Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

I had always wondered if Rollins and/or the University of Tampa would seek to grow  and move to the next tier of private schools as their cities grew.

They seem to have made the decision to remain small. Of course, upping your game to the level of a Vandy, Emory or Duke requires quite an endowment (Emory, for example, runs on Coca-Cola money). It would be interesting to watch Rollins grow, extending the campus down Fairbanks most likely.

Otoh, Rollins is still one of the most beautiful campuses in the country and to grow significantly would affect not only the school but, by extension, Winter Park.

In a gentler time, the mantra of conservatives was, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Maybe that applies here.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I had always wondered if Rollins and/or the University of Tampa would seek to grow  and move to the next tier of private schools as their cities grew.

They seem to have made the decision to remain small. Of course, upping your game to the level of a Vandy, Emory or Duke requires quite an endowment (Emory, for example, runs on Coca-Cola money). It would be interesting to watch Rollins grow, extending the campus down Fairbanks most likely.

Otoh, Rollins is still one of the most beautiful campuses in the country and to grow significantly would affect not only the school but, by extension, Winter Park.

In a gentler time, the mantra of conservatives was, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Maybe that applies here.

Rollins doesn’t need to “grow” per say to gain stature in the liberal arts colleges lane — see Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, the Pomona colleges. They are a well regarded regional college that seems well connected locally. 

I always thought Stetson was well positioned to grow and expand, although they seem to be pretty context to also remain a regional player.

• Like 1

The Ruth’s Chris steak house at Winter Park Village will be torn down and rebuilt. The new version will be about 1500sf larger.

The article also notes the lifestyle Center is still up for sale if you have an extra $150 mil sitting around.

https://bungalower.com/2020/01/12/winter-park-steakhouse-to-be-razed-and-rebuilt/

From Bungalower 

• Like 1

When it comes to cranky politics, WP is still the champ! A 12-hour meeting and still zero decisions- is this a great country or what?

These two perennials - the Canopy  project and the Orange Ave. Overlay - still await action by the city commission. Stay tuned!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-winter-park-canopy-construction-price-20200114-fcnbfdoeqvdcxc6b4ilozt4x54-story.html

From the Sentinel 

What could be the future of Orange Ave. over the next decade in WP. Check out Demetree’s plans for Winter Park Station (including the old Lombardi’s Seafood building).

Keep in mind this is Winter Park and they’ll likely argue about it all long past the time Buddy finally decides to retire next door in Orlando:

https://bungalower.com/2020/01/20/winter-park-approves-overlay-district/

From Bungalower 

Ravadauge:

So, the first hotel is being built out along Lee Rd. and west of Ale House.  It looks sharp and ornate; reminds me of the Alfond Inn in a way.

That being said, as of earlier today, the hotel spoken of before slated to front 17/92, well, there is finally movement on the property.  The parcel is now getting dug on.  It might be the same construction crew as the other hotel. 

That development is going to look sharp when it nears completion.

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

went to downtown Winter Park for the first time today and I see why people love that town and suburb.  Very nice.  Love their signage for businesses. Pottery Barn   in the old theater looked great.  Drove through some the neighborhoods near Rollins College too very pretty.

You certainly get around in a short amount of time and seem to have good orientation of the greater Orlando area, kudos. (I get lost very easily, even with GPS lol.)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably leave downtown Orlando for WP but hindsight is 20/20. The older I get, the more I appreciate WP's sanitized city, streetscape, stability and safety.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

You certainly get around in a short amount of time and seem to have good orientation of the greater Orlando area, kudos. (I get lost very easily, even with GPS lol.)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably leave downtown Orlando for WP but hindsight is 20/20. The older I get, the more I appreciate WP's sanitized city, streetscape, stability and safety.

Hey I like to see what makes a city tick so I always head downtown and can judge a city from how its downtown is and then I like non touristy places.  Sure did I stay on International Drive sure did and went to the Madame Tussauds and your ICON Wheel but I like to explore and see where the real folks live.  Driving from Winter Park to Lake Nona I saw areas few tourists see LOL.  

Winter Park is a great little suburb and I can see why people really like it. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Hey I like to see what makes a city tick so I always head downtown and can judge a city from how its downtown is and then I like non touristy places.  Sure did I stay on International Drive sure did and went to the Madame Tussauds and your ICON Wheel but I like to explore and see where the real folks live.  Driving from Winter Park to Lake Nona I saw areas few tourists see LOL.  

Winter Park is a great little suburb and I can see why people really like it. 

It even made it into the original Preppy Handbook!

BTW, as a Charlotte resident, you might like this: the Iveys’ likely bought Yowell-Drew and brought the department store chain south to Florida as a result of vacationing in WP during the winter (basically the reverse of what we Florida leaf-peepers do in NC during the fall...) 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

So, you're saying it does fit?

I was going to say - we’re talking Winter Park, for heaven’s sake.

Further, this is located in an area that has no dominant architectural style (especially with the demise of the Mt. Vernon Inn, the predominant aesthetic is highway bland).

Given the state office building (that forced the rerouting of I4) that would fit into a retro modern motif has been there since the ‘50’s, I think WP picked a good place to try out some avant-garde. There’s certainly more effort attempted here than in the nearby fast fooderies.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1