Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

Interesting article about how the WP city commissioners plan to navigate the NIMBYs and BANANAs going forward.

Most fascinating to me was that it appears the city finally wants to move forward on Progress Point along Orange Ave. It's way past time they decide how to redevelop that intersection.

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/winter-park-city-commissioners-weigh-in-on-development-and-preserving-the-citys-charm

From Orange Observer

• 3 weeks later...

Phase 1 of the Denning Drive Complete Streets project is nearing completion. With 17-92 getting busier everyday, glad to see some love for this Westside WP alternative.

http://www.thedailycity.com/2018/01/photos-denning-drive-complete-streets.html?utm_source=daily+city&utm_campaign=228c35f901-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_02_07&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0cea5abdd5-228c35f901-326712213&m=1

From The Daily City

• Like 3

On 1/22/2018 at 7:30 PM, spenser1058 said:

Phase 1 of the Denning Drive Complete Streets project is nearing completion. With 17-92 getting busier everyday, glad to see some love for this Westside WP alternative.

http://www.thedailycity.com/2018/01/photos-denning-drive-complete-streets.html?utm_source=daily+city&utm_campaign=228c35f901-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_02_07&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0cea5abdd5-228c35f901-326712213&m=1

From The Daily City

It's nice.  

On 1/27/2018 at 12:28 PM, prahaboheme said:

I think the devil is in the details on this one. The small ornate touches look to be well executed. It has a Santa Barbara flair, IMO - understated elegance.

definitely Santa Barbara.  IMO, every one of these types of projects in the heart of WP just elevates the place even more.  Keep bringing them on.  That latest set of townhomes is still U/C at the north end of the retail strip on Park Ave., north of Morse.  Those are looking really nice.

It's not bad, but personally, I'm more of a fan of this kind of thing...

O5407138_1.jpg?2015-12-02

Or this...

01-park-hill-rendering.jpg

Maybe not so much the mansard roof, but the exterior materials and overall style.

I'm of the opinion that there's too much of that Mediterranean/Mission style, whitewashed, clay tile roof architecture around here already.

JMHO, though. 

Your mileage may vary, as they say. ;)

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of Med Revival myself, although I think it elicits such a negative reaction in part because of how cheaply/badly it's often executed.  But I also find it, if not cheap,  somewhat tacky...and often both.

I love Mission architecture though, and I love this project - I certainly see a distinct difference. Perhaps they share a father, but Mission's mother was Art Deco and Med's mother was Beaux-Arts (a style I do enjoy in the right context...but, not all attractive parents produce attractive children). I love Mission's clean lines and elegant simplicity. 

• Like 2

While we're on that side of town, I'd like to weigh in on the demise of the Christian Science church and its  replacement with the condo project.

First, I agree completely with prahaboheme that the condos seem to be a quality project. I guess my concern is more that I hate to risk the loss of the ambiance of that part of Winter Park.

From the beginning, WP was different from the way Orlando grew up as a traditional Southern town. WP's developers were from New England and envisioned plopping a Yankee village right down in the middle of a Florida swamp. 

Remarkably, they succeeded (in the original Circlevision film at WDW, "America the Beautiful," there was a scene of a "church on a peaceful village green" that reminded me a lot of that part of WP but was actually in Vermont.)

Of course, the dynamic changed when Rollins decided to go "Full Mizner" and, slowly, but surely,  that aesthetic seems to be taking over. 

The area around the church and the golf course seemed to be resisting the change and I must say I liked the pocket of that older sensibility as a nod to the town's history.

We already have Coral Gables and Boca Raton so I'd hate for WP to just mimic them. Hopefully, it will all work out.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

While we're on that side of town, I'd like to weigh in on the demise of the Christian Science church and it's replacement with the condo project.

We already have Coral Gables and Boca Raton so I'd hate for WP to just mimic them. Hopefully, it will all work out.

Yeah, that's a big part of my beef with the design.

Too much resemblance to a commonly seen style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2018 at 7:33 AM, spenser1058 said:

Interesting article about how the WP city commissioners plan to navigate the NIMBYs and BANANAs going forward.

Most fascinating to me was that it appears the city finally wants to move forward on Progress Point along Orange Ave. It's way past time they decide how to redevelop that intersection.

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/winter-park-city-commissioners-weigh-in-on-development-and-preserving-the-citys-charm

From Orange Observer

I have been crying for a few years now how they need to develop that 6-way intersection with at least 3-story buildings to frame the intersection.  They've already got that awesome clock there.