1200 Broadway (27 stories, 313 residential units, 66,000 sq. ft. office, 46,000 sq. ft. Whole Foods, 485 capacity garage)

claya91

1 hour ago, Craiger said:

This has turned into some sort of weird urban vs exurban argument. The original question was basically “what will these develops do when they realize nobody wants to live there” and I think it’s fairly obvious that’s not going to happen. Nashville is not going to have empty 30 story apartment building in the near future. 

More than anything...it's not a contest...it's just that thankfully Nashville's metro has options for everyone...which is awesome!  Not all cities have as many options as us in so many different price ranges within a 30 minute drive of downtown.  If you want a really nice condo DT...we have it.  If you want an awesome house across the river in E. Nashville...it's there.  If you want land and a nice house and nice schools within 30 minutes of DT in all directions...there's ample choices.  If you want a huge, 100 acre horse farm...we have them.  Big mansion in Belle Meade...done.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

And yet there are far more single family houses in the burbs being built than there are high-rise flats being built downtown.  I'm sure many of AllianceBernstein's executives will prefer to live downtown, but I'm equally sure that many--particularly those with families--will use this move to Nashville as an opportunity to live in a large house in a nice suburb with good schools and room for gardens and pools, something they could never have in NYC.  Speaking just from what I know, I can see Mt Juliet really reaping the benefit as it has beautifully upscale neighborhoods, excellent schools, and a commuter train that deposits people just a couple of blocks away from AllianceBernstein's HQ downtown.  There are already a lot of Bridgestone executives who've made the move to MJ and take the train into town, and I bet there will be more than a few AB workers who will do likewise.

Respectfully, I'm not quite sure what the bolded bit has to do with the conversation at hand, as if I understood the conversation correctly, we were talking specifically about people from AB or Amazon transferring to Nashville in the future who are already living in urban environments currently.  Of course the suburban home appeals to more people in the Nashville area overall, but if someone is moving here from New York City then I'd assume it's safe to say that they prefer living in an urban area as opposed to suburban areas given the fact that these hypothetical folks chose to live in NYC previously and not, say, East Hanover or Greenwich.  

Edited by BnaBreaker

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Respectfully, I'm not quite sure what the bolded bit has to do with the conversation at hand, as if I understood the conversation correctly, we were talking specifically about people from AB or Amazon transferring to Nashville in the future who are already living in urban environments currently.  Of course the suburban home appeals to more people in the Nashville area overall, but if someone is moving here from New York City then I'd assume it's safe to say that they prefer living in an urban area as opposed to suburban areas given the fact that these hypothetical folks chose to live in NYC previously and not, say, East Hanover or Greenwich.  

You never know.  Sometimes they choose the job more than just the city.  I would imagine most will want the more urban styled living...but I'm sure some are excited about having a chance to own something substantial outside of Davidson County with land, horses, etc because maybe they weren't able to get that in NYC.  Plus...for what they were spending in NYC, they can probably get a nice horse farm in Leiper's Fork.  But again...I think you're also right that most are going to want to stay in DT.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

Correct! I mistakenly thought the rent @Craiger posted was for The Place at 5th & Broad. which brought the A-B transfers specifically to mind.

It's my experience that executives  who relocate from NYC/the largest cities are actually more apt to buy a suburban house when moving to a place like Nashville. I saw this as a kid in Atlanta. Many will sell houses or apartments in NYC and most likely buy in TN. When they see how far their money goes and the commute from the suburbs is nothing like where they're moving from, they'll choose to live out of downtown. There will even be many who are currently paying $4000+ for a cracker box and will choose to buy with a yard because it's an option they'll suddenly have. Amazon and other companies in the tech sector will have a larger contingent who choose to live downtown b/c they'll skew younger (w/o kids).

• Like 4

On 9/26/2019 at 8:33 AM, nashvylle said:

If I am Endeavor, I am hoping nothing is built on former Tennessean site anytime soon. 

As a Nashville urban enthusiast, I hope something breaks ground tomorrow!

This is a good point.  But from the pictures that have been posted of the Tennessean site it appears that lot is so deep they could build to the north of Endeavor and not block their view.  That would be mutually beneficial, but who knows if developers consider such things when they unleash the architects.

As nashvylle said, bring it on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

Just curious, but is there any concrete timetable on the actual opening of the Whole Foods? The “late this year, early next year” is getting old. Drawings should be into codes for even “early next year”, you’d think.

January is my understanding. Whole Foods employee here. 

• Like 2