Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

Thought I'd create a new thread to consolidate the discussions around infill projects and new development in Winter Park and Maitland.

Bungalower reported today that Millenia-Partners plans to construct a new office building on New England Ave across from the BoA Building (Luma on Park):

13.jpg

http://bungalower.com/2016/05/18/53000-sf-office-retail-building-coming-downtown-winter-park/

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 2

$2 million buys you a beautifully-designed townhome on an island right outside of downtown Ft. Lauderfale on a deep water canal. I can't fathom paying the same for a generic looking townhouse in Winter Park yet I'm sure they'll sell every last one of them. Winter Park haa done an amazing job branding itself to be able to obtain those prices.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GTR said:

$2 million buys you a beautifully-designed townhome on an island right outside of downtown Ft. Lauderfale on a deep water canal. I can't fathom paying the same for a generic looking townhouse in Winter Park yet I'm sure they'll sell every last one of them. Winter Park haa done an amazing job branding itself to be able to obtain those prices.

Many of the condos are designed so people can downsize to them from a large suburban house, and age in place - elevators, showers without a ledge, easily-reachable cabinets, etc.  With the walkability of Winter Park relative to most other areas of the region, it's a very attractive place to spend your later days.

11 hours ago, HankStrong said:

$2M can buy you an entire paradisiac island in the Bahamas.

Yes very true, but I was trying to go for more an apples to apples comparison.

3 hours ago, smileguy said:

Many of the condos are designed so people can downsize to them from a large suburban house, and age in place - elevators, showers without a ledge, easily-reachable cabinets, etc.  With the walkability of Winter Park relative to most other areas of the region, it's a very attractive place to spend your later days.

Same can be said for the ones in Ft. Lauderdale. Just add better shopping, restaurants, view and water.

13 hours ago, Dale said:

They appeared to be doing work on the site today.

Yes, the site has been busy and no plans have changed for the buildings. The fight is over the re-development of Independence Lane, the street that will have the retail shops and restaurants facing it. The city tried to cut costs from the original vision and finally decided to scrap the existing plan and hire a new developer to come up with something less expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Maitland town center was supposed to begin construction on June 6.

Also, major site work at the mutli-unit complex across from Mercedes of Orlando just up the street.

Also, the Whole Foods building at Lee Rd. & 17/92 looks close to done including paving and the extension of Lee Rd.  All that seems to remain to be done is for crews to demolish the sidewalk at Lee Rd.  The extension onto the property is already paved.  Also, I think they are replacing the overhead utility lights.

Also, an upscale Ace Hardware-type store from California (Orchard Hardware) is being planned for the tract between Miller and Indiana on 17/92, just south of Krispy Kreme.  It will take up the entire tract to the east of the townehouses at Shultz.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just drove up 17-92 through both cities - pretty amazing amount of stuff happenkng.    The new strip where the Mount Vernon was...the Whole Foods, it looks like there is work happening in the KMart plaza on Lee/1792...then all of the things happening in Maitland.

• Like 1

LYNX runs bus service from the Central Station up Orange to WP Village then up 17-92 through Maitland....every 20-30 minutes all day long.   From LYNX station to the Starbucks in Maitland is a 35 minute trip versus 20 minutes on SunRail.   

That will slow down as traffic worsens but looking at how much development is street front, we have a super viable transit corridor connecting 3 cities.   A team of some kind would be great to connect 17-92 to Park Ave and really make the car the worst way to travel assuming you start in an urban area.

• Like 1

Transit has a long way to go. I've been making a thoughtful effort to try transit vs car whenever planning trips around the city. In many cases, and this is not an exaggeration, transit will be as long as 2 hours vs 20 minutes of driving. It's a cluster.

Looking forward a few decades of transit oriented development.

This is why you don't wait 100 years to think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Where are you trying to go that takes that long?  And from where?

Longwood, places like that. On a weekday, if you can time SunRail (good luck if you need to go during off-peak), you might pull it off in 1h15m. On a weekend? Multiple buses and you're lucky to do it under 2 hours. You'll also spend a lot of time walking in the Florida heat without shelter (30-45 minutes of it). You can drive it in 20. 30-40 if you get screwed on I-4.

It is much better near SunRail stops, but much of the city isn't built near SunRail stops.

Edited by castorvx
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Questions on the ID's of two new construction projects in Winter, both at the foundation stage, one at the SE corner of Orlando (17-92) and Lee, diagonal from Rivaudage. One on the NW corner of Orlando and Indiana, about where the Eat More Produce used to be.

And, in Maitland, does anyone have renderings of the appts going in north of the Publix on the east side of 17-92.  Lots of heavy equipment moved onto the site over the last week.

Edited by cwetteland

• 3 months later...