Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

Will Park Ave. lose its GAP? If it does, will anyone notice? The street's getting a little heavy on eateries lately, so I'd hate to lose it for that reason alone.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/11/21/gap-to-close-hundreds-of-stores-at-malls-quickly-and-aggressively.html

From CNBC

Edited by spenser1058
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Will Park Ave. lose its GAP? If it does, will anyone notice? The street's getting a little heavy on eateries lately, so I'd hate to lose it for that reason alone.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/11/21/gap-to-close-hundreds-of-stores-at-malls-quickly-and-aggressively.html

From CNBC

Wouldn’t be a shock. Does anyone shop at GAP anymore? While it would be nice for it to be replaced by a more popular low cost retailer like ZARA or Primark, these retailers tend to stick to malls.

Begs the question if Park Ave will eventually become a victim of its own success - as rents soar and retail decreases, who will fill the empty storefronts?

At the moment, Park Ave continues to be one of the most successful main streets in the country (and easily Florida’s).

• Like 1

While the dynamics for why Worth Ave even exists is a totally separate discussion, I do think the Old Hyde Park Village comparison is interesting to Winter Park.

Would WP ever allow a semi-open air mall development on Park Ave or around it?

The only possible location for it would be as a replacement for City Hall, which they don’t show a willingness to move and replace.  In the long run, that may help save Park Ave from an eventual lack of retail but I’d wager that shortsightedness prevails.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

While the dynamics for why Worth Ave even exists is a totally separate discussion, I do think the Old Hyde Park Village comparison is interesting to Winter Park.

Would WP ever allow a semi-open air mall development on Park Ave or around it?

The only possible location for it would be as a replacement for City Hall, which they don’t show a willingness to move and replace.  In the long run, that may help save Park Ave from an eventual lack of retail but I’d wager that shortsightedness prevails.

I think you nailed it with the shortsightedness. Trying to get WP to agree on anything is almost impossible. The only solutions I see would be if they went to a strong-mayor form of government and there'd probably be bloodshed at the public hearings involved to accomplish that.

The other thing is that Roger Holler has long controlled the real estate along the avenue as well as a good portion of downtown generally. He's not getting any younger and has been mostly content to sit back and collect huge rent checks for years.

I don't know if his holdings are passed to some scion of the family who has the warm fuzzies for Winter Park or if it gets sold off in pieces.

What I do know is that it was wealthy families in Winter Garden (the Ropers and Chicones) whose passionate interest in bringing Plant St. back from the dead made much of what has happened there possible. One can only hope for that in the next generation of Winter Park.

Edited by spenser1058

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I think you nailed it with the shortsightedness. Trying to get WP to agree on anything is almost impossible. The only solutions I see would be if they went to a strong-mayor form of government and there'd probably be bloodshed at the public hearings involved to accomplish that.

The other thing is that Roger Holler has long controlled the real estate along the avenue as well as a good portion of downtown generally. He's not getting any younger and has been mostly content to sit back and collect huge rent checks for years.

I don't know if his holdings are passed to some scion of the family who has the warm fuzzies for Winter Park or if it gets sold off in pieces.

What I do know is that it was wealthy families in Winter Garden (the Ropers and Chicones) whose passionate interest in bringing Plant St. back from the dead made much of what has happened there possible. One can only hope for that in the next generation of Winter Park.

It was also local  families that brought the advanced manufacturing facility to Kissimmee - and the Orlando Soccer training facility. Much to the disdain of UP Lake Nona fan boys.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Maybe the Foundation will add to their holdings?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Long before there were oranges or tourists or endless strip centers and pseudo-towns (actually overgrown subdivisions), Florida was cattle country.

The man most responsible for Orlando being anything besides a wide spot in the road, Jacob Summerlin, was a cattleman.

The Polasek Museum in Winter Park is honoring this heritage with an exhibition through April:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0113-story.html

From the Sentinel 

If you’re one of those who’ve heard Florida has no past, here’s a great chance to find otherwise. In fact, Florida’s cattle industry predates most of the West’s, Hollywood’s inferences notwithstanding.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Long before there were oranges or tourists or endless strip centers and pseudo-towns (actually overgrown subdivisions), Florida was cattle country.

The man most responsible for Orlando being anything besides a wide spot in the road, Jacob Summerlin, was a cattleman.

The Polasek Museum in Winter Park is honoring this heritage with an exhibition through April:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0113-story.html

From the Sentinel 

If you’re one of those who’ve heard Florida has no past, here’s a great chance to find otherwise. In fact, Florida’s cattle industry predates most of the West’s, Hollywood’s inferences notwithstanding.

I occasionally enjoy watching Central Florida Road Trip, Ch 24/WUCF on Sunday afternoons. This particular 3 minute clip covers a couple of interesting points, including the (most likely) real origin of the name Orlando (it's not the soldier story) and then, at around 2:48, the true "wild west" nature of life on Orange Avenue in the 1870's. 

Hope y'all enjoyed that, pardners....:hi:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The final phase of the Denning Drive road diet and trail addition is under way.

Once complete, dcluley will be able continue on from Mead Garden (where OUT currently ends on to Webster Avenue (just north of WP Village).

https://bungalower.com/2019/01/28/denning-drive-multi-use-trail-enters-final-phase/

From Bungalower 

I don't know. I tend to avoid Orange/Mills/17/92 (whatever they call it there) northwest of Mead Gardens/Winter Park. That road is a death wish there west of lake Maitland.  Usually in that area I go through Winter Park on Park/Palmer/Via Tuscany to Horatio. Horatio still sucks to cross, but less bad than others. There is a pedestrian bridge I normally try to use on my north loop at Mayo/Maitland Boulevard area. They are also planning a pedestrian bridge over I-4 off Wymore. Of course, this is way out of your way if you are just trying to tool around Maitland.  If you are riding longer distance, check this route: https://www.strava.com/activities/1075974649

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Ravadauge project...

The first apartment building that's 7+ stories is complete now for a few months. 

The second building, which stalled out after concrete garage was erected, has continued at full steam, is topped off, with façade and roof elements, at 5-6 stories, and is looking good.  This one borders Lee Rd to the west of Dockside. 

There is a third building u/c, to the NW of the first building and north of the second building, recessed off of either roadway, using tilt wall, and it's going up fast.

Add to this, a Hilton Garden Inn, just west of Dockside along Lee Rd., is having site work done as we speak.

this property has gone from virtually nothing to all of this in just 1 1/2 years or so.

11 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So, the Ravadauge project...

The first apartment building that's 7+ stories is complete now for a few months. 

The second building, which stalled out after concrete garage was erected, has continued at full steam, is topped off, with façade and roof elements, at 5-6 stories, and is looking good.  This one borders Lee Rd to the west of Dockside. 

There is a third building u/c, to the NW of the first building and north of the second building, recessed off of either roadway, using tilt wall, and it's going up fast.

Add to this, a Hilton Garden Inn, just west of Dockside along Lee Rd., is having site work done as we speak.

this property has gone from virtually nothing to all of this in just 1 1/2 years or so.

Oddly, though, no updates on Peacock Ford.

Supposedly the Reids were getting pressure from Ford and.... nothing.

But that’s what happens when you have a file cabinet jockey running a ca - oops, truck company.

• Like 1

The tilt construction is about 5-story storage rentals.  There is site work due East of that.  ???  The building West of tilt wall is an assisted-living facility.  Looks like they started site work on a Springhill Suites by Marriott east of the original 7-story apartments.

Edited by cwetteland

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Oddly, though, no updates on Peacock Ford.

Supposedly the Reids were getting pressure from Ford and.... nothing.

But that’s what happens when you have a file cabinet jockey running a ca - oops, truck company.

I'd be surprised if they're not trying to find a location along I-4 and aren't investing in the existing store because of it.  That seems to be the M.O. for older dealerships.  The most notable example of that was Toyota and Lexus of Orlando moving from Colonial  to Millenia.  Well Lexus made a 2nd location.  Also Fields Mini moving from downtown to I-4 at Lee.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, codypet said:

I'd be surprised if they're not trying to find a location along I-4 and aren't investing in the existing store because of it.  That seems to be the M.O. for older dealerships.  The most notable example of that was Toyota and Lexus of Orlando moving from Colonial  to Millenia.  Well Lexus made a 2nd location.  Also Fields Mini moving from downtown to I-4 at Lee.

I assume that’s what they’re doing. I would have thought space in Eatonville would be available but nothing so far.

Or, who knows, since there’s another Ford dealer on 436 near Apopka (and 46 at the Sanford exit), maybe they want to be the first domestic car brand at Millenia.

Edited by spenser1058

15 hours ago, cwetteland said:

The tilt construction is about 5-story storage rentals.  There is site work due East of that.  ???  The building West of tilt wall is an assisted-living facility.  Looks like they started site work on a Springhill Suites by Marriott east of the original 7-story apartments.

the hotel(s)

east of the 7 story building is 17/92- is that where you mean?

the construction/site work I saw for a hotel is south of the 7 story building and adjacent to Gator's Dockside to the west along Lee Rd.

are we talking about the same thing, or are there two hotels getting built at Ravaudage?