Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

One thing that came to mind - the number of people who actually have any idea that Colonial Drive between Mills and OBT is 17-92 is minuscule (most also couldn’t tell you for that matter that OBT from Colonial Drive down through Kissimmee is also 17-92). 

It would totally confuse most Orlandoans who think 17-92 is just Mills and points north.

As smileguy points out, the only folks for whom it might matter are those trying to make heads or tails of a map.

Even worse, if that was what you were doing, it’s the worst possible route to get back to 17-92 as, on its best day, Colonial Drive is a complete abortion. It would make infinitely more sense to guide them to Princeton as traffic is much better.

When that designation was done in the ‘50’s, it was to get people off the predecessor, Orange Ave. It was a brand new road with lots of capacity. Today, it’s just an anachronism.

So cool stuff, but did you mean to say “abortion?” I don’t understand its meaning in this context.

It has a lot to do with the federal designation.  There's a reason 17 and 92 are first.  They're federal roads.   The SR 50 designation is the least important.

As for Princeton.  It's no longer a State Road so the State likes to avoid diverting traffic on local roads if it can.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

It has a lot to do with the federal designation.  There's a reason 17 and 92 are first.  They're federal roads.   The SR 50 designation is the least important.

As for Princeton.  It's no longer a State Road so the State likes to avoid diverting traffic on local roads if it can.

But why do Colonial Dr and OBT bear the 17-92 name especially when they run parallel or intersect it? So confusing. Even though I've lived here since '90 I still get lost... even with GPS lol.

The short answer to this is that the US designations are "route" designations, not road designations.  A "route" such as US 17 or US 92 can be comprised of many different "roads" along the way, and can sometimes coincide with other "routes" as in this case, where that stretch of the road known as Colonial is simultaneously designated as US 17, US 92, and State Road 50. OBT also happens to be US 441, so that portion of the road known as OBT is simultaneously US 17, US 92, and US 441 as well as State Road 500 and State Road 600 (neither of which designation people use very often). 

Can lead to some confusing areas with signs like this: 

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you think of them truly as routes and not roads, then it makes sense. 

Edit:

@dcluley98 beat me to it.  I'll add a route like 441 turns east in Kissimmee and works its way to Miami.  If you're trying to go from Miami to Gatlinburg, you'd take 441.  If you were trying to from Miami to Daytona and stop at Gatorland along the way, you'd take 441 to 92.  Miami to Charleston, SC? 441 to 17.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

Ahh, that kinda makes more sense and also explains why my GPS takes forever to regurgitate every single alias whenever I turn onto OBT :blink:. I always thought it meant if you stayed on the road long enough it would eventually lead to or intersect with 17-92... still confusing though.

Mark at The Daily City has some before and after pics of the old WP Masonic Lodge which is being renovated for offices on the ground floor.

Many times, buildings that appear beyond hope can in fact be resurrected with some TLC,  improving the neighborhood while preserving its character at the same time.

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/z-properties-renovation-lodge

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a lot of real trees and other plants going in there.  Also, along the fence there appears to be young vine plants.  With see the chillers and other mechanical equipment behind the fence, I'd say this is a pretty good idea.  Looks a bit like the tree background to the fence is just a way to expedite the greening while the vines are filling in.  I'm all kinds of good with this.

Edited by cwetteland
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OBJ suggests the Henderson Hotel project along Lake Killarney in WP may be back in play (yes, take that with a grain of salt - paywall).

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/11/heres-why-this-developer-wants-to-build-a.html

Here’s some background on the idea from The Observer several months back:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/winter-park-city-commission-considers-more-parking-at-mlk-jr-park?amp

(Scroll down)

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Winter Park is once again discussing the purchase of the post office on New York Avenue with thoughts of expanding Central Park.

Generally, park expansion is a laudable goal, especially because the park isn’t all that big to start with.

Nevertheless, the building is an attractive mid-60’s structure with lots of glass and an amazing abstract mural built into the front wall. It reflects the open feel of the decade before events dragged down not only our politics but also led to the closed-off buildings of the 1970s. We have relatively few examples of such architecture, especially in Winter Park.

This one is worth following.

https://bungalower.com/2019/10/14/winter-park-commission-considers-acquiring-downtown-post-office/

From Bungalower

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Nevertheless, the building is an attractive mid-60’s structure with lots of glass and an amazing abstract mural built into the front wall. It reflects the open feel of the decade before events dragged down not only our politics but also led to the closed-off buildings of the 1970s. We have relatively few examples of such architecture, especially in Winter Park.

That's a pretty generous description imo, however they could expand the park and leave the building. I'm sure there's something they could do with it in context of the park. The parking lot on either side takes up a ton of space that could be turned into park area.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, sethM said:

That's a pretty generous description imo, however they could expand the park and leave the building. I'm sure there's something they could do with it in context of the park. The parking lot on either side takes up a ton of space that could be turned into park area.

Restrooms!