Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

30 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Restrooms!

I was thinking it's way too big of a building to just have restrooms but then I was thinking the Art Festival gets setup all around the building, maybe they could have a large amount of restrooms for that instead of all the portajohns. Or if they wanted to make money they could make it a VIP area for the Art Festival with chairs, food, ac, and restrooms.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-20191117-6ljzwc7xefahpe5g7sehp6i5gm-story.html

Joy Wallace Dickinson, the keeper of Central Florida history at the Sentinel, tells the story of how the Morse Museum came to be and why it is a crown jewel of our arts offerings.

So often, folks who move here like to complain that “Orlando is just an arts desert”. Whenever I hear that, I always like to ask which of our museums and shows they’ve visited. I usually get crickets.

While I find OMA to be a little soulless myself and the Phil just hasn’t been able to snare the sort of endowment that would allow them to compete with orchestras in cities like Cleveland or even Atlanta, we have our gems like the Morse that places like NYC have attempted to poach.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-20191117-6ljzwc7xefahpe5g7sehp6i5gm-story.html

It’s from the Sentinel and yes, there’s a paywall. I’ve led the charge to disparage our hometown newspaper as Tronc tried to loot it from Chicago. I still bemoan the corporate decision to essentially merge the paper with Lauderdale’s.

However, the worst seems to have passed (including the name Tronc). The Sentinel has been doing some amazing local journalism of late and trying to keep its best columnists and reporters. It also has the most coverage of UCF sports - Charge On!

Since local TV long ago surrendered to, “if it bleeds it leads”, the Sentinel (and to a lesser extent, WUCF) are what we rely on to keep our local institutions honest. The deep dive into corruption at MCO is just one great example.

As a result, I subscribe (if you work at it, you can do so for as little as $7.50/month) and recommend you do so also. It’s important that a major city have a quality newspaper.

• Like 4

A landmark Winter Park (sort of) restaurant gets a cameo in John Grisham’s new thriller, “The Guardian”.

That it is one of our best local steakhouses is without question (despite the meh location).

Oddly, however, the owner says he had no knowledge of it happening before seeing it in print. *cue dramatic theme*

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4952-local-restaurant-has-cameo-in-latest-grisham-novel

From Scott J

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Edyth Bush Foundation wants to tear down its offices on Welbourne Ave. in downtown WP and replace it with a building ~70% larger (3 floors vs.  2):

https://bungalower.com/2019/12/03/edyth-bush-foundation-trying-to-glow-up-its-office-building/

From Bungalower 

At the present moment the 2nd floor is completely empty. It was occupied by a Dentist who built a practice on Fairbanks ave. Frankly there wasn’t much activity when the Dentist was there and there is much less activity now. I don’t see the need for a 3rd floor. But hey, what do I know. If it is built it will be the most modern looking building in Downtown Winter Park.

• Thanks 1

The Gap on Park Avenue will close after this Christmas.

I still don't understand how iconic brands like The Gap can't see major changes in their own industries coming until they have been made almost extinct by them.

How did The Gap not see H&M et al coming and make necessary adjustments to their business?

Edited by Camillo Sitte

On 11/17/2019 at 8:08 PM, orlandoguy said:

I agree with the comments about the quality of journalism at the OS. There definitely seems to be more spring in their step than there used to be. Jason Garcia’s multi-part series on corporations avoiding taxes in the state of Florida is just the latest example.

Support local journalism!

Well, they could still use another two or three copy editors.

Here's an example from an article today about the Park Avenue Gap store closure which I referenced above:

"The closure comes after the company announced in February that it would shut down about 230 stores over the next two years. The Winter Park location is the third in Florida selected to close since then, according to a list on Gap’s website.

The Winter Park store has joined other big-name brands on the avenue, including Restoration Hardware, Alex and Ani, Pottery Barn and Lilly Pulitzer, as well as independently owned boutiques and restaurants."

???

"[H]as joined"? "[H]as joined" other stores in what? Closing, opening decades ago, what?

Edited by Camillo Sitte

7 hours ago, codypet said:

Restoration Hardware closed.  The rest of them are still open right?

When did RH close? They were very much open last time I looked.  I did try to go to Colonial Drugs today to find them closed (I'm not often in the neighborhood.) I got what I needed from Taylor's Pharmacy, but they'd be wise to step up their OTC offerings. 

10 hours ago, codypet said:

Restoration Hardware closed.  The rest of them are still open right?

No, none of the others mentioned have closed - that was my point about the Sentinel needing more copy editors.

I suspect that what the author meant to say was something like, "After spending two decades on Park Avenue alongside other big-name national stores like Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn, the Gap is now set to close after this Christmas season.".

Edited by Camillo Sitte

Colonial drugs closed up their pharmacy and integrated all of their business with the one remaining pharmacy in Deltona

6 hours ago, smileguy said:

When did RH close? They were very much open last time I looked.  I did try to go to Colonial Drugs today to find them closed (I'm not often in the neighborhood.) I got what I needed from Taylor's Pharmacy, but they'd be wise to step up their OTC offerings. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

As expected, Park Avenue’s GAP will likely be gone by the end of the month.

9000+ sf, a relatively large amount on the Avenue, will be available. Any thoughts on what’s next? 

Ooooohhhh!!!! Let's hope they follow the lead of Market at Southside and treat us to another one of these classy joints....

l.jpg

And if another tenant moves out, maybe we can get, do I dare hope... a Ross?? 

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

As expected, Park Avenue’s GAP will likely be gone by the end of the month.

9000+ sf, a relatively large amount on the Avenue, will be available. Any thoughts on what’s next? 

Ooooohhhh!!!! Let's hope they follow the lead of Market at Southside and treat us to another one of these classy joints....

l.jpg

And then, could a Dollar Tree be far behind????

Oh, to dream....

Don't know why it double posted the entire thing.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, codypet said:

The way Ross has been sprouting up, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a Ross.  Some Orlando locations are literally across the street from each other.  In the case of Millenia, in the same plaza.

Maybe because I worked in retail stores where everything was stocked in lots of sizes, neat and orderly and curated to the type of customer you had, treasure hunt stores like Ross make me crazy. I apparently am one of the few shoppers left in America who feels that way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

To be fair to K&G, during the recession I knew a couple of guys that were able to buy nice attire for interviewing there.  I've never shopped there personally, but I admire that.

Yeah, I've never bought anything there either, but mainly because they didn't have anything in my size. Also because I only dress casually anymore and have no need for suits or the more dressy, professional attire they mainly concentrate on.

But I've visited the one on E. Colonial and they do have decent deals on decent merchandise, though in a "no frills" environment. 

My joking reference to them, Ross and DT, was only made because they are all so non-Park Avenue-ish and would never get anywhere near the place.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah, I've never bought anything there either, but mainly because they didn't have anything in my size. Also because I only dress casually anymore and have no need for suits or the more dressy, professional attire they mainly concentrate on.

But I've visited the one on E. Colonial and they do have decent deals on decent merchandise, though in a "no frills" environment. 

My joking reference to them, Ross and DT, was only made because they are all so non-Park Avenue-ish and would never get anywhere near the place.

As Rob Morse, former Sentinel columnist who went back to San Francisco convinced we were all a bunch of rubes, once pointed out, a shopping street with a 7-Eleven at one end and a dinner theater at the other (now the Morse) is hardly making Worth Avenue or Rodeo Drive shake in their Gucci boots.

Still, it’s probably moot as Park is turning mostly in to food and drink these days, anyway.

I still miss the BEEFY King at Fairbanks and Park across from Miller’s Hardware myself.

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

l.jpg

l.jpg

And then, could a Dollar Tree be far behind????

Oh, to dream....

Don't know why it double posted the entire thing.

What’s wrong with K&G?