Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, cwetteland said:

Hilton Garden is on Lee Rd.  (as you described).   Springhill Suites is on 17-92 just south  of U-Haul.  Yes; both in Ravaudage.  Both have coming soon signs ... one on Lee and one on 17-92.

I'm replying in the Ravaudage thread

• 3 weeks later...

GAP announced today it will be closing over half of its namesake stores in 2019 and 2020.

Meanwhile, it’s spinning off its more successful Old Navy division.

The interesting question is whether the Park Ave. store will be among those to close. Retail along the avenue has been fading out for years in favor of food and drink.

Thankfully, Miller’s Hardware seems to be as strong as ever but it would be a tragedy for Winter Park’s famous main drag to become just another foodie haunt.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gap-to-close-230-stores-2019-2

From Business Insider 

• 2 weeks later...

You have two chances to put your two cents in on what Orange Avenue should look like between the Fairbanks split and just past US 17-92.

Winter Parkers are never shy about telling folks what they think so get ready to go to the mat with the upper crust at these public meetings:

https://bungalower.com/2019/03/13/winter-park-asking-public-for-feedback-on-development-of-orange-avenue/

From Bungalower

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Skycraft Parts And Surplus onW. Fairbanks Ave. is up for sale. The most notable loss is the rocket and UFO attached to the building. Definitely the end of an era though they’re just moving a block or so away (zoning won’t allow the space-age funkiness outside the new location).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-skycraft-winter-park-relocating-20190501-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Wow wow wow.  That is my stomping ground for nearly 20 years.  I've been in there when guys in briefcases walked up to the counter and asked the cashier for the owner.  The ornery lady (if you've been there enough you know who she is) just told them.  "You're not the first person to come here like this, and the answer will always be no".  I was so thrown when they turned the store 90 degrees a few years back.  I'm shocked that they've made that announcement.  I'm kind of surprised that they're moving to the warehouse since being in there, it didn't strike me as particularly customer friendly (less parking than what the store has and being a warehouse, its full of tall shelves you can't reach.)  I don't know what to say about that.  Losing all the weird decor is another major loss.  I'd love to see it at the new location, but unfortunately you're right I don't think it can happen.  

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

Now that it seems the library will be moving, discussion begins on what to do with the old one downtown:

https://bungalower.com/2019/05/05/city-of-winter-park-begins-visioning-process-for-old-library-site/

From Bungalower 

One interesting possibility is for City Hall to move into the old library space. That would free up a significant chunk of real estate on Park Ave.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Now that it seems the library will be moving, discussion begins on what to do with the old one downtown:

https://bungalower.com/2019/05/05/city-of-winter-park-begins-visioning-process-for-old-library-site/

From Bungalower 

One interesting possibility is for City Hall to move into the old library space. That would free up a significant chunk of real estate on Park Ave.

That would make a good city hall building. I just hope they don't tear it down as usually happens nowadays.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The Maitland/I-4 pedestrian bridge has been redesigned and scaled back in order to compensate for construction delays and minimize future ones.

The original design...

3690581442001_6022664029001_550676172600

Has been changed to....

maitpedbridge.jpg

Oh my, that’s rather generic. I shudder to think what would have become of St. Louis’ Gateway Arch If It were being built in Orlando.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The Maitland/I-4 pedestrian bridge has been redesigned and scaled back in order to compensate for construction delays and minimize future ones.

The original design...

3690581442001_6022664029001_550676172600

Has been changed to....

maitpedbridge.jpg

Unacceptable. I want my money back.