D7 Exclusion

Sparkleman

Not sure where to put it but D7 had a 5th grade "dance" at the Piedmont Club last week. Is this where our tax dollars are going?

This is major league bull sh*t!!! Hope all you SHS new school lovers enjoy this, but the rest of us tax paying folk don't agree.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love to know who doled about the dough for this worthless activity?

Yet another reason to blow off D7 schools. If I were deciding where to move and send my kids to school, D7 would have to be last on the list with all their "uppity" crap. Its been going on since I was there (70's & early 80's) and continues to this day.

My wife (D2 grad) fails to understand the love for SHS and its "exclusive" policies. I too am mystified.

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain why the new elementary school will cost $36 million.  I personally know an administrator for the new D2 elementary opening in the fall on Parris Bridge Road who felt pressured that that school was costing $23 million.  What exactly does the extra $13 million get?  The two are of similar size, and the D2 school will have attractive architecture and all the latest amenities.  And don't even get me started on the ridiculous price tag on the high school.

Seriously considering a move out of D7.  And if I don't move, seriously considering sending my kids to a neighboring district.

How is the "dance" exclusive? If it wasn't paid for by tax dollars then I don't see a problem with it.

For what it's worth, any of you should be able to contact D7 and request the details they have about the cost estimates they have for the school buildings. It's public information, so they have to provide it to you if you ask.

The dance was paid for by a member of the Piedmont Club who has a child in school. The entire 5th grade was invited at no cost to anyone

that chose to attend. Its a shame that you can't do something nice for kids that may never get the chance for something like this without getting

bashed. Let me know which events you participate in and I'll tell you what I think of your endeavors.

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

For what it's worth, any of you should be able to contact D7 and request the details they have about the cost estimates they have for the school buildings. It's public information, so they have to provide it to you if you ask.

I have and only received generic line-item estimates, similar to what was provided in the propaganda information sessions prior to the vote.  No real detail on what it really entails, and certainly no comparisons given to other recently-built schools of similar size.

Tell me how this is "transparent"? (from the D7 website):

Building Construction $22,900,000 Includes:

New Elementary School with Gym or Cafetorium $21,000,000

Playgrounds, Physical Education & Multipurpose fields $ 1,900,000

Add in $3.8 million for "site improvements", $4.3 million for "other costs" and a $3 million contingency, you get a $36 million boondoggle/slush fund.  Gee, good thing the land was "given" to them!

I don't want to get into another online debate about the plan.  I was and still am opposed to it, but that ship has sailed.  Apparently the information given was good enough for 63% approval.  

Your right about the website, but what I'm suggesting is that you contact them and request the formal cost estimates that were used to develop the bond listings. Those things aren't always posted publicly, but I guarantee you it's out there and they would have to provide it to you if you ask for it because they are a public agency. 

For what it's worth, this type of thing is why I don't like having the schools independent from the County government. 

On 5/19/2016 at 10:21 PM, Sparkleman said:

Not sure where to put it but D7 had a 5th grade "dance" at the Piedmont Club last week. Is this where our tax dollars are going?

This is major league bull sh*t!!! Hope all you SHS new school lovers enjoy this, but the rest of us tax paying folk don't agree.

I believe that most of the county High Schools had an off campus DANCE this year. It is called a PROM. My H.S. had ours in the gym and it sucked. Not sure why you are complaining about a 5th grade dance that was NOT paid by the tax payers and the entire grade was invited.....really? .    

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 4:51 PM, drexel said:

I believe that most of the county High Schools had an off campus DANCE this year. It is called a PROM. My H.S. had ours in the gym and it sucked. Not sure why you are complaining about a 5th grade dance that was NOT paid by the tax payers and the entire grade was invited.....really? .    

Slow down pal, I just found out that for once our tax dollars were NOT involved so they can do whatever the hell they want on somebody else's dime.

As for finding out specific costs, you can forget that right now as that info is not privy to anyone unless you are involved in the project. The group against the new school (which I was involved with) repeatedly asked for specific numbers before and again after the vote but were given the general BS like what was posted above. I especially like this part:

"Add in $3.8 million for "site improvements", $4.3 million for "other costs" and a $3 million contingency". Good luck finding out specifics on that whether its supposed to be public or not. Unless you have the combination to Booker's safe, you can forget this.

Another thing that they didn't tell you unless you went to that last meeting was they borrowed as much as they possibly could because they still owe on a previous bond. Were it not for that, the tax would have been higher.

Oh and if you live in D7, your property values are going to go up because of the new school. Tell that to the folks in Beaumont, Whitney, Hillcrest, Hillbrook, and Fernwood.

Like flopshotter I am now done with the topic and D7 as well.

On 5/25/2016 at 9:21 AM, Sparkleman said:

Slow down pal, I just found out that for once our tax dollars were NOT involved so they can do whatever the hell they want on somebody else's dime.

As for finding out specific costs, you can forget that right now as that info is not privy to anyone unless you are involved in the project. The group against the new school (which I was involved with) repeatedly asked for specific numbers before and again after the vote but were given the general BS like what was posted above. I especially like this part:

"Add in $3.8 million for "site improvements", $4.3 million for "other costs" and a $3 million contingency". Good luck finding out specifics on that whether its supposed to be public or not. Unless you have the combination to Booker's safe, you can forget this.

Another thing that they didn't tell you unless you went to that last meeting was they borrowed as much as they possibly could because they still owe on a previous bond. Were it not for that, the tax would have been higher.

Oh and if you live in D7, your property values are going to go up because of the new school. Tell that to the folks in Beaumont, Whitney, Hillcrest, Hillbrook, and Fernwood.

Like flopshotter I am now done with the topic and D7 as well.

I actually did vote against the D7 bond issue and have publicly criticized the administration for wasting money. But I think that the majority of teachers are excellent and for the most part is a strong academic district. My son went to Pine Street, McCracken, and Spartanburg H.S. Our experience has been great. Not sure what you mean by exclusion. Being VERY middle class I am happy that most rich folks in D7 send their kids to public school. We lived in the (close in) outskirts of Atlanta where the vast majority send their kids to private schools. I grew up in NC where my hometown public schools are now average at best, partly because upper/middle class folks are also opting for private schools. I guess I do not understand why this specific negative topic warrants a separate Urban Planet topic.

Archived