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10th on the South side of Broadway isn’t really a street, though, it’s more of an entrance to Union Station and the Frist.     The light is positioned there, but there isn’t a significant amount of traffic moving north/south across Broadway there.    Point being, I don’t think there is much urgency to realign the intersection.     

• Like 2

Do you have an illustration of vid capture of the streets aligned? I have not noticed.

I did grab some captures from the recently posted video from Nashville Yards and it does not show the streets aligned...

31 minutes ago, rjgo said:

Regardless if there is urgency or not, the Nashville Yards folks have mentioned many times that part of their project is aligning the street, and it's also aligned in all of their renderings.

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 10.01.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 10.02.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 10.02.33 AM.png