How will the downtown apartment market shake out?

GRDadof3

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, lighthousedave said:

Was just by there las night and noticed them.   I love the design.  Stay tuned...the Kent County Land Bank is about to come out with some new town home designs that are really different, very modern.  When we make our announcement I will post renderings on UP.  Please be kind everyone...who am I kidding x99 is going to hate them...:tw_angry:

Not x99,.. He won't like it, he hates everything.

image.JPG

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Looking forward to seeing them. What area? 

Several different sites on the SE side in 5 different neighborhoods.  Working out the numbers right now.  Doing zero lot line row homes and single family homes.  The concept is a real efficient well laid out design where the floor plan for each is exactly the same but the exterior treatment can differ greatly...so much so that one would not be able to tell they are the same home.  Working out final design, and more important cost and end value.  Should be ready in early Feb.

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

What do you think of the new townhouses behind Fulton Place? On the West Side? Too modern? 

This is about the only picture I could find:

30668731035_fd8a2ddc7f_m.jpg

Unless I have one. Maybe I have one. 

The design seems to be better than a lot of recent "modern" style designs, from what I can see in that tiny picture.   That said, I think they may age poorly.  I've explained this before, but my big concern with urban architecture is that we don't wind up with things that are regrettable in 10 or 20 years.  Funky and trendy sells, but not for long.  It simply is not a good, sustainable building practice when a more traditional design would bring the same rents and require less long-term capital input.  

The primary building on the corner of Fulton and Carlton will never be regrettable and scuzzy looking.  I suspect these will be, and will need a major facade reno in order to avoid a huge rent drop.  

17 hours ago, MJLO said:

Just make it a big gaudy castle in the suburbs and you will be fine!  He will like it :D

Hey now... Stop raggin' on the castle!  I think I had some harsh words for that one too... Like they should have added more and taller towers. ;)

Here's a larger version of the aforementioned townhomes. 

I don't think they're that bad. The gray panels in the middle sections can probably be changed out relatively inexpensively down the road to give them a whole new look. To be honest though, it's an odd choice of brick color. Classic red-orange but mixed with gray? 

I hate everything apparently. :)

31194495302_fce903d9f7_b.jpg

9 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Curmudgeon Old Ale is one of my Favorites from Founders....just sayin'

download.jpg

The three of us alone have been on this site for more than a decade. We've earned our Curmudgeon status. We should all go to Founders and have a Curmudgeon to celebrate. :alc:

Here's the Eastown project. Man, those power poles! I assume some of them are temporary?

DSC_0908.JPG

DSC_0907.JPG

54 minutes ago, gvsusean said:

Here here, i think im at 12 years now?

Sounds like a great idea. Founders on the 14th, 15th or 16th? Obviously open to anyone @joeDowntown @lighthousedave  @mpchicago (are you still in Chicago?) :)  I'd love to see @x99 there too.

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sounds like a great idea. Founders on the 14th, 15th or 16th? Obviously open to anyone @joeDowntown @lighthousedave  @mpchicago (are you still in Chicago?) :)  I'd love to see @x99 there too.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending how you look at it, I'm still in Chicago. Have a Curmudgeon....or a Backwoods for me!

(Funny...it won't let me type B-A-S-T-A-R-D! :huh: :lol:

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here's the Eastown project. Man, those power poles! I assume some of them are temporary?

DSC_0908.JPG

DSC_0907.JPG

14th and 15th are perfect for me.  I'd say let's set it up.

51 minutes ago, wingbert said:

I'll second that.  It's a bummer when an afternoon is dragging and I visit here and there are no updated topics.  Also, I checked, I don't get my 10 year pin until February.

I'm sorry to tell you that that means you have a life. :)

45 minutes ago, lighthousedave said:

14th and 15th are perfect for me.  I'd say let's set it up.

How about the Fourteenth at Four, Founders? 

It's open to anyone here so maybe I should start a new thread? 

Archived